Multiple uses of baking soda

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Bloomatic • Nov 6, 2012.

1. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This time I want to share with you the different uses that we can give to baking soda, a product that we all have in our pantry. These tips are ideal for all women who like to take care of beauty with simple solutions.

Scrub. Baking soda has the ability to neutralize acids and oxidizing prematurely age skin. In half a cup of oatmeal, mix two teaspoons of baking soda and one part water. Use it as an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells and give your skin a break.

Purify your hair. Hair treatments often leave a layer of chemicals known as build-up. Over time, this layer is removing shine and movement to your hair. In a half-liter bottle of water add three teaspoons of baking. Once a week, after shampooing, pour a solution of baking soda in your hair, do a massage from root to tip and rinse. Baking remove chemical residue, leaving your hair cleaner and better fall.

Deodorant. When cosmetics and cleaners wasn't the monster that is now toxic, our grandmothers used bicarbonate to eliminate odors. Baking doesn't cover the smell with perfumes, but actually eliminates odor, to balance the acidity and alkalinity levels that enable the proliferation of fungi or bacteria, are significantly reduced root causes of odor. Try as deodorant staff: four teaspoons of baking mix with ten drops of your favorite essential oil and apply some to your armpits. See measuring the amount and frequency of application according to your needs.

Prepare your manicure. Dip the tip of your fingers and a little baking massage the cuticle and nail. Add a few drops of honey and water to extend treatment to the wrist. Baking soda isn't only a good scrub, also slows the growth of the cuticle and callus formation, and helps keep your nails healthy.

Clean white smile. Once or twice a week, brush your teeth with baking soda and a second time with toothpaste. The bicarbonate acts as a bleach and preventive agent. By balancing the pH of the mucous membranes, also helps prevent bad breath.

These are some of the uses of this preparation. You know other homemade recipes to use baking soda in the care of personal aesthetics? :D

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The only other use for baking soda that I can think of at the moment, is to treat bee stings and bug bites. A thick paste mix of baking soda and water gently bushed on to the area of sting or bite will take away the urge to itch, reduce pain and help to prevent infection. In the case of a sting, you do need to remove the stinger first. It also helps to cover the paste with a bandage of sometype for a little while. This keeps the paste from just falling off.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I hate using baking soda as a deodorant. I feel like it just gets chalky and flakes away. I wish I could find some way to improve the consistency of it, else I'd absolutely use baking soda as a deodorant.

4. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Baking soda works miracles as far as I'm concerned. This is what my mom taught us when we were coming up. She said use this in your bathwater, brush your teeth, and then for under arms to keep you smelling fresh all day long. You can't just pile it on but sprinkle it on like a powder under the arms and you will be fine. But all those tips that you have given is great and I will be doing it for my hair also, which I didn't know about. If I come across any tips, I will share them with you guys also.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that baking soda has so many uses. I just use it in my refrigerator to keep odors at bay. My Mom does use it as a toothpaste.

6. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I also have that same problem, when it dries it just flakes away. I think the baking soda should be mixed with some kind of cream to keep it in place.
    But, baking soda does work in eliminating odors, is non-toxic and has no annoying perfumes added which make my head hurt.. :cool:

7. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    wow i just use baking soda for just cooking never thought it can be used for all of that. Thanks for the tips.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about mixing it with shea butter, but I feel like it would still have a weird grainy consistency. Then again, I've never tried it, so maybe it works?

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I use it with lime to brush my teeth for white shiny teeth.
    I have known that people use it as a deodorant, but I have never tried it.
    In half a bucket of warm water I add one tablespoon of baking soda to clean the insides of my fridge once a week. This prevents odors and any bacterial or fungal growths.
    I have never used it on my hair. Thanks for this share.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it's definitely awesome for cleaning the fridge, and also for getting baked-on stuff off of your pans and baking sheets.

11. Alma

AlmaNew Member

Threads:
    I heard you can use baking soda once every other day to wash, cleanse, detoxify and de-clog your hair follicles or any dirt, grime, excess sebum and even product residue build up. Apparently there are good results for hair texture and volume if you use it regular.

12. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that baking soda can be mixed with vinegar to unclog drains. I've also heard that it can be used with laundry detergent when washing clothes. At times I use it to brush my teeth and I love how clean my mouth feels afterwards. I've also used it to clean the bathtub when I was out of bathtub cleaner. I tried using it as a facial scrub mixed with water, but it was too irritating.

13. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    Ok, most of these I knew about. All except the use of baking soda in the hair. I can vouch for all the others as I've tried them myself or seen them in work. So, thanks for adding to my pool of knowledge

14. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It is definitely a product that offers an enormous range of utilities. Uses in household cleaning and maintenance of the small details are also interesting. Of course the baking soda doesn't replace traditional cleaning products, but it is an interesting alternative to consider when we don't have a specific product in our house. Many thanks for sharing these new tips. :)

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda certainly has a whole lot of uses. I knew about cleaning your teeth with it, although I'm not sure I like doing it because of the taste. I hadn't heard about using it for your hair though, interesting bit of information. As someone said it can also be used as a drain cleaner along with vinegar. It can also be used as a household cleaner.

16. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I use it in the laundry, and I also keep a box in the fridge to eliminate odors. I've tried it to relieve bug bites, but I didn't find that it worked particularly well. I have heard about people using it as a toothpaste and deodorant, but the powdered format seems too much of an awkward inconvenience to bother.

17. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard using baking soda and vinegar to unclog drains. The chemical reaction between the two will help unclog them; I've never tried it but I totally believe that it would work. I use baking soda to brush my teeth; it really does feel good and clean, afterwards. I had to get used to the taste, but I actually bought some "tooth soap" from a seller on Etsy and now my teeth have never been better. I've used it as a facial and body scrub, but you must be careful. It will be irritating, like you said, if you do not use enough water or you use too much baking soda. I also "oil cleanse," which is when you use oil to wash your face - so I'll mix a lot of water and some baking soda to create a paste, then use some oil to insure that the baking soda won't be too harsh.

18. healthgeek

healthgeekNew Member

Threads:
    My friend recommended me the great uses for baking soda a few months back and I am pleased with the benefits of this eco-friendly cleaning aid! I use it in laundry. I also mix with vinegar to wash the toilet bowl and scrub the floor. It is really effective with removing stains. The toilet bowl shines after cleaning!! Those black stains in between tiles were gone after scrubbing...I was so amazed!! So no more of inhaling these strong smelling chemical cleaners and I also save on my cleaning products with this wonder product!

19. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I use baking soda and vinegar regularly in homemade cleaning solutions, as a natural cleaning method to avoid harmful chemicals in my household. They are especially useful for cleaning sinks, tubs, and toilets, as previously mentioned. Sometimes I sprinkle some in my garbage can in order to absorb odor. I also use it in the baby diaper pail to absorb bad baby diaper odors. Works like a charm! Baking soda is a great, inexpensive, safe cleaning method to use.

20. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I've used baking soda for so many things from brushing my teeth, whitening laundry and using it as a floor powder before vacuuming. I find that it is a smell neutralizer and is not overpowering like many of the scented floor powders that really get to you and make you feel like you're breathing in a bunch of chemicals. I got a huge bag of baking powder at Sam's Club and it is amazing how long it lasts! I know some people keep it in their fridge to keep things fresh but I haven't noticed this has helped at all.