Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for saving your shoes

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Zyni • Dec 2, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This isn't a new product, but it is a great one, and this is a new use for it. Clean your shoes (like gym/tennis/athletic/running shoes) with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and they will look like new. Now, if they're too far gone, it's obvious that nothing will help. If however, your shoes need a cleaning, you will be amazed how great they will look after using this item to wash them up. I had a pair of Reebok's that had seen better days, and I cleaned them up with the Eraser. They looked great, and I was able to keep them a lot longer. Spending a couple bucks on this product can save a pair of shoes and make them last longer, which will save you a lot of money.

I've also used the off brand sponges of this type. This is one of my favorite products. So many uses and works great.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That is only one of the many great uses for Magic Erasers. I have indeed used them on my shoes, as well as bath tubs, walls, baseboards, cabinets, kitchen drawers... One of the best cleaning tools every invented. I could not do move out cleanings without them, they are so good.

3. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    If you want the cleaning power of Magic Erasers without the huge markup, you can buy the same material in bulk from many retailers. It should be available at just about any hardware store. Ask for melamine foam. It's the same stuff as they use in the Mr. Clean stuff except perhaps it's cut differently, or doesn't contain any scents. Functionally, it should be exactly the same!

Fairly certain you can purchase via Amazon as well.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a great tip, Nonsiccus! I didn't know that. I do sometimes buy the no-name version instead of the brand name ones, but I didn't know you could buy this in bulk. That's terrific. It should be easy enough to cut to a handy size. I will definitely look into it. I don't know how people get by without this stuff. It's one of the best cleaning options I've ever used.

5. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    You can buy the off-brands or generic melamine foam but it's not as good. I still buy it in bulk because it's so cheap through Amazon - I get 50 at a time for less than $10 there. The no-name versions do not last as long as they fall apart much easier, but they do still work for cleaning.

I've used these for athletic shoes many times. They work wonders but many of the sneakers will shred the foam because of those little airholes in the sides of most athletic shoes today. Always clean them over a sheet of newspaper or directly over the trash if you don't want a mess to sweep up after.

I could do commercials for these as I rave about them to everyone. I've taken crayon off the walls and even marker after it being there for several years. This completely amazed a friend of mine.

6. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on the foam density that you buy. The cheaper it is, the less dense the foam is going to be. Vice versa, if you look for higher density melamine foam then you'll end up with a pad that will hold for much longer than a magic eraser. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worthwhile, but in my experience, the cheaper stuff will go further simply because you don't need to be that vigorous when cleaning using the foam. Just gentle rubbing will do the trick for the majority of jobs.

7. LokoLobo

LokoLoboNew Member

Threads:
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser's are Awesome!
    I've never tried them on my shoes, but I have used them on so many other things.
    I was sold on them the day my wife told me to try one on my 90 gallon aquarium. It had a couple years of algae and mineral build up, I had used almost every thing I could think of to clean the glass from steel wool, to CLR, and still I couldn't get the glass clean.
    And then with just water and a Magic Eraser it was clean! No hard scrubbing or soaking, just a couple of rubs and the glass was crystal clear again.
    I don't know how those things are made, or how they work, but they really do work.
    They are just amazing.

8. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I have not use the is product in a long time, but I can attest to it's greatness. When I first use this product I was amazed at how well it worked! It is especially great if you have small children.

9. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    You might want to be careful about using melamine foam for fish tanks as it could severely unbalance the pH after you add water back in if it hasn't been sufficiently flushed. Depending on how hardy your fish are, this may cause some health problems or even deaths if they're particularly delicate.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many uses for the Cleaning Sponges. I like to clean the walls with sponges to get all the hand prints off the doors.

11. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I never cared much about the cleanliness of my shoes. I don't wear them in the house anyway. But these days I wear black leather loafers. Can this be used on leather ? Otherwise when they get dusty I bang them against the wall and use a damp rag to clean them off.

12. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    There is a gentleman where I work that brought in a whole bag of these magic erasers. My boss gave me quite a few and over all I like them, they do a fantastic job. I have only one complaint, they are not good for heavy duty cleaning like washing the woodworking around doors and stuff like that. They tend to disintegrate very fast and leave little bits on the surface. It's a shame because they cleaned great till that point. It is a great product wish it was a bit more durable.

13. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Last night I was cleaning a friends house for the christmas holidays so me and my wife decided that we will take a look under the counter and when we did we discovered a Mr Clean magic eraser. We used on a stove that had lots of grime on it and let me tell you that thing worked like a charm and honestly after using it I am seriously a believer in it now.

14. blasianchick

blasianchickNew Member

Threads:
    I heard a friend passingly mention this stuff but nver saw or heard of it since. I've never used it but want to try it. My main concern is, has anyone tried using this to erase pen marks? Like, off the wall? Or maybe on doll baby vinyl? I have yet to find the right product to combat pen ink stains. Ugh! So frustrating. Maybe magic erasers would work?

15. MsCalamityJane

MsCalamityJaneNew Member

Threads:
    I really like the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers brand. The handles they sell for them are very helpful too.

Just don't ever use them on your skin. I made the mistake of not reading the instructions and thinking they were like any other sponge. Big mistake on my part! I ended up with a scabbed over patch on my arm, which took months to heal and then left a dark colored scar after that. Yikes!

Thanks for sharing all the different uses for them. :)

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another vote for Magic Eraser here! They really are fantastic and get rid of a multitude of marks and stains. I have saved so much money over the years by being able to rejuvenate items. Every home should have them!