Nail Polish Basecoats And Topcoats?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by vivivivicky • Feb 6, 2015.

1. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    What nail polish base coats and top coats do you all use for at-home manicures? I've been using Essie's Good to Go top coat and using whatever nourishing base coat or protein treatment that I happen to have around. That being said, I can never get my manicures to last more than one day (maybe two if I am lucky!) without chips or peeling! So what do you all use?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a huge fan of base coats. Why because I have found with my nails that using a base coat tends to make my nail polish chip. Years ago I had my nail professionally manicured and manicurist had to stop using a base coat on them because of this reason. She told me that I wasn't the first person who complained about this that she had other customers that it happened to as well. As for the base coat and top coat that she used she seem to like the brand from Sally Hansen. As for now to be honest I really don't polish my nails or even keep them manicured I just kind of lost track of doing this over the years.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of base coats either. The nail polish lasts better on a slightly rough nail - it will just peel off a surface that is completely smooth. Instead, I use a cheap ridge filler from Collection which dries to a rough finish. I do use a top coat and usually use OPI's "Nail Envy".

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like base coats! At least the one I use makes my polish easier to remove from my nails... and that would be good if it only came out when I want it to come out, but it comes out easier earlier! So it makes it last less than without putting it on... makes no sense to me to use it. I do, however, always use top coat!

5. Laura Greenbrier

Laura GreenbrierNew Member

Threads:
    I also skip base coats, for the reason missbishi mentioned: polish seems to adhere better to a natural or slightly rough nail. I am a huge fan of Zoya brand nail lacquer. They are ecologically friendly: free of toluene, formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, and camphor (I have some sitting here on my desk, and hence can spell those impossible words!) The colors are nuanced and rich. I love their range of greens. The polish applies smoothly and lasts a long time. I buy it online and shop around as the price does vary. I like changing the color fairly often, so I skip the top coat just to make it easier to remove. I recommend this brand!

6. Lithera

LitheraNew Member

Threads:
    I bought some bottom and top coat nail polish the other day, and it was great because you could use it alone or with a color, but I found that as I painted on the clear topcoat (to be clear this is the same stuff as the base coat, then the color, then top coat) and the color started coming off with it! It was really weird because I was SURE that the color was completely dry ahead of time! Anybody have any ideas what the problem was here?

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use either these days, but a top coat occasionally and only once all the coats are dry and that can take an hour. Basecoats are good for those with uneven nails, but I never use them, unless I am wearing red to avoid the stains. It depend son the color and nail polish, I find sparkly ones aren't good to put a top coat on and french manicure a glossy topcoat can work, but depends on how long your nails are.