Naming Pets

Discussion in Pets started by tulosai • Jan 8, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    How do you decide what to name your pets? What are your current pets called? What would you call your next pet if you got another one? What is your favorite pet name you've ever heard?

I currently have two cats named Darcy and Bingley after the characters in Pride and Prejudice :)

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    All of my pets came from rescue organizations so I've just kept the name they had when they got to the rescue or that the rescue gave to them. I have a dog named Hunter, but he's not a very good hunter, unless he's hunting for table scraps (he's the best at that!). Sometimes I joke that I should change his name to Hoover because he's great at cleaning any food that drops to the floor. I also have a tuxedo cat named Felix. I always just figured that I wouldn't want someone to change my name after I was given one, so I wouldn't do that to my pet either!

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think you just go with what feels right, much like naming a child. I love(d) all my pets like children (even though I have no kids of my own. I have a cat the I named The Empress because I have to do what shes anyway. Plus, she's one needy cat.

4. CYSumner

CYSumnerNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with LitoLawless, whatever feels right. My last dog was named Bandit because it just seemed like she needed to be named Bandit. She was a little light brown and white hound. I have a rabbit right now, her name is Smoky because she is a very dark gray. We got a different dog for the four year old, a little chihuahua and she named him Shrimpy because he was small and she loves Spongebob. She named her fish Doggy, and then changed it to Dorothy after Elmo's fish. It really, really just depends. My favorite pet name I've ever heard? My aunt named her new puppy Moonshine because she fell off a porch backwards.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I name my pets cute names, something that would distinguish them from humans. By that I don't mean to degrade them that they are not humans, but I want to just happen is that call them where I am comfortable, something that's really cute humans would shy away to be called on. It's something cute, mind you. And something that's really from the heart.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually Just look at the pet and see what fits their personality. I rarely go for overly elaborate names as I prefer to just stick to simpler ones, but I do try and put an original spin on it as much as possible. Also I like the name to be as humorous as possible without coming off too cheesy or corny, just because I find it amusing whenever someone calls out the name.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have dogs as my pets and I usually get them when they are young. Normally I use the color of their hair to name them. If a dog's covered in white fur/hair then "Snowy" might be the right name. If it's brown . . .

The exception to that is when I named a puppy "Ben" because one of my nephews thought Ben was a cool name. Got the impression from the Ben 10 cartoon I suppose.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. Anything would and could cause me to name my pets anything. It could be anything from the pattern and or colors of the pet, to the things that I am interested in at the time, such as cartoons, or TV shows, or my favorite characters. It is very rare that I will name the pets that I have normal human names, because why when you call them anything else and get away with it? Lol!!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My birds are named Gustav and Gretta. I just liked those names and thought they sounded cute.

Used to have a cat we called Meowmeows, she was such a talker that's how she got her name, and we weren't very creative. Everyone thought it was a cute name though, since she would sit at the door and meow whenever she wanted attention of any kind.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really choose a name for my pets, they tell me themselves what they like to be called. :) For example, my pet parrot, a rescue case from the animal shelter, came flying up to my shoulder and told me over and over "Doydee, Doydee,...", so that became his name. My pet duck always made interesting "pumping" noises, so guess what he was called? ;)

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why do you have a name for my dog was actually pretty hard. I looked online for male dog names, for weeks!! I couldn't find a name
    I liked. The way I came to decision about my dogs name was that he is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel dog, and the breed's name screams royalty to me... So to keep it royal I decided to name him Duke!
    I wanted to name a female pet Cleo, just because I think it's such a cute name for a girl!

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Embarrassing as this may sound, but we don't extensively mull over what names to call our pets with. The naming process, for me and the rest of my family, is kind of spontaneous. Whatever comes to mind or we feel like calling the pets, we just use it. I'm personally fond of adding "oy" to the name of every pet we've owned thus far. For example, last year our cat gave birth to a female kitten that my mom called "Twinkle." Since I didn't find the name cute, I added "oy" to it until the name ended up as "Twinkoy." Now everyone calls this cat Twinkoy.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually have seven pets, two dogs and five cats. Needless to say the dogs are penned in the backyard and the cats are in the front yard. Anyway, the two dogs one is name Oso, because well we use to have this hamster name Oso who always got into mischief. So, when this dog was a puppy and he got into mischief we decided to name him Oso as well. The other dog is named Buddy but actually Buddy the second after another dog we had before.

As for the cats one use to be feral she would come into our yard with a feral community for food when she was a kitten and we over time became attach to her. She is grey in color with some parts darker then others, in some ways the look of the pepper seasoning so we called her Pepper. Pepper while feral got pregnant twice and we now have four of kittens as well. One is named Squiggy got her name because she reminded us of a friends cat by the same name. Then there is her sister Peppy, who looks so much like Pepper that we called her Pepper the second, Peppy for short. Then there are their two brothers, Petey another grey cat like Pepper and a black cat that we called Salem after the cat on the Sabrina TV series. So, those are the name of my seven pets and how they got them.

14. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    While I don't have any pets of my own, I do cat sit, so I have experience different types of pet names. The guy whose cats, I currently sit for, is particularly uncreative. He decided to get his cat Meow a companion. The cat's original name was General Mischief or something cool like that, I really don't remember. But he wanted something that went well with Meow. So he named him Kitty. Some time later Meow passed away and he wanted to get Kitty a new friend. His new cat's name is Billy, which seemed cool that he had to use some kind of imagination, but it turned that the name is Hindu for cat, so imagination not needed here.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the decision for naming the pet depends on their personality and appearance, whether it will suit them or not. I just choose the name that I think will look "cute" on them.