Natural teeth whitening

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Aug 6, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you know that teeth whitening is the most requested cosmetic dental procedure? I read that Americans alone spend over 1,4 billion dollars annually for over the counter whitening products. These products don't just cost a lot, but they might also come with side effects, such as gum irritation and tooth sensitivity.
    There are several natural ways that will help you whiten your teeth without the nasty side effects. You can brush your teeth with baking soda and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, rub mashed strawberries or the inside of banana peels over your teeth, or try some coconut oil.
    Have you ever tried out any of these methods?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people that brush their teeth with a baking soda mixture to whiten their teeth. I'm, personally, not too worried about the color of my teeth, as long as they're not bright yellow. I take decent care of my teeth, so I'm okay with some slight discoloration, as long as it's not widespread. I won't use teeth whitening products besides normal toothpastes and mouthwashes. However, I do know people that have white teeth without using any extra procedures or products other than floss and toothpaste.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The only tooth whitening product I use is one made by Arm&Hammer. It costs around $5 and doesn't require a tray or other gadget, just brush and go. Np pain and I see natural-looking results immediately. Sometimes those whitening treatments look phony.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My teeths are very yellow. I am not sure what exactly is the reason, as I have come across many reasons that lead to yellowing of teeth and do not know which one actually suits me. I think it is the becuse I brush my teeth only once in a while.
    I have never gone to the dentist to get my teeth whitened, except when I had to put braces and cleaning the teeth is a compulsory process. I always feel that when the whitening process is done, quite a lot of the top layer of your teeth is removed. I have never tried any of the natural methods as I do not know the side effects of using them.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that baking soda can be used for whitening teeth but have never tried using it because the color of my teeth as per my standards, is good enough. Not sparkling white but not too discolored either. The easiest way I've heard of keeping your teeth white is by brushing your teeth after you eat or drink anything.

Lemon and orange peels can also be used to whiten your teeth. Using them for too long would cause tooth erosion [since they contain some acid in them] so don't overuse them.

#5Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I brush with a generous amount of baking soda from time to time and it is very effective at getting my teeth super clean and white. I also usually floss while the baking soda is still in my mouth to get extra clean between my teeth and help disinfect my gums. Baking soda is a form of sodium, so it helps fight infection. However, if you have oral thrush, you should not use baking soda often as it can make thrush worse.

7. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I just generally use a whitening toothpaste by crest that I love. I didn't know about the strawberries and banana peels. Thanks for the tip. I'd hate to spend an arm and a leg if it is cheaper at home.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I have been using baking soda to brush our teeth for quite some time now. We use it for night brushing only. What we do is first, brush with baking soda, then followed by flouride toothpaste. During the day we only use toothpaste alone. My husband is a smoker and he swears by the power of baking soda in keeping his teeth white.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing that my husband and I use is Colgate the one in the red tube. We use the mouthwash also. I have tried the whitening strips and they work wonderful. I have never tried baking soda so I do not know if that works. I have heard a lot of people say that it does though. I might try it one day.