Music in stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mistymi • Mar 13, 2014.

1. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I actually don't mind music at all, just because I don't really pay attention to it. To be honest either way you'll have to deal with other noises, like people talking and these kind of quick advertisements through the speakers, so why not?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lmao. Marketers these days are full of tricks. Anything to try to get you to spend your hard earned money. I mean, just look at the effect that music has when it comes to the psychology of movies and TV shows. Take the song away and every time the scene will lose the majority of its emotional meaning. These people can be very manipulative, and playing certain music in certain stores is definitely one of their more obvious tricks.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Right away Christmas music plays everywhere, and many times music (seasonal or not) is annoying because of the tasteless selection of songs, or the unfortunate singing versions.

However a good instrumental music selection playing low in the background isn't annoying to me, and may even like me, same as when I listen to songs that evoke nice past moments, as yesterday's night shopping at Walmart and listening to this song, which has been kinda Christmas hymn at home for decades:

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't realize that my storage company plays bad music all day over the intercom because the music was off the day that I rented the unit. I think the office is especially fond of Drake because they kept playing Hotline Bling over and over one day when I was in my unit organizing my boxes. That was a rough day. Why do companies think that customers want to listen to hours of music that they didn't choose?

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    You have me thinking now as to the stores I shop at and whether they have music playing. I know the music at the Rite Aid I go to is loud and I was just thinking about that when I was there earlier today. I have been to Old Navy and they do play it too loud. Is that to make it seem more like a young hip store? I like loud music in the car but not when I am shopping. Restaurants are another place where they place loud music and that is really annoying since I like to talk to the people that I am eating with.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well most stores and many restaurants play music because they want to create a soothing environment for customers. A pleasant environment will encourage customers to return. However, I guess it can work the other way too if the music is annoying. As an asside, I worked in an amusement park in a special area...and the same obnoxious, loud soundtrack was on for hours!..I am surprised I am not deaf. Park staff didn't seem to be able to turn it down as much as myself and others complained about it.

7. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Music in stores is ok to me, it does really bother me for the most part, and If I don't like the music I'll just put on my ear buds and block the music out, music is everywhere, especially in marketing and retail, but the bad news is that popular music is not always good music.

8. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    What? I love store music! It feels like you're in a runway show, it makes the clothing even more beautiful. I thought everyone loved this, I think it really inspires when I'm looking for clothes. This is actually a very good marketing tool, it makes the costumers feel as if they're living in a music video haha (at least it makes me feel like it.) It depends on the playlist though, some stores don't choose them very well.

9. alvinsalls

alvinsallsNew Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the music. Actually there's music playing all the time at my home. I can't live without it. It just have to be quiet.

10. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have no problem with hearing music playing when I am shopping in a store. Usually the music that is playing is not loud enough to be distracting and it tends to enhance the entire shopping experience. I especially like to hear Christmas music playing around Christmas time since that tends to put me in the Christmas spirit. I have heard music playing mainly in grocery stores though, not so much in other stores. I would think that stores which sell music videos or other stuff pertaining to music would definitely be playing music in the store. That's what they're selling, after all.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Music in stores is usually fine. Most store are smart enough to now customers don't want to be blasted when they are shopping and take that into consideration when they are deciding what kind of music to play for customers. It is just something to think about and to distract you when you are in the store. If you like the music and are in a good mood you may stay in the store longer.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I LOVE music, but when I walk in to a store and the music's blaring out so loudly that it hurts my ears, I immediately head for the door. There was actually a store I really liked, but because it played this horrible, loud acid music all the time, I ended up never ever bothering going into it. I mean, it was enough to give me a headache LOL I absolutely hated it.

13. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    I enjoy music playing in stores as long it is near my tastes and not generic "elevator muzak." Many hip stores like Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters actually play music I love. I use apps on my phone to get the song title when I hear something in a store. It makes a shopping experience more pleasant and if I identify with the songs, I will feel more compelled to identify with the brand in the store as well.

I did work in retail for two years though and our department store would play the same terrible playlist of 80's, country, and adult contemporary. I hated it so much.

14. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I think one thing that might go a little under-appreciated is the consideration of the staff, who I feel a little bad for if the music in the store is repetitive, which it often is. I say this because it was a common complaint among workers when I used to work in a retail-like store a while back, and I am sure it is the same in a lot of places. A little shake up in the music is never a bad thing.

15. Jeanbean

JeanbeanNew Member

Threads:
    I love having music in stores. It's less awkward than a quiet store where a cashier keeps coming around asking if I need any help. No, I'm good.

The only thing I hate is when the music is too loud to hear my thoughts.

All is good in moderation.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy music been played in stores. I believe that in most instances, music usually makes whatever the experience may be a bit more pleasant. Sometimes the music is there and may not be paying directly paying direct attention to it but I am aware that it's there and it's really setting the stage for a pleasant shopping tour.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a marketing tool. Music is meant to keep you there longer and get you in a upbeat mood, to try to get you to spend more money. You might notice that you pick up your step when a song you really like starts to play. If they are looping music that you really love, you're more likely to stick around longer. Thus, you look at more items, and potentially buy more of them. Enjoy the music but know that there is a reason for it.

It won't work on everyone, but it certainly does on some. For me, I'm not going to spend more than I intended to when I went in.

18. iRoxas

iRoxasNew Member

Threads:
    I think the music is pretty relaxing I have nothing against it. Although if it's a song I don't like or a song that I've heard everywhere recently, I would probably get a bit annoyed. When I usually go to McDonalds though, It's usually some song I don't know so that's good.