Need an EASY to care for indoor plant (or plants)?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by jemshko • May 27, 2012.

1. jemshko

jemshkoBanned

Threads:
    I have an alcove above the powder room in the entry way to my home. I would like to put some potted plants there. I'm no green thumb and this area is somewhat difficult to reach except for watering. I don't want to be climbing up there daily or anything!

Any suggestions on easy to grow, and care for plants that don't require much direct sunlight?

#1May 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    I am by no means an expert, but I have read before that peace lily's are good for cleaning the air, they filter it, so that might be do double duty for you. I don't know how often they are watered (I have a brown thumb, sorry!) but you can always get one of those self watering bulb things to stick in the pot. You won't have to climb up there as often for watering. Then there is always the silk flowers option too...that is my favorite, I can keep those alive. :D

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    lol - my mum also buys the artifical flowers and puts them in her pots. When she goes away on holiday I am always given the task of watering her plants. I have to admit I really have to look very carefully to tell the difference between the real and artificial flowers, they are so lifelike. So maybe you should consider them. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. These fingers ain't green.

4. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I second peace lilys. I have one that I rarely water (blushing) and it still looks great. I've had it since 2008 and it's still putting along. I water it like once every two weeks.....mental note to do better!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also go for the peace plant. My daughter was given one at her house warming party. She doesn't have a green thumb but she managed to keep the plant alive for more than a year.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The artificial ones look so realistic any more that I would really be tempted to go with those. That is about as "easy to care for" plant that you could possibly get.

7. Emmas_Nana

Emmas_NanaNew Member

Threads:
    I suggest snake plants. If you forget to water them for long periods of time, they still look great. They are almost impossible to kill unless you put them outdoors and forget about them when winter comes. They don't like it below 50 degrees outdoors. Inside you wouldn't have to worry about that. Even someone with the brownest of thumbs can grow snake plants.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps African Violets? My mother got a pot as a present from a friend and managed not to kill it for years even though she is.... well she has a black thumb.

9. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    One great plant for low-light conditions is the pothos, also golden pothos, which is variegated. These are the type of plant that you often see in office buildings because they don't need much water or care. They don't like to be over-watered, so once a week will do. They will even tolerate being pot-bound. Another idea is philodendron, which creates long vines that are kind of fun to trail around a door frame or a railing, if you like that look. There is also bamboo, which some would say needs a lot of sunlight, but actually they don't. I have kept bamboo for many years in low-light areas, and they are almost impossible to kill. They just need some water occasionally. Bamboo is normally planted in little rocks, so be sure to fill the vase of rocks with some water. I agree with the other posts the recommended african violet and peace lily, which will also do well in your conditions. Antherium is another type of plant that would do well in low light. Good luck, and happy-planting! :)

10. astockd1

astockd1Member

Threads:
    Good suggestions, but there is also the option of a cactus. There are some pretty looking ones in addition to the standard ones, and they don't need watered often at all. But whatever you choose, you could simply get a water bulb from Walmart for 99 cents so that you don't have to both watering them regularly. It's a glass bulb on a stick that you fill with water and stick into the soil. The plant absorbs what it needs as it needs it. You would just have to keep a lookout for the water level going low, and make sure the plant is getting sunlight every day.