Music in stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mistymi • Mar 13, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Anyone else bothered by music in stores? It's everywhere now. I went to a Barnes and Noble recently and I was surprised they would play music inside a book store! My local Fry's has music too, but sounds from games, computers and other electronics make it less noticeable. Old Navy is my least favorite music playing store. I can't stand how loud it is and their choice of songs. Every grocery store I've shopped at recently plays music too but it's not as loud as clothing stores. Certain stores play music that makes sense like the Disney Store and certain clothing ones but most of the time music has not enhanced my shopping experience. You can't please everyone when it comes to music though. When do you like music in stores and when do you get annoyed and want to leave?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind stores play music. I like it actually because it lightens up the atmosphere and won't feel so bland. However, I hate it if the store blasts the music so loud it deafens the ear. I've been to a store once where the music is so loud I can't hear what my friend was saying. I left and never returned to that store.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am especially annoyed by the stupid brainwashing music in Woolworths. Every 15 minutes I hear about the Freshfood people who allegedly care about me. I am also annoyed by the smells that they are pumping out of secret vents to encourage me to buy coffee or baking goods.
    Whenever I go to a big mall, I get overwhelmed by the sounds, smells and bright lights, so I tend to keep that trip off as long as I can.

4. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you about stores that play super loud music, to the point that you can't hear the person standing right next to you. It's exceptionally irritating. Other than the music being crazy loud or constant advertisements, I'm more than a little confused as to why music in stores would be irritating. Most stores have their music at a pretty normal level, and I sure wouldn't want to walk around in a vacuum of silence. I don't always like every song played, but I'm not the only customer in the store. I don't see the problem with music really.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm more aggravated when stores DON'T play music. I remember one time, I walked into a pretty deserted shoe store. Every employee in the place looked at me when I walked in, during which I quickly realized there was no music playing in the store! Jokingly, trying to combat the awkwardness, I said to the employees, "Gee, you guys need some music in here!" It didn't go over well. I left in probably two minutes. As long as the music isn't crazy loud, I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by it. A book store isn't a library, so it's not like people are in there reading for hours and hours.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with you. My topic is a bit of a silly rant and I would rather not have posted it.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind when it's just a little low ambient music, but it's especially aggravating in clothing stores when they now just pump super loud pop music all day long. I came here to get a new pair of trousers, not a headache.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't seem to mind if the store that I shop in plays loud or soothing music, I seem to be immune to noise already. But over here, whenever I'm at the mall, I don't see much stores playing music. They're probably cost-cutting. I think I would only be annoyed if the music is too loud to the extent that the saleslady and I can't understand each other.

9. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    Most of the time, music in stores is awful. I typically don't pay too much attention to it, but sometimes (namely record stores) it's too loud to ignore. I guess I should be more tolerant of other people's preferences, but most of the time it's just not my cup of tea.

10. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind it, in fact I rarely notice it anymore. It seems that we are so used to so much sound that it's only that I notice when a store is unusually quiet, no music not noise other than what the people actually make, that I take notice. I haven't really heard "quiet" in a very long time.

11. postergirl

postergirlMember

Threads:
    I agree! Music in stores is distracting. Ecspecially in Book Stores! Hard to believe they play music in an environment that is usually very quiet. I expect Music in the Clothing and accessory stores for teen-aged girls. I have been in Sirens in our local Mall and I have left more than a few times because I literally have to yell to my sister so she can hear what I'm saying!

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like music on stores. It's OK if they are very low, just as a background sound, but it's awful when you can't even hear others as you are looking at the products. I'm also not crazy for loud music on restaurants. If a person wants to listen to music, they can go to a bar, club music festival, concert or something like that.

13. JoJoYorkshire

JoJoYorkshireNew Member

Threads:
    I like music if it suits the store - a couple of my favourite clothes shops play really loud music but it totally fits in with their style etc and so it works, other clothes shops would just be weird if they did that! Book shops though should be off limits!!!! That's like playing music in the library lol, I'm not a big fan of that idea. I'm pretty lucky though none of the shops here that I use play adverts, it's just music, so I can't really complain.

14. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I guess it just depends on the music if its something that lightens up your mood then I think its fine, but if its something that makes you more annoyed than what you already were before you even stepped into the store then that's a problem. There was time when I was in a store and I forget what music was playing I guess I didn't stick around long enough to find out because I actually did end up leaving and decided to just go somewhere else to shop.

15. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I like grocery store music. When I visit Publix in Marietta, Ga they play 80's music. Sometimes the music is so good and I haven't heard it in so long that I don't want to leave the store. I know that sounds a bit weird but I don't listen to 80's music all that often and it is fun because it takes me back to my childhood. :cool:

16. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's what every store should do!
    If you have to play music at least play some good music, that makes people want to linger in the store.
    Although I don't understand the need for them to play anything other than "elevator music", it avoids the awkward silence but it's neither distracting nor keeps people away.

17. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I went grocery shopping this morning at 7:30 am. I had a busy day and I wanted to get that over and done with. As I was wandering the isles looking for my items, I noticed music playing. I go to Walmart at least once a week but I don't remember ever hearing music there before. I really enjoyed it. There was not a lot of customers in the store and it was quiet, the music was pretty good and at a good level, and it made my shopping trip a little faster and a little more enjoyable.

18. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I think that music in stores needs to either rotate or be highly specific to the nature of the store. Sheetz, for instance, plays a low off rock and power ballads in my area. There is a Fuel Dock convenience store that plays nothing but country music. I am fine with either, but I have never heard anyone complain about Sheetz. I have heard people complain about the constant country music at the gas station, however. The weird thing is that this is a rural area and country is popular in general around here.

19. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I too find the music in stores annoying because I cannot concentrate on what I am going to buy. I would prefer the stores to be quite instead. Sometimes I even hear shoppers singing to the songs. I think these songs are suppose to make people feel happy when they are shopping, but I would rather hear my own thoughts so I can concentrate on what I am going to buy.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not see anything wrong by playing music in stores. I think it is a way to entertain you as do your shopping. I hope it is not loud music that will make want to scream. In most stores that I have visited the music was so soft and not so loud. It is just a mood setter nothing more. I have nothing against it.