Nasal decongestant

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the last couple of days my kid has his nose totally blocked and there aren't many natural products available to unblock his nose. I don't like the others because they make bleed often, so can you advise some natural nasal decongestant?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm... Since nasal sprays are out of the question, you should just try steaming. Here's an article on how to do this. I hope this helps.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The one thing I know that works anytime is spicy food. One time I had issues with congestion and ate a meal that had a lot of cayenne pepper in it, next thing I remember was my nose was running and had to stop eating. Doing some research, I learned that pepper thins out mucus so the result is: it runs out freely.

The downside though is, the relief you get is ephemeral.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend steaming as well, just place a container of very hot water in front of him, then have him put his head over it with a towel over his head, covering the container's width, so that the steam doesn't simply escape.
    Then have him stay there for a while and gradually try breathing in, it should really help with nasal congestion.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I used to do steaming when I was a kid and I hate it, long hours seating with the steam, I don't even know if that works or not... I discovered a sea water spray that seems to help, but I am really investigating the causes for the congestion instead of attacking the symptoms.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever tried a neti pot? Basically its a small pot that you fill with salt water and use it to flush the sinus. You don't have to use a neti pot of course but it's the easiest way of doing the flush. Also the adrenaline from running etc can help decongest your sinus, so that may be something to consider also.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've heard about that neti pot, but never got to use it, I don't even know where to buy it, do you have an idea? Yes, I feel that exercise can help as a decongestant, but I've had a my nose blocked ever since I am a kid, my kid is not so bad, but he's going the same way.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You might want to steam your face and your nose. This is what my mom used to do to me whenever it happens that my nose would get extremely clogged. And after I have steamed my face, my nose would get unclogged that I would already feel relaxed. We would keep on doing it, until my cough and my cold has finally gone.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    There are quite a lot of methods that make sure to reduce decongestant of nose. One of the best ones is steaming as it helps to clear the nose very quickly. I also use other remedies like drinking honey with turmeric and pepper powder to reduce the cold in my lungs.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I know all those methods akiii, but my issue is that despite I've try them all my nose is still blocked, so I have to say that those methods don't work... at least on me. I feel that a proper diet might be the better nasal decongestant.