My Can Opener Hates Me.

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Pat • Feb 21, 2015.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My can opener hates me. It does not open the can without a struggle, it stops without completing the opening of the can. I have to pry open the can to get the ingredients out of the can.

What can of can opener do you use?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we have an electric can opener, I think its from Hamilton Beach. It can be a bit tempermental at times if we don't get the can on it just right. Maybe that is something that is common with eletric can openers. Have to get the can on them just right or they will act up. This electric can opener sitll works better then the one before it that one was acting exactly like the one you have, and we had eventually replace it because it was really starting to annoy us.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the kitchen modern can opener. It's difficult to describe what it looks like so I'm going to post a picture of it here:
    Kitchen-Modern-Can-Opener.
    I use this type of can opener because it's so easy to use. I've never had a hard time opening cans ever since I started using it. We have two at home just in case something happens to the other one. The other can openers I've used in the past pale in comparison. They never were as hassle-free as the kitchen modern can opener. Even the one provided at the office isn't as effective as the type we use at home. I highly recommend it to everyone looking for a fast and non-injurious can opener.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use them now that most cans have a ring pull on them. However when they snap off I end having to use a can opener and it can be hard work sometimes. The small old fashioned ones too take more energy, but are less likely to break. My dad bought one from the pound shop and it broke, took it back and swapped it and that one broke, so he is sticking with the old small one that still works, but slowly.

5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Having gone through a lot of can openers in my life, both professionally and at home, the most important rule of using these things is to thoroughly wash and dry them after. Don't even let it get to the condition in the picture above. It's still functional maybe, but I can guarantee that there's a hidden buildup of just under the gears that are a hassle to get to. The rust is what will prematurely retire the can opener.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also struggle a bit when I open canned goods, but not that much, and the can gets opened as intended. I'm guessing if you struggle a lot just to open it, then the metal may be blunt already? So try to buy another can opener, for sure it would now glide easily on the can.