Music Lessons - Online Or Offline?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jason76 • Mar 9, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of people have claimed to learn the same or more online than from a face-to-face teacher. In that case, do you think it's a better bargain to simply go on YouTube rather just find a local teacher? Of course, the drawbacks to online stuff, though, involve the fact you're just not getting personal attention and immediate feedback usually.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I learn music while I was in my grade school. It is a part of our school curriculum. I develop my skill in playing a musical instrument by self-teaching. I just watch a person who is playing a guitar attentively, later befriend with him and borrowed his guitar. It takes me a hard time until I get hold of a guitar handbook and study it.

Now I am at ease in playing the guitar and I advance myself to playing the piano. I do the same thing. Observe a pianist since I know already how to read the musical notes since I was in my elementary grades.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I learned playing the drums when I was in high school when one of our profs taught me how. I guess at this time, people may learn a lot of things online, not just music but also other things since there are online courses available. Best of all, there are a lot of video tutorials in YouTube that anyone can watch. My cousin plays the guitar since we were kids and his skills improved just by watching guitar tutorials in YouTube. So I guess it depends on the person if they prefer getting a real teacher or just learn things online :)

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I play the guitar and I play drums. I learned with the help of some of my relatives and some friends who are musicians and also with the help of video lessons. So, from experience I can say that no matter what your pace of learning, both ways are great and very useful for learning.

They're complementary methods (which is a good thing) and if there is a lot of dedication and willingness to learn it's easy to see how effective they are.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Self-discipline would always be a problem with online instruction. People with face-to-face teachers are often more likely to try harder. At least it seems that way. Any differing opinion? Note, you see a similar situation with bodybuilding - or anything else for that matter.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think online is not a bad way to teach yourself music -and you kind of learn by doing and best of all its free. I find that YouTube is a way of getting expert advice though -and if you do not like the teacher,you can just move on-so you could look and find a instructor you like. Of course in person,you can always ask the teacher questions-but it will cost more money.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    So do you think that online instruction has hurt the music lesson business? Myself, I don't think it has. I mean, no offense to students, but it seems like they want to be babied thru a lot of stuff. In that case, the online instruction would have some value but they would still be a strong desire for one on one.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think you have to look at the pros and cons of the offline and online music teachings. To learn music online-the student needs to be highly motivated I think and with no live teacher around- its often hard to get any encouragement and that would make it easy for the student to throw in the towel-so to speak. The pros though would be that it is very low cost though. So no -I do not think the online, has hurt the offline teaching of music.