Music/Media Player on your computer

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sulayman • Nov 13, 2013.

1. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I have been one of those users that have been lucky enough to encounter VLC media player and i think that it is the best thing for audio and video. It can handle pretty much anything. I am wondering what other people out there use and if you may suggest anything better than vlc

2. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I personally prefer Zune over VLC for music, because of the library view and playlists. Or FB2K if I need something customizable to mess around with. VLC is great for video playback though.

3. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    i dont really consume music or video as much as i thought i would when i was building my laptop. When i do feel like music i have started pulling up pandora. I do have VLC installed though for when i want to watch a video on my pc.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use foobar2000 for music, because you can customize literally every aspect of it. And for video, VLC is almost the worst thing you can go with. Just use MPC-HC and enjoy a actual, good video player that isn't stuck in 2005. :)

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use VLC but I hate its interface. I miss Winamp. :D I used to customize that player a lot back when there wasn't much stuff to do on a computer yet. Also, the keyboard shortcuts for it were very convenient.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried using Windows Media Player, Real Media Player, and VLC. I haven't tried looking for another media player because VLC can play almost any format.

7. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I like VLC as well. It works for almost all files (if not all) opposed to iTunes that only plays a select few of files. At the end of the day, I would choose VLC over iTunes -- and plus I've never had any problems with it!

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same as Aladar. I use Foobar2000. It's a lightweight audio-player that gets the job done and if you're after customizations then you definitely can't go wrong with it. For watching videos [and I don't do much of that on my PC] I use a different media player because VLC kept crashing anytime I loaded a large file in it.

9. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    I use the built in windows media player on my netbook, it works better than any other media player in my opinion and is easy to use and not cluttered/full of buttons etc. I love it for playing music and watching videos, plus it doesn't lag like VLC

10. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC for video playback mostly. I think that it is pretty seamless and i get really good and amazing results with it. It does not give me any problems and i like how the volume goes up to 200%. That is pretty handy when you have something that is at a low volume.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm an iPod user, I tend to play my music using iTunes, also my internet radio and podcast on iTunes. But for watching movies I use VLC, nothing beats VLC when it comes to that. Its has a wide variety of support for all codecs, hell I think it can play every format in the universe! Also, its very light on the system, doesn't bog down your computer, but for music, I don't really like VLC, it has this weird tendency to cut like a second off of tracks, like for example, I have a 1 second audio file, when VLC plays it, it only does like half a second of the audio file. iTunes for music and VLC for video, and oh, forget Windows Media Player.

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know how you people can use VLC for music. Yuck! I use media player classic for videos, though I also do have VLC installed in case MPC doesn't play it or the volume is too low and I need to boost it with VLC. Then again, both of those happen very rarely.

For music I use AIMP. Used to use winamp but I tried AIMP recently and it's actually a lot better. Definitely in love with it!

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have VLC as a backup media player when Windows Media Player cannot open a file. But VLC kind of drives me nuts with it's non-stop updates. It seems like 90% of the time when I go to launch it, it's popping up some nag screen notifying me I need to download and install the latest version. They need to get that crap under control and bundle their updates into a limited set of scheduled releases. Once every couple months or so, not every two or three days - that is insane.

For the most part, I like Windows Media Player. My main gripe with it, is I wish they would make the progress bar a little thicker so it is easier to grab. In the older versions of it, it was much easier to grab a hold of to jump to a different part of a song or movie. Now I usually have to click in the vicinity of it several times before I can finally grab it.

14. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC and GOM player for videos and AIMP for mp3 and audio songs. I think they are the best media players at the moment. I have been using them for a while now and am not changing them anytime soon. Even from the replies of the post, it shows show people love to use VLC.

15. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you 100% There really isn't any other media player like VLC. They all have Codec support issues, and the rest you have to pay for. Windows media player sucks. I don't know why they put it on your computer if it can't play anything. Every file i try to play with Windows media player i get an error. Real Player has the same issues. Plus they want you to pay for it. No thanks.

16. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    VLC is useful and doesn't use too many resources. Windows media player is good if you install a codec pack, which lets you play everything you need. I used media player classic for a while. VLC is has more power and customization but Windows media player would suit all of my needs too.

17. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    It is a pain to set up but I use Media Player Classic with several add-ons and codecs to play some of my more obscure video files. As for music, Mediamonkey has the best tag editor of all time in my opinion. So many options available, including some functions that don't seem possible in any other player like being able to go to foreign version of Amazon to automatically copy tags to mp3s. Even though it's bulky and slow, I think iTunes these days is the best-looking music player though and I like making automatic playlists with it.

18. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    I see people have already mentioned foobar2000, but another free lightweight player that is almost better in some ways is

. It's not as popular, I don't think, but I find it's actually better than most of the other media players out there for music.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    VLC is pretty much the only video player i use. It does support a wide range of video formats and it doesn't crash often unlike some media players. I don't use it when playing music though. I think VLC is best with videos in my opinion. I use iTunes or Spotify when playing music.

20. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC for playback of most videos, but when I'm listening to music I greatly prefer a playlist/shuffle option with a user-friendly UI, hence I opt for iTunes. Steam has launched a music player as well, at the moment it's nothing special but it's worth keeping an eye on especially if you enjoy listening to music while you game.