My Keurig - Pros and Cons

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Anna T • Apr 14, 2012.

1. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I've been a Keurig user for over a year now. The one I have is the mid-priced model (cannot recall the exact model, but it's not the most expensive nor the cheapest).

The best thing about the Keurig is that the coffee tastes great. My regular coffee pot absolutely does not make a better cup of coffee. Also, it's so easy to use. You don't make as much of a mess because you just pop the K-cup in, flip the top down, and turn it down. You'll have a nice, hot mug of coffee in a minute or less.

Now for the cons. If you're looking to save on coffee and you drink a lot of it, the Keurig is not really a good option. Those little cups are expensive and they only come with about 12 in a box unless you buy the big bulk size. They range in price from about $6 to $11 for a box of K-cups that will only have 10 to 12 K-cups inside. If you're a heavy coffee drinker, you'll go through a box in just a few days.

I tried to save some money and bought bagged coffee and a reusable K-cup. This really didn't work out. The reusable K-cup is messy and I always end up with water everywhere and coffee grounds in my coffee. It may be the reusable K-cup I'm using, but this was my experience.

Any other Keurig users? How do you like yours?

2. kjscrafts

kjscraftsMember

Threads:
    I love my Keurig. I mainly use it to make hot chocolate and mocha K-cups. It is really convenient for me in that I usually only have a cup a day. I also like that I can use the hot water for a quick cup of tea with whatever tea bag I want in my cup. My dad has used our coffee filter K-cup to make coffee and he seems to like it. We have a gray one that seems to not be messy at all and is convenient for him because he also usually only has a cup when he is over. Overall it was a total worthwhile purchase for me, especially since I often find at least the hot chocolate K-cups on a great deal on Amazon. However, I agree that it is not great for those that drink a lot of coffee a day. I think it is very good for those that drink a lot of tea, though.

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I would like a Keurig so I am happy to see nice reviews. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day, tops (sometimes none at all).
    Even when I buy a small pouch of grounds, it takes me a quite awhile to use it up so I like the idea of individual (fresh!) cups.

4. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    One of my favorite things about it that I failed to mention is that it requires so little effort in the morning! I prefer using my Keurig in the morning to preparing a full pot of coffee because in my still half-asleep state, my coordination isn't the greatest. So it's a lot easier for me to just pop a K-cup in the Keurig than it is to try to dump coffee into a filter and also pour water without making a mess.

My coffee pot does have an option to brew the coffee automatically for me in the morning, but I often forget to set it at night.

5. cwilson72180

cwilson72180Banned

Threads:
    I have always wanted one of these but I am a regular coffee drinker so it might not be a good idea for me since it does sound expensive. Thanks for the honest review!

6. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I am a huge tea drinker and have been wondering about getting a Keurig. I don't drink coffee, but would love to have a few k-cups on hand for visitors that might drink coffee. I am a mom on the go, and the ease of brewing one cup at a time with the push of a button seems very convenient. The only thing I worry about is it taking up too much space in our already small counter space.

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have been the proud owner of a Keurig® Platinum Plus Brewing System for over a year now and I have to say its wonderful! I was a heavy coffee drinker until I got pregnant 5 1/2 months ago. True that if you go only by K-Cups it could be expensive but I have the reusable K-cup filter and have no problem at all with it. I used to ger grounds in my coffee and spill water everywhere until I noticed I was overfilling the filter. I wasnt giving the water enough space in the filter to run through the coffee adequately so the pressure would push water out and force coffee grounds out of the filter. Once I started filling them a little lighter it was just fine. I love how easy it is to clean and maintain, the flavor in coffee is absolutely superior to regular brewers. I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

8. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on this. I really like what the Keurig has to offer as we can make a quick cup of hot chocolate, warm tea or coffee every morning. However, we have had it for about a year and a half now and I have noticed it beginning to get a lot slower than it used to be. It takes a while for the water to warm up. I don't like the K-cup refill where you can make your own coffee because I find it to be very messy. Coffee grounds get all over the place and the cup of coffee just doesn't taste that good.

The Keurig system was a good invention, it just needs a little bit of work to make it perfect.

9. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I agree, dashboard! It is *almost* perfect. I would like mine tons more if the reusable cup I have for it actually worked well. I just cannot afford to spend $6 to $9 at a time for 10 to 12 cups of coffee. The bagged coffee is much more budget-friendly.

10. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I have enjoyed my Keurig for a little over a year. I like using the K-cups because it is easier to make coffee when I am bleary-eyed in the morning with them, but they really are too expensive to use for several cups of coffee every day. I use the "My K-cup" that came with my Platinum Plus system (which came from Costco) and bagged coffee most of the time. I fill it about 2/3 full, and I haven't had any trouble with the grounds spilling into my coffee. Cleanup is a hassle, though. After dumping the grounds out of the filter cup, I usually rinse the cup over a paper towel to catch the rest of the grounds so they don't go down the drain. This is not something I enjoy doing, especially when I am half awake. Do any of you who use the reusable filter cups have a trick for cleaning them out more easily?

11. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    Not really. I just basically scald mine out with hot water after dumping what I can in the garbage. That seems to work for me, but I may try your method too. Sounds like I might get mine a bit cleaner if I did it your way.

12. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I was planning on getting these for my dad. Thanks for the nice review. They have this new model though, Vue, and I haven't heard a lot about it. Is it necessarily better than the K-cup? I'm not sure if he wants to experiment with different brews but I have seen the occasional unknown brand coffee packet on the counter every now and then. Essentially, Vue or K-cup?

13. cashorcheck

cashorcheckNew Member

Threads:
    I read that the Kuerig equivalent to a pound of coffee is something about triple. I realy yhaven't found anything good about the system except convenience. I can make the best coffee in just a couple minutes from inexpensive whole beans, a good grinder, teapot and french press. The investment in three pieces of equipment pays off in a week of the Kuerig rip-off system. Once you have a Kuerig, they have you with the darn cups, and they will only get more expensive.

14. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    We love our Keurig Coffee Maker. We actually have two of them. We have the Keurig Elite at both our year round home and our summer home. I'm not a coffee drinker but I do use it everyday to make a cup of hot chocolate. My husband uses it everyday to make either coffee or tea. You're right, the k-cups aren't very cheap. We watch for sales. We get a lot of Kohl's coupons in the mail that gives us a savings anything from 15 to 30 percent off. We try to take advantage of those discounts. Every little bit helps. We do save a little money since we aren't wasting as much coffee with a Keurig like we were in the old coffee maker.

15. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    While the system definitly seems very fast and convenient, I have a few reservations. The little cups seem really expensive as opposed to just buying a tin of coffee grounds. Also, I have two friends that their Keruig machine actually caught fire. One lost her whole kitchen since she and her husband went outside while it was brewing and then came in to an inferno. Due to that, I'm a little leery of them myself, but I know many people who really enjoy them as well.

16. sunshinesaver

sunshinesaverMember

Threads:
    I got my Keurig about two months ago. I love it, but like others have said, it is a little expensive for the K cups. I am more of a tea drinker, so I was happy to see so many varieties of tea. When my mom got one a year ago it was harder to buy the K cups. Now most of my local stores have big displays, so it is really easy to get a hold of the cups. I am disappointed that I can't find a hot chocolate or sweet tea that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in them. The best feature for me is not having to clean up messy coffee grounds.

17. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    I love my Keurig. I go up and down with my coffee drinking, sometimes a lot and then I'll slack off at other times..depending on how tired I am. LOL When I'm drinking 2 or more cups per day, it gets pricey. I love the fresh coffee that it brews though. I have a problem with grounds when I use my reusable K-cup also, and that sort of ruins the cup for me. It also doesn't taste as good, but it works. I haven't found a box of K-cups for $6!??! Where are those? I will have to hunt those down. I do have a very big con with them though... I'm actually on my 2nd brewer. The first one stopped brewing, even after I de-scaled and everything as you are supposed to. It just quit brewing, and of course it was like 1 week after the 1 year warranty!! I was miffed, but still bought another. If this one pukes too, I won't buy another and I'll return to my tried and true Bunn.

18. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I wanted a Keurig, but since I already have a coffee pot this product would probably be useless. I could always make hot chocolate, tea, etc by boiling water in the microwave. I drink a lot of coffee, so this product would probably just take up space. But my gadget loving self would love to have this around to make an extra cup of fresh coffee later in the day/afternoon, especially in the colder weather months. Those pods seem expensive too!

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I received a mid range model as a gift. What? I am not a coffee drinker so I said thank you but I really like mine. First, it is a good looking machine and now I can serve a single cup to my friends without throwing away a pot. I never get complaints as I did when I had a Mr. Coffee, probably because I don't drink coffee and didn't make it good. What a bonus though since it makes tea. I would never trade it and it seems funny since at first I thought to myself, why give me this. It was a pleasant surprise how much I love it now.

20. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I have not had a good experience with keurig. Not good at all. I am actually on my third keurig coffee maker. The first two broke and it wasn't my fault. They are made very shoddily. I am the only one who used the keurig coffee makers so I know that someone else didn't misuse it and break it. I've only stuck with the brand because the store that I bought it at was willing to exchange the broken ones for a new one each time. I've had the third keurig for about 4 months now and haven't had a problem. I can't recommend the brand.