My Poor Petunia's

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • May 25, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am really mad that we have had so much rain and so many clouds because I bought a beautiful hanging basket of petunia's and hung them in a sunny spot because it said full sun.. Well anyway, I was looking at them last night and almost all the blooms are gone! That is really disgusting, because I was hoping they would last all summer. Does anyway, have any suggestions about this? As you know hanging baskets of flowers are not cheap.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Admittedly not exactly easy to say for sure what the problem is - without a photo.

However going on the information given - bearing in mind that petunias generally require a minimum of 6 hours sunlight in order to flower and they don't like moisture sitting on their foliage or newly formed buds either and the most common reason for petunias not to bloom - is lack of sunlight - closely followed by bud rot - due to excess moisture sitting on newly formed buds.

I'm thinking that the weather you've been experiencing is most probably the cause of the problem - which if it is - providing the foliage still looks healthy - meaning it isn't overly yellow or turning brown - all is not lost - as once your weather improves it shouldn't be long before you see them returning to their former glory and flowering profusely.

That said - as there are a number of other reasons why petunias may not bloom - if they don't - let us know and we'll do our best to help solve the problem.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The blooms maybe dying so that new ones can start. Most plants have new blooms all during the growing season. If the old blooms are all closed and dead just cut them off, it is called deadheading, that will allow the new blooms to form.