Must Have Travel Items

Discussion in Travel started by hopecoss • Feb 9, 2015.

1. hopecoss

hopecossNew Member

Threads:
    I will be traveling around Southeast Asia for about 3 months and was wondering if anyone had any tips on MUST HAVE items. Please don't let my destination sway you from responding. All types of must have items can be used for different people in different situations! Please try to post at least five if possible. Thank you!

2. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    Being a techie, here's what I would recommend:

- A portable powerbank: You may never know when you will run out of juice. Keep this handy and it will give you a sense of security at all times.
    - A torch: People world-over undermine the use of this single commodity. Carry one of those sleek pencil-torches or one of the snazzy super-small ones.
    - Portable Speakers! : Carry the party wherever you go! I always tend to have mine in my bag every time I step out. You may never know when you might want to spin some of your own songs at a good spot. Besides, having your own jukebox always does the trick.
    - A Swiss Knife: These things are a boon to mankind. I have, literally, tonnes of usage of this thing, right from cutting open a package to screwing something shut, a Swiss Knife always stands as a worthy companion.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Passport is a must have regardless if your only visiting a neighboring country, it will save so much time, energy, and a lot of stress from persons who think you're not whom you express to be.

A international credit card with a limit minimum of $1000 in case you lose your wallet and need quick funds to return home.

Mobile phone or tablet that can be used for communication services. If venturing a country where cell phone towers are few and a far from one another, best to acquire a pre-paid phone card to use at local pay phones. Also, bring a international cell phone charger, because countries have all different types of electrical outlets.

A language dictionary book for the main native language used at the place one is visiting, because most people cannot afford translators.

Besides a digital map, laminated tangible maps with marked or well imaged important locations like police station, hospital, foreign affairs office, etc., should be kept in one's pocket in case one's cell phone doesn't work or is broken and no locals can or are not willing to help.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are goint to have an awesome trip, I think the most important thing I can think of would be the power converter. If you are going from the states to another country there maybe a difference in the power the equipment uses.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's imperative to have the following items when you're away on a trip for a number of days:
    • Extra batteries and power banks are very necessary
    • Books (just in case you get caught up in a boring bus and are too afraid to waste batteries)
    • Map (you can't rely on your GPS all the time)
    • Extra food (you might get stranded somewhere)
    • First aid kit for emergency purposes

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have backpacked around Asia, and in general you can pick up things, but in remote places that's when you get stuck. I would advise;

1. Medical kit including Deet for mosquitoes.
    2. 2 x Torches and batteries (headtorch is best).
    3. Plastic bags to keep things dry .
    4. 2 x flip flops as you will need them in showers and also a pair to walk around.
    5. Snacks like crackers that are easy to eat in case there is no where open or you get stranded on a bus/train.

7. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    - Maps
    - Dictionary
    - Swiss knife
    - Batteries and flashlight
    - Extra money kept in a safe place (away from the bags)
    - Rain gear

8. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    - Interesting books - you're likely to spend significant time in transit if you want to visit the really interesting places
    - Universal adaptor, because nowadays electricity is literally rules our lives ;)
    - A good raincoat
    - Mosquito repelling incense
    - A camera with lots of memory because the beauty of the people and the places will astonish you at every turn :)

9. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Must have items for me when I travel abroad are: camera-phone, water, money, medicines and a map. These are my essentials because they are for survival or in case I get lost and also to document the places and trips through pictures. Not that I am paranoid but I always think of a situation in which I would get lost or stranded somewhere in a country I do not know and I am by myself so I think of the worst case scenario and what to bring if it happens.

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Must have during Travel

1. Money
    2. Map
    3. Dictionary
    4. Since your going in SE Asia please bring an umbrella or a raincoat.
    5. If you are planning to visit SE Asia jungle resorts please bring an insect repellant.
    6. Some Medicine

I advise you to hire a tour guide

11. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    I think you should take something that will make your tour more comfortable.

@ Extra Batteries and cadet cards

@ Swiss knife

@ Raincoat and umbrella for emergency

@ Your important papers especially travel and health insurance documents.

12. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Nice suggestions roki123!! I would say credit card, the extra money could help out at tourists. I mostly prefer to pack light for making myself comfortable as well. While I need something love to spend time on shopping then.