MP3 players... does anyone use them anymore?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 12, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Now with the majority of people owning a smart phone, I don't really see the point of having an mp3 player anymore. EVERYONE used to walk around with one of those, but now we just keep the music in our phone. The phone is always with you, and so is your music.

So does anyone still use an MP3 player? Maybe when doing sports? Or maybe just because you feel like it's more convenient that way, so you don't have to take out your phone when you wish to change a song etc?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never bought an mp3 player for the same reason that you stated, because a phone can now also play mp3's, so I'd rather just carry my phone to be able to listen to music rather than to carry a separate mp3 player.

3. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I think most people use their smartphones now. I remember MP3 players, ipods specifically, used to be very popular when I was in JR high. That was when everyone would carry around their flip phone and ipod. Then the Iphone came out but not a lot of people could get their hands on one or afford it. Pretty soon it became popular for touch screen phones and eventually they turned into MP3 players also and that's when I think they died out. They still might be useful for kids or if you want to save some of your phone battery but I don't see too many of them around now days.

4. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think anyone really still uses them. Almost everyone owns a smartphone nowadays and they listen to music on that. I also can't remember using an MP3 player. I think the last was my iPod Touch.

5. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I do believe that MP3 players are almost a thing of the past, but I have found a particular use for my iPod shuffle. And I use it when I go for my morning run. I use the shuffle instead of the smartphone because I can safely clip on my shuffle to my T-shirt and forget about it while the smartphone feels bulky in the pocket. And also there is a chance that while running the smartphone might fall out of my pocket due to the reason that my body is in constant motion.

6. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I still use an MP3 player from Sandisk. It holds 2GB's of songs and that's really enough. I use it primarily for long plane or train rides or in the car attached to my cassette player. I wouldn't use my smartphone for playing music, since it's battery life isn't that long.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I do solely because I don't have a smartphone, although my phone itself could play music if I were to install the software and bother transferring files over etc. Admittedly though the standalone mp3 player is indeed a dying breed.

8. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No one. Every one has a Smart phone these days, and the fact that they play mp3 files render mp3 players obsolete. There is simply no need for them anymore.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I would still bring my MP3 player when I travel, mainly as a backup. For example, when I take a flight, I would rather use my MP3 because at least I don't have to consume the battery of my phone. My experience in the past is that when I step out of the plane, I basically have no more phone to use because it got drained. It's still good to have something else to use aside from your phone.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I still listen to my iPod Shuffle everyday. Now yes its a thing of the past basically, but I don't like the idea of having to pull out my phone every time I want to change the song, obviously there are headphones that have controls on them, but I don't know, I really don't like using my phone as my main music player. And when I'm running or at the gym, I don't like to bring phone along, its too heavy inside my pockets, and I don't have to worry about it getting pummeled.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have any use for them personally. Even if there are smaller more compact mp3 players out there, they are still too underpowered to play through my headphones. When I bought my last mp3 player, the Microsoft Zune, years ago I also picked up a pair of Shure earbuds for like $250 to go along with it. The earbuds themselves sound amazing when plugged into my computer, but plugged into a portable device like my Zune or a portable CD player, there was a noticeable loss in sound quality and volume. It was as if there wasn't enough power going to them, similar to car audio minus a good amplifier.

I seldom listen to music when I am walking around, because I don't want to be clueless as to what's going on around me - like if a car lost control or something, and swerved off the road. Plus I don't want to drain the battery on my phone, which already can barely get me through a few hours. So I don't even use my phone as an mp3 player either. I mainly just listen to stuff right off my computer.

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I some situations yes, I still use them. Since I travel a lot and to remote locations it happens often that I find myself without a recharging spot. So, carrying and MP3 player along with my phone is really useful. At some point I used to have two of them when traveling with me but I admit, that was overkill. And why not? Since they are almost obsolete buying one is inexpensive. Not to mention you can find them all over the place since their time has passed.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I still use my MP3 for several occassions. I like using it more than my phone when I'm working out and not drain my phone's battery. Also, if I lose it somehow, it's not nearly as big a deal if I lose my phone. Also like using my MP3 when I travel for the same reasons.

14. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I still use an mp3 player mainly because it still works and is smaller than my smartphone. When i go running I do not want the smartphone to be bouncing around or falling out of a pocket and breaking. Eventually when the mp3 breaks I will just use the smartphone. Another plus is that it can go around a week without charging so I do not have to drain the smartphone battery.

15. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I think MP3 players are a niche that smartwatches can better fulfill. I think they have great potential at knocking MP3 players completely out of the picture if they are marketed with the idea of being able to where the device your music can not only be controlled and come from through the speaker, but you can also listen to it through a wireless bluetooth headset. I still use an MP3 player, but I no longer want to have to pull it from my pocket attached by string to my earpieces and the same thing goes for a smartphone.

16. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I still do. It's rather more convenient to use when doing my morning routine exercises. It has been with me for 5 years now and it has given me memories I'd treasure for the rest of my life.

17. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I still do maybe because of old habit. When doing some jogging it will be ridiculous to use a smartphone. Personally I use my iPod or MP3 player. In fact am trying to get an MP3 player just recently released by Sony that is water proof.