Natural Sweetener

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • Nov 19, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is a natural sweetener called stevia which is excellent for diabetics. Its a herb that grows in the tropics with the power to sweeten a drink more than 20 times as sugar due to principles called steviosides. It has a very low calorific value and value for money compared to sugar. One can grow the herb for sweetening purposes.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend doctor who owns a stevia plantation. It's just sad that I was not able to go when he invited us for a gathering in the farm. He has this business of processing and marketing the stevia that is harvested in his farm. That made him very rich now. He said that unlike synthetic sugars that can cause cancer, stevia is natural like a herb. It is the gift of nature to diabetics so they can have a taste of sweetness that is not damaging to their body. However, stevia is expensive as it comes in small packets.

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my own Stevia bed on our garden before but they all have died because no one tends to them anymore. Taking care of stevia plans is actually hard because you want to make sure that it's getting enough water and you have to make sure they they don't get exposed much under the sun or they will all die. I love taking stevia with tea or just eat the leaves as is.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I have heard of such herb. This is a much healthier way to sweeten and can prevent illness. I will have to recommend this a friend who is diabetic so he can have a better taste in his drinks ,he gets frustrated sometimes. I will have to search for this miracle.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know this. I've been trying to cut back on sugar because my health isn't too great. Some of my family members fear that I'll become diabetic. I also have high blood pressure too so if there's also a natural replacement for salt, that would be great. I've been told that too much salt in my diet has caused it.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I knew of aspartame and it's ill effect however Stevia is something I must do a research on.

Is it commonly available in India? It is processed into cubes or powder form? As these can be used to make sweets as in cakes, pastries and sweet meats.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It could be a coincidence but couple weeks back when I went to my native, I was amazed by the sweetness of the the Stevia leaves tasted in one of my relative's home. The leaves are strikingly sweet with a typical smell. However, I can plant this herb to increase the worth of my kitchen garden, but cannot use as a substitute of sweetener as the leaves have a pungent smell along with the sweetness.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about stevia plant. The plant is called sugar plant locally. I even tried to grow this plant in my garden but I have failed many times I was not aware that this stevia plant is safe for diabetes. I have never tasted this plant and I don't know how sweet is this stevia.