Netflix Review

Discussion in Product Reviews started by cheesecake • Sep 20, 2012.

1. cheesecake

cheesecakeMember

Threads:
    I have recently tried Netflix. I am on a free trial for it. I will talk about what I enjoy about the service as well as what I do not. The basic Netflix plan costs $7.99 per month which includes unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows.

PRO:
    Can be used on many devices- even portable devices
    Lots of variety
    Cheaper than cable
    You can watch shows from the very beginning.

CON:
    Movies and TV shows are not updated regularly
    A lot of the shows/movies are older. They may be classics, but I've already seen them a few times.

I load up Netflix and find that there are a lot of options. In fact, there are a lot of options for children in terms of movies and TV shows. I find some things that I used to watch as a kid. I used to love the show "Dinosaurs" as a kid and I was actually surprised to find this on Netflix. This show was on ages ago. One thing I wanted to find was "Puss in Boots" but they did not have it on Netflix. Overall, I don't think Netflix is actually a product I would buy again in the future. I think it suits some people, but I'd much rather watch newer television over cable and online. You can actually find newer episodes of shows online on things like Hulu for free. If I search for most of the things on Netflix, I could probably find them uploaded online somewhere on websites similar to Youtube. Granted, I'm not sure about the legality of this. I'm not downloading anything illegal but those shows are probably not legal to upload in the first place. At least I know for a fact that Netflix is legal and safe.

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also on a free trial. But I'm primarily around for the home DVD service.

I started my trial 3 days ago. For the first two days the website to pick DVDs for your queue wasn't working! So I was a little ticked. It wasn't working from my home or my work! That was really quite frustrating. But I would have been more stressed if I was paying and the website didn't work.

Now I've got my queue set up and I'm waiting. I'm rural so I'm wondering how long it will take to get a DVD.

I will report back!

3. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I think this is a better review since it is not promotional but based on the user experience. Thanks for the info! It might come in handy sometimes in the future.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    The Canadian version is horrific in terms of content. I went out and bought a VPN service for an extra $4 a month to get the US service. It was well worth it. It triples the content at least and make it for $11 a month worth it.

Also, if you are in Canada and on metered bw. like most of us then you can go into your settings and change the picture resolution to save your
    monthly internet usage.

5. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I've had Netflix for several years. When they first started out, they were great with prices. Now, they've been raising it pretty consistently and I've gone from having 3 movies out at a time to only one and streaming. But I actually think I'm going to get rid of it entirely. The streaming is more tv shows than movies. I don't like that. And the movie selections, as you has mentioned, are limited at best. I don't understand why Netflix just doesn't do all their movies streaming and either charge a slightly higher rate for the month or have a limited number of moives you can watch per week. I may just use Redbox in the near future.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I like it. I don't expect TV shows and stuff to be updated right away because of copyrights and things like that. I do wish they could get movies faster and I hope they are working on a way to do that. I would pay a little bit more to get movies the same time they are released on DVD but that would be very difficult to do for this type of service.

7. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I love Netflix, the only thing that I could wish for is more foreign movies. I'm a huge fan of them and while there's a decent amount on there, I wish there was a lot more. Netflix has expanded a lot of peoples taste of movies from what I've seen, so adding more non-American movies has a lot of benefit when you think about it...at least in my opinion.

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've been wondering about Netflix. Almost every website I visit has an ad for a free trial. We are in the country with limited Internet service so streaming isn't an option. We'd only use it for mail order. Since there are multiple Redbox's in the area, it's kept me from trying Netflix. If our Internet is ever upgraded, I'll probably give it a try.

9. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    I love Netflix so much! I don't really like current movies, so it works for me. I use it for TV shows and documentaries. My fiance and I love to curl up in bed with my laptop and watch some good adult cartoons like King of the Hill! It's so much cheaper than cable and it suits our tastes way better than cable would. I also like that they sort things into categories you would like. For me, it's "cerebral" and "dark humor".

10. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    I used to have a job working as a direct care staff for a lady that had mental retardation. I worked the 4-midnight shift and she went to bed around 8 or 9 so I got a netflix account and I'd watch DVDs on my laptop after she went to sleep. They had a pretty good selection of DVDs which is what I used the service for mostly. But later I left that job and didn't have much of a reason to use the DVDs anymore (since I normally do everything online) and I realized their streaming selection sucks. They never have ANYTHING I want to see so I finally just canceled my account.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you. I also had it when it first started and the streaming just came with it. I didn't mind that not ALL the movies were available streaming because I could always get the actual DVD. But when they started to charge for each service, they lost me. Its ok for $7.99 but $16 for dvd and streaming is not worth it to me. After 5 years I had to let it go.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really don't like it. I suppose if I watched more of the shows it had available, then I might be more interested. The fact that it's only old seasons, though, doesn't do me any good unless I'm trying to find a new show to watch. I would rather use other sites to find the shows I want to watch. And often times I can do that for free instead.

13. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    The only problem I have with Netflix is that they offer almost no new blockbuster movies. They also got rid of Starz, ShowTime, and other network shows due do contract disputes. I love it for just about everything else. They have a lot of new shows on there as well.

14. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    They need a lot more stuff set up for streaming. A lot of the hit and popular movies aren't even available for streaming.

15. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    As a potential Netflix customer, it's great to read the varied opinions about it. I am interested in subscribing to the most basic plan. My husband and I both enjoy documentaries and our daughter is starting to enjoy children's programs. In our area, Redbox does not carry many new hits either, so Netflix seems like a better plan for us.

16. bellahpereira

bellahpereiraMember

Threads:
    I have finished my Netflix free trial and am a very satisfied member. I'm not sure which Netflix you have, as different countries have different sites, but the Canadian one is beginning to shape up pretty nicely. At first, it seemed like it really didn't have that many things to watch, and it did appear that most movies/shows were older - but now, they'd begun to add many new things and I'm very pleased. I think that it just takes a while for them to add new things, but that's expected. It's a great service to have and I highly recommend it.

17. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I like Netflix. The movies out today are retarded anyway , I like watching the old movies. I don't have a problem with it, they are great in my case.

18. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    As a Canadian, my NetFlix is very different from the American. Our cost is also $7.99 but the amount of content is far less. This is also something to consider: NetFlix consumes your data. Our internet bill has gone up because we are streaming it:( an unfortunate side-effect. I do love it though. I just have to keep an eye on how much I am watching.

19. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I agree with OP on this. Netflix never updates their database anymore. Well at least if feels like it they don't. I think they need better customer support.

20. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    There are definitely many things that make Netflix somewhat frustrating when trying to find specific content, but for the price I personally think it is worth it. I have downgraded my cable package, saving much more than what Netflix costs me plus the Hulu subscription I also have. I find Hulu a better option for current running television shows for sure since they have the episodes up sometimes as soon as the day after airing.