Natural Insect Repellent

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by cocolgooh • Jun 5, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    What do you use for naturally repelling insects?

I use citronella as one way to get rid of insects most often, and have used citronella candles in the past if I'm sat outside at night to try and avoid being bitten by anything.

That being said though, I prefer using natural oils or fragrances to get rid of bugs where possible. I know that peppermint or spearmint are ones that many different insects don't like. Lavender can be useful for getting rid of fleas, as I discovered when trying to get rid of them on my dogs a while back.

Do you use any other oils or fragrances to keep bugs away from you?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say Citronella works best for me. I love the smell of it and use the candles and the wrist bands, mainly to repel mosquitoes. The mosquitoes here can be be HUGE and aggressive, but citronella sorts them out. So I really don't want change to anything else. Although you mentioning natural oils and fragrances is almost tempting me. Thanks for sharing. I may very well try them, but in combination with my Citronella :)

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from Lavender and Citronella, other dried herbs like lemongrass, peppermint, witch hazel, rosemary, cinnamon and eucalyptus are considered effective natural insect repellents. Their natural aroma can ward off various kinds of pests without any untoward consequences on your lungs. Distilled or boiled water are good for keeping off bugs too.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    It has been used since the 1940s, but the lemon eucalyptus oil remain as one of the more well-known natural repellents.With just a mixture of 32 percent lemon eucalyptus oil, you can obtain more than 95 percent protection against mosquitoes for at least three hours. Anyone can create his/her own mixture with one part lemon eucalyptus oil to 10 parts sunflower oil or witch hazel.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once bought a floating candle with the flavor of citronella. The vendor said that the vapor of the candle exudes the scent which drives away insects particularly mosquitoes and flies. However, before I could fully test it, I noticed that the dogs didn't like the scent. Or maybe that citronella scent is against not only to insects but to animals as well?

There is a neem tree planted in the yard of our neighbor. She said that it is a natural insect repellent. However, there are still mosquitoes and flies here so I don't think the rumor is true. I still have to find a natural insect repellent.