Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon Prime

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lrd913 • Oct 11, 2014.

1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Which one do you prefer? Why?

I prefer Netflix. In the past six months they have added a lot of movies and tv shows that I really enjoy and want to watch. I still have cable so I don't really have a need for Hulu Plus, but if/when I cancel my cable I will probably add Hulu Plus back.

I had Amazon Prime for a few years but it just seemed to have the same stuff as both my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions. Prime also doesn't have as much available and they switch tv shows and movies out too quick for me.

What do you think is the best value? What do you like the best?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have either of them but most of my friends do Netflix. I think that Hulu would be my 2nd option to try. Many friends have recommended it and I think I have downloaded something from there once or twice. But I have never heard of Amazon Prime doing movies! I'm glad you brought this to our attention because we purchase things off of Amazon all the time (including e-books) and I never thought that I might be able to download a film as well. Thanks!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like using the free version of Hulu because it already has a large selection of shows. Crackle is also a good site for movies. If I were to choose one of these services that you have to pay for, though, I'd choose Amazon Prime. You not only get good streaming, but you also get free shipping for items that you order, and they come to your house in about 2 days.

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    If you have an Amazon Prime membership it allows you to access certain movies for free. It will say 0.00 as the price. I liked it when I had it but I just didn't feel a need to keep it. I don't think anyone can go wrong with streaming sites now. They all have a lot to offer. It really is so much easier than buying DVD's.

5. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I still use the free version of Hulu. If I miss a show it works for me since they usually have the latest five episodes available. I just didn't feel a need to keep Hulu Plus. I might get it again someday when I cancel my cable.

I love Crackle! I have access to it through my Roku and I've found loads of stuff to watch. The one thing that does annoy me is the commercials in the middle of a movie, but you get used to it after awhile.

I used to have Prime. I LOVED the 2-day shipping. I would have renewed but I don't buy enough off of Amazon right now to justify it. That was a really great perk of Prime. If I ever start to buy more through Amazon again I might go back to Prime. Shipping can be expensive and Prime can save a lot of money.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Hulu drives me bonkers with commercials, and I really hate that even paid subscribers are forced to watch them as well. If you try and watch all your shows online, about 45% of what you are downloading from Hulu are commercials, which waste your bandwidth - which is especially important considering most ISP's have a 250GB per month limit, after which you get charged extra. So you are basically paying not once, but twice for the privilege of watching commercials - what a scam. They will make you sit through like 2-3 minutes of commercials just to watch a 30 second clip on there, it's nuts.

I really enjoy Netflix overall, but it's selection is sometimes lacking for the types of movies and shows that I prefer. Other than that, it's straightforward and easy to use, and I like that you can opt for a lower quality video to save on bandwidth.

I have not tried Amazon Prime yet, since my video box doesn't support it, and I need to upgrade to something newer.

Honestly, though. I mainly watch a majority of my shows through sites sharing shows on streaming video services. One of my current favorites is VideoBull.to. Just make sure you have an ad blocker installed and don't download or install anything if prompted.

7. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'll have to look at VideoBull, thanks for the tip. I used to stream movies and tv shows through MegaShare(.)info, but the site stopped being update about six months ago. It was one of my go-to sites because it had full seasons and newer movies.

The Hulu ad thing drives me crazy. It didn't bother me when I didn't pay for it and only had the free version, but when I upgraded to Plus, I was a bit annoyed that there were still ads present. If they wanted to keep one ad per episode that would have been fine, but not a bunch of thirty second ads every ten minutes.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Netflix as well. There's just wide range of things to choose from. They add movies and tv shows all the time you won't even have time to get bored. It's one of the best things ever really.

9. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I really like using Netflix. Netflix has a lot of variety with a lot of good shows and classics. I especially like that they have a good amount of anime, especially some of the popular ones. It's gotten much better over the years compared to what it was before. However, I also have Amazon Prime and I like it because of the fact that Amazon Prime is a very good program for anyone who shops on Amazon a lot. Because I already had Amazon Prime before they started the video streaming service, I find it as kind of an added bonus. (You are talking about Amazon Instant Video, right?) The same goes for Amazon Music as well.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like all three. Netflix has some of my favorite TV shows. I have also discovered a whole bunch of British TV shows that I enjoy. Sometimes, I can find a good movie too. I use regular Hulu. Hulu is great for catching the latest episodes for my favorites. Amazon Prime has a great selection of science fiction shows that I can't find on Hulu and Netflix. Netflix sci-fi inventory is lacking. Paying for all three services is still cheaper than cable.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I use Netflix the most too. I like using hulu plus for current tv shows or old tv catalogs but there is a lot of overlap with Netflix. Sometimes I'll suspend my accounts for a month or two when I'm really busy or nothing new has been added. I save a lot by not buying cable every month. Probably around $1000 a year!

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think netflix is good if you have time to watch things. I have a student amazon prime at 49 dollars, 39 last year, so it was worth it. I did share it with friends by giving them my amazon details so I got a good use for it. The good thing is you can use it on multiple mediums, roku, xbox, tv, laptops etc.

You can always check to see what they have and they had the whole series of Fringe and Suits so it was easy for me to catch up. That was worth it for me alone.

13. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hulu is severely lame because they only operate in the America, even if they came to my country, I wouldn't be so quick to join them, unless the come with a better package than what Netflix has to offer. Amazon Prime is cool, but uh, I'm not quite savvy with the interface on Amazon so I cancelled my Prime membership with them a few months ago. Right now, I watch movies online, the down side to that is that you have to wait until the movie is loaded to the site, and for a suitable video quality is also uploaded, this may take up to five months, not long a wait if you aren't checking on it feverishly, but long enough for you to forget about wanting to see the movie and moving onto see others.

14. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Netflix is the best to me. I just like it and it has so many new movies and they are good movies that are on there. Too me it is so cheap and you just get access to so many good movies and tv series.

15. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Netflix! No commercials, it's cheap and there's lots of choices.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prime defintely offers the most bang for the buck. They also are now offering monthly memberships so you can sign up and use them inexpensively. It is a bonus for me that the whole 99 dollar fee does not have to be paid at once, and you can get what you want when you are using the site.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have the HBO one and it is easily the best one when it comes to movies. The shows are kind of hit or miss though, so I would take the others over this one, plus they are a lot cheaper.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I really like on HBO is Game of Thrones. Most of the movies, I have seen elsewhere already either on Netflix or streaming. I wouldn't pay to get HBO as there are not that many things on there that I really want to watch, and I think the money could best be put to use elsewhere honestly.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Without thinking twice: Netflix. :) The reason? Let me write some of them:

The service (in overall) is excellent, much better than I expected from a virtual company; The collection available to subscribers is well diversified; The improvements are frequent and the original productions are sensational.

I think "just" those factors that I mentioned above are already enough for me to choose Netflix as my favorite. ;)