My love and hate for Walmart

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by savergrl • Aug 10, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I love Walmart, I really do. What's not to like about affordable priced products everyday? My caveats come from the fact that although Walmart has a great coupon, price match and return policy their staff is rarely aware of the policies!

You can find Walmarts ad match policy

. Although it says here you do NOT have to have the ad, every location I have ever been to requires you bring your own copy of the original ad.

The coupon policy

. They claim there is no limit to the number of coupons you can use in a transaction but time and time again I have been told, One per purchase. That means one coupon per item, not one coupon per transaction.

I wish Walmart would spend more time training it's employees so when someone goes to use a coupon the whole line doesn't have to halt just to the cashier can read every line of fine print and argue over what it means.

2. ronnie41647

ronnie41647New Member

Threads:
    I agree! The employees never know the policies. I think this is probably due to a high turn over rate. If they put a little more into keeping employees I think it would be a much better place to shop. I know every one has to start somewhere. This said it is frustrating when you always get the new slow person:(.

I personally like how, even on the first of the month when they know they are going to be swamped, they only have three lanes open! Seriously?!?! They have thirteen-fifteen and I have never seen more than three-four open. Well except for black firday.

3. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I've never experienced them declining a price match, but I did experience some coupon issues. I think it was around the time that extreme couponing became wildly popular. So many people were going to Walmart with their coupons and it really must've been becoming a hassle. I suppose those printed coupons don't really scan as easily as the ones from the ads. But if you are having these issues I think you should inform the store manager.

4. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Funny that you posted this today. My husband and I just came back from a mega grocery shopping trip to Walmart today. Little tip here...don't go to Walmart starving, especially when you've been waiting for pay day to shop and living off the dry staples in your cupboard for the past week. We were like two kids in the candy store whose mommy gave them permission to get whatever they wanted. The grand total? $321!!! That's what I normally spend at Ralph's in 2 1/2 shopping trips. :( So, yes, they do have good prices on some things, but we noticed they were higher in other things that I know Ralph's sells for less. Plus, we couldn't find a lot of our normal grocery list items. So it's back to Ralphs next time, but hopefully we can make what we bought stretch at least 2 weeks.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Walmart has the coupon policy posted over the registers, so if a cashier objects to one of my coupons, I just point to the sign. The cashiers are reasonably nice at my local Walmart so I haven't had many problems and I'm kind of a Walmart fan. I follow them on Facebook and Twitter.

6. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I have shopped at Walmart's in the past, but have not yet had a problem with exchanges, customer service or policies. That more than likely is because the things I buy, I have not had to exchange, return or anything like that. Knock on wood.

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I have ever had much of any issue with anything at Wal-Mart. Exchanges a always easy and, the few times I have used a lot of coupons, it has never been a problem. I think you're always going to run into employees who don't know the rules. Just call a manager over if there is any doubt. Or, better yet, carry a printed-out copy of whatever policy you are going to be using.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    What you said of Walmart might apply to other stores. The employees are rarely mindful of the policies. On the other hand I wonder whether there are offices to report such anomalies? If there are then you need to report your issues so as to reduce inefficiencies in the stores.

9. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    I'm a newbie here and I was actually just about to post this LOL. Yeah I find it absolutely ridiculous when I have to tell Walmart that i they scanned something incorrectly I get $10 off every single time that they do it. They fight with me for maybe like five minutes trying not to give me the discount telling me it doesn't exist until I finally demand speak to a manager who politely tells their employee that it in fact does. It drives me bonkers!

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well this particular issue changes depending on location - at the North Side (rich/white side) Walmart there is never any issue whatsoever. However, at the South Side (poor/black side) Walmart there are always problems with this.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    That really annoys me when people are using hundreds of coupons, and they hold up the line. It would be nice if they open up other lanes for people with a small number of items. I haven't tried the Walmart price match before, but I've heard that it works. I want to go to another Walmart that's not in my area because they have bad attitudes at the one by my house.

12. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, at least the Walmart employees where you live are a little more considerate! I don't use coupons anymore because the last time I tried at the local Walmart the cashier flat out refused to accept them. I argued with him for about five minutes over it but there was a huge line behind me and I didn't want to cause them any trouble so I just gave up, paid for my things and left. I haven't used coupons at Walmart since. I love Walmart as a store, but sometimes the employees really tick me off.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Our Walmart usually has employees who will make you look like the fool even when their prices are marked incorrectly. I got quite mad at one of the managers (tho I controlled myself and just walked out angered) because an item scanned almost $4 more then the price said on the shelf. She went out of her way to take her time to check the price (knowing there was a line behind me) and when she came back she looked at the line behind me and told the cashier to ring it up at the price I said it was. When the cashier asked if it scanned wrong, she said in a nasty tone and again looking at the people behind me "No it was not wrong, but just give it to her anyway." I matched the price to the price on the shelf and I matched the SKU numbers because our Walmart never has the items by the correct price tag. I was a bit annoyed that she couldn't just admit that it rang up wrong and made me look like the trouble maker. Our Walmart (well the old one before they moved down the street and became a Super Walmart) used to have the wrong prices all the time and I began to scan things at the self scan because if I had more then 5 items, guaranteed at least 3 items would ring up a higher price then the shelf. They actually got in trouble with the courts for it (no I didn't get into any lawsuit over it and nope it didn't stop them from doing it either.)

That being said, I don't shop there enough to actually use coupons often lol! On the occasion that I used a coupon, there was no problem. As for the price guarantee, I wouldn't waste my time at our Walmart because they can't even back up the prices listed on the shelf let alone another store!

14. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I occassionally shop at Walmart and most times the cashier refuses to take my coupons. I always use coupons when grocery shopping and I noticed that some items at Walmart are a little pricey compared to other discount stores. I have found other stores/supermarket to do most of my grocery shopping now.

15. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Really? That's weird, I've been shoppong at the local walmart for years and never once have I been charged more than the shelf price, I've never even scanned wrong. Maybe the management or maintainence where you are is just really bad? The manager you described does sound like a real **curse word used to deacribe an unreasonable character**. But I don't think the scanning thing is true for all the stores, certainly not this one.

16. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Our local Walmart so far has been really good and I have had no problems. I sure hope that it stays that way now after reading what is happening to you guys at other Walmart stores. I do tend to go early in the mornings because it is less crowded. I wonder if that has something to do with it...

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You know they have the Savings Catcher program, right? The one where you go to their

, enter the receipt's TC#, and they search local ads for savings you could've found?

There's also 'an app for that,' where you can scan items and/or enter your TC# in-store and ... I don't know, 'pre-load your savings?' But (reserving my place in the 'old fogy'-lineup) I neither have nor want 'the iPod' or 'iPad' or whatever that would make me a "plugged-in person."

#17Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a Walmart fan in general. I would much rather go to Super Target. I mean sometimes Walmart has prices that are better than other places...but I don't find that is always the case. I don't have a Walmart near me so I don't go there all that often. I especially don't like the Walmart that is close to me...it doesn't seem to be very well stocked.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my biggest problems with places like Wal-Mart, and especially so with warehouse clubs like Sam's Club and Costco, is that it's a nightmare if you want to just run in there and grab and item or two, get in and get out - because you can't. The lanes are almost always backed up with people that have buggies filled to the brim, that you must wait behind forever to check out.

To make matters worse, they always seem to put the slowest cashiers in the "express" lanes who never enforce the item limit policy and take FOREVER to ring people up. The whole purpose of an EXPRESS lane is to keep it moving, yet they seem to find every way imaginable to take their good old time, putz around, chit chat and be as slow as humanly possible in them.

I'm not there to be some captive audience to the weirdos in front of me, who almost always seem to be putting on a big "show" as if the rest of us are just totally enthralled with them and their lives.

20. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like just about every store is like that. Even managers sometimes have no idea what their own store policy is. I worked at a Walmart a few years ago and I received absolutely no training. On the first day, as soon as I got there, I was put on a register and I learned as I went. I had to ask for help for literally every transaction because nobody trained me on how to take food stamps or do WIC or take a check, much less the coupon policy. I hate it when I overhear people making rude comments about cashiers who have no idea what they are doing. It's really not their fault. Yes, Walmart and other stores should definitely focus more on training.