Netflix over Cable ?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Roe • Sep 8, 2012.

1. Roe

RoeNew Member

Threads:
    With netflix gaining it's fame, how many of you are throwing away those cable boxes and satellite dishes for netflix?

My family hasn't completely converted, their argument stands as they are huge sports fans. Apparently there is no way to watch the games through netflix. Understandable.
    Have you converted to netflix? Both? Or are you satisfied with your cable or other resource?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll obviously still need to keep your internet connection for it. If you don't have a gaming device like an XBox or a Playstation, or a TV for that matter, that have Netflix built in, then you'll also need to pick up a streaming media player such as the Roku player. I have a Netflix account (the streaming one only, no deliveries) and I really enjoy it. Of course I don't get to see everything I like to watch on TV, but there are entire series of shows on Netflix that I never got on cable to begin with, such as the British version of Kitchen Nightmares. I have a friend that tried to cut the cord a couple years ago but wound up going back to cable. A lot has changed since then, and I think it's more feasible now. The other nice thing is, there's no commercials on Netflix, which is really nice. I can barely watch shows on cable because some of these commercials are so loud and obnoxious, and they play the same ones over and over again. I'm in the process of moving right now, but once I get settled down I think I'm going to ditch cable too.

3. tschibo

tschiboNew Member

Threads:
    We have both cable and Netflix. Truth be told, the only reason why we still have our cable is because bundling it with the Internet at our provider makes it cheaper than having the Internet alone. If it weren't for that, I would have gotten rid of cable a long time ago. We don't watch cable at all, other than an episode of a current series here and there, which definitely would not justify having to pay a bill to keep it. And don't get me started on the commercials that you have to endure... We watch all our shows and movies through Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime, and that's more than enough for me.

4. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Never. I'd choose cable over Netflix. I need my NBA League pass and my NFL network.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to choose it would have to be cable. I still have children at home and you can't beat the Disney channel and Nickelodeon for hours upon hours of cartoon madness. Children like watching their favorite shows over and over again. If I cut cable and got them an alternative cartoon on Netflicks and had to pay for it daily it just would not be practical. My eldest son also needs his sports fixes so cable it is.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have cable. I tried Amazon Prime, but it didn't really have what I wanted. It doesn't look like I will be able to ditch cable any time soon. I really don't watch much cable TV because I can watch it online.

7. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    Netflix alone over cable/satellite? I wouldn't dream of it.

You'd leave yourself without too much with just having netflix. New shows, sports, news, etc. However, if you're talking about a series of services with Netflix included then that's more tempting.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I like Netflix, I prefer it over my cable boxes. Nothing really comes on TV anyway, and if it does they show the same thing over and over. Netflix has a great selection of movies and tv shows.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

And it keeps em quiet for a few hours too eh?:p

10. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:

Yeah but to Netflix's disadvantage, those shows are reruns. Not to mention the lost of news, sports, and the latest shows.

If you're looking to be "current", Netflix isn't the answer by itself.

11. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Ok I would love to add to this conversation. What a great one. I love the topic of getting rid of cable. Trust me you can live with out it. I love the cable cutter movement! There are ways to watch all the sports you want for free online. We do it week after week. As far as Netflix, yes totally good for the price. We have the 8 dollar a month membership and love it. We stream it to our tv through a device called a Roku. You can find coupons for the Roku online and purchase at their web site or at Radio Shack. Not only can you stream Netflix but all the other services you want to get too. We however only do Netflix. We tried Hulu Plus and hated it. Netflix has no commercials and they update often. You can watch tv for free online at many sources such as

and many more. We even have it set up where we can drop what we are watching online from the computer screen to the tv screen full size it( only takes a few seconds to do all this) and then you can watch your channel on your tv and control the volume with your regular tv remote. We have not missed a show or sport since leaving cable. Its great not having a bill and watching for free. We will never go back to that heavy chain again. Yes its a little bit more work to get your favorite show but you will save so much money it will soon become easy & a breeze! I wish you the best of luck! If you ever want more details or help if you do want to leave cable let me know. I know how to even help you get the basic channels for free streaming in your Roku without a tv antenna!

12. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    A lot of that loss is coming from people who are just cutting the cord, which in many cases means paying for things like Netflix over cable.

|

|

13. testtest

testtestNew Member

Threads:
    this one is pretty tought to decide, i really dont know how to advise you .... sorry bro

14. CrazyCalvin

CrazyCalvinNew Member

Threads:
    My cable has been cancelled for about year now and I would like to say that Netflix is SURELY better then Cable. Many things on cable provide me with show's I really don't enjoy while Netflix gives me the shows I REALLY enjoy! Until today, not a single regret is given ;)

15. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of Cable. But Netflix will always be at a disadvantage alone. No news, no sports. old movies. old shows, nothing live, etc.

You'd have to use a bunch of other services in conjunction with Netflix to make it an even remotely fair fight.

16. Justyn Mendoza

Justyn MendozaNew Member

Threads:
    It's a tough one for me. I like some shows on cable that you can't get through netflix. Which even then doesn't really justify having cable in the first place because it's usually reruns of older episodes. But there is the option of having on demand which benefits greatly if you've missed an episode or movie. But I also like netflix because it has quite a few movies and series you don't normally see. But I can do without most of their B-rated content.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't buy cable or satellite any more anyway, but it's not because of Netflix.

Any time I have tried out Netflix in the past, I have been hugely disappointed. They don't have current seasons, for starters, and their movie collection sucks. They simply don't have the greatest variety or options available and I spend more time looking for something to watch than I do actually getting to watch something decent.

18. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    In order for Netflix to have even a remote chance of toppling normal cable/satellite, they need to find a way to actually KEEP their digital leases. Hulu seems to have found a way to do that. Netflix might be able to do the same.

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Netflix is so annoying I have blocked their ads from my website because google adsense kept showing Netflix ads over and over and over again. I'd visit my site and see Netflix ads like every 5 minutes. They were killing my PPC.

20. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    True i understand that as i have that problem too on my personal one and only blog. it also kills your site's performance and traffic source as no one wants to see "netflix" all the time on any website, especially if they have it already.