Natural And Cheap Toilet Cleaner?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by TheKnight • Dec 3, 2016.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Are there any better alternatives to clean the toilet other than using bleach? I prefer a natural alternative that doesn't have too much of an odor. I've tried vinegar but I can't stand the odor because it gives me a major headache if I inhale it for too long.

So what's the cheapest and best working alternative you've used or know of?

I've heard that using mineral water can get rid of some stains. Have any of you tried it?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried mineral water but sounds like a good idea. I do use vinegar though and does the job very well. As for the bad odor I was recommended to use lemon juice. You can add about 5 table spoons to a quart of vinegar and that should diminish the smell.

3. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    There are huge amounts of "green" restroom cleaners available, however more often than not it's less expensive and similarly as powerful to make your own. Outfitted with a couple of basic non-poisonous and biodegradable fixings, you can keep your lavatory crisp and shining.

Make scouring your washroom less demanding with the assistance of a hand crafted can bowl cleaner that truly works. What's more, this chest chemical leaves your powder room pleasant and new and costs pretty much nothing to make. Vinegar and preparing pop combine to make genuine percolating activity, which does all the grimy work for you. Sans unforgiving chemicals, this eco-accommodating, characteristic can bowl cleaner will keep your lavatory shining.

4. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I just use dish washing soap (like Dawn) and then just scrub the heck out of the toilet and flush it a few times.

I need to be careful because one of my cats likes to drink out of that toilet, in fact, it's the ONLY WAY he will drink water. So you can bet I keep it very clean. But I've stopped using bleach because of that reason alone. Even though I flush it numerous times after cleaning with bleach, I feel as if the water would still be toxic for him. Dawn dish washing soap (for hand-washing dishes) is the safest way to go in my opinion. Plus, I think it does a really good job cleaning a toilet, since it is known for breaking up grease on dishes and pans....it probably breaks up anything else stuck inside the toilet bowl as well. Then I flush it a few times so it doesn't have any kind of soapy residue. And it certainly isn't expensive. :)

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have always heard that vinegar is a good choice, especially for removing the stains that come from the water level. I have not tried it though, but I am sure I will have to try sometime.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the bowl, we use table vinegar and then rinse it with salted water. We also use salted water for the sink and other parts of the toilet. The trick is to let the salted water stay for 2 to 5 minutes before rinsing it with clean water. Failure to rinse may cause the build up of rust in metal parts in the toilet. Water with salt is a good cleanser.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been working as a property custodian to one of the Church or religion denominations for 10 years. We have been given supplies for all the toiletries needed by the Church and one of those is toilet bowl cleaner. While the supply for the said cleaning hasn't arrived, I tried vinegar and local bleach. At least they have worked but not as efficient as the recommended brand which I use for the said duration of my work.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    While few of the mentioned home renedies could be a great choice I find them pretty costly for daily use.

I rather buy Harpic a thick solution which lasts me months and does amazing job. That's what I use and it is really cost effective.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a farm and I have cattle. Cattle waste is a good toilet cleaner. It works as similar to any toilet cleaner. By using cattle waste as toilet cleaner, I save money on toilet cleaner. Acid is another cheap solution for toilet cleaner. Acid costs less than toilet cleaner. Phenol is another cheap alternative.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We mostly use muriatic acid which is even stronger and more effective than bleach. It is also a lot cheaper than commercial toilet cleaners. After brushing, we just flush it off. A more natural way is sprinkling baking soda on the bowl then adding vinegar before brushing.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    For toilet cleaners I would choose to use vinegar, it's the most common and widely used cleaning agent for toilets and seems to be more effective. I think they are among best stain removals. Also, use of mineral water can be temporary choice not sure about its effectiveness.

12. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We buy toilet cleaners like Harpic, Lizol etc which clean as well as remove pungent smell explicitly.. Given the area of a restroom, other options do not look as effective. However, I do use air freshener and acid as well. When there're stubborn marks due to deposition of corrosive water, acid works good to remove the stains effectively.

13. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried baking soda? It doesn't have a strong odor and it also adds a mild abrasive for scrubbing. You can make a paste with it my adding a bit of soap if you like, or just adding water. If you wish to create a pleasant scent, you can also add a few drops of essential oil.

Baking soda is super cheap and goes a long way. It's something you may already have on hand too, but if you like the way it cleans, you will be buying a lot more of it. Find out which store has it cheap or buy a bunch when it goes on sale.

It's also good for cleaning the sink, the tub, and more.