Never buy cheap earbuds from the Dollar Tree!

Discussion in Product Reviews started by SEA81 • Apr 22, 2012.

1. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I wish someone would have told be this a few weeks ago. I bought about 5 of them when two pairs of $10 earbuds broke in two weeks. The first pair lasted about two weeks. The second pair has been going for a month or so.

2. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    It really comes down to getting what you pay for. Personally I don't mind using cheap knock-offs because I hardly use them anyway. I agree though, the sound quality isn't too good, they tend to break easily and aren't as comfortable as the good quality ones. I must have went through quite a few over the years.

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I was never comfortable wearing the 'over the ear' ones. Cable length is very important to me, and most of the dollar/pound ones have shorter length. I buy mine online and ensure I get a longer cord length. They are slightly more expensive but they last for over a year every time.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually got a really nice pair of those big over the ear headphones that make you look like a DJ for $9.99 at TJ Maxx. TJ Maxx has a section near the cash register for headphones and earbuds. Many of them are good brands that are just marked down and/or on clearance.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like you did get a bad deal. As they say 'You pay peanuts, you get monkeys' down here where I live. Good that you took the time to let people know this. I guess buying good brands at marked down prices is a safe deal.

6. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    This is one of those occasional times where you get what you pay for! They even sell them in gumball machines at a grocery store around here. They're really cute and brightly colored but I just know they won't work for more than a few days. It's like buying a cheap goldfish at the carnival. You can just expect it to die soon.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased earbuds from the Dollar Tree when I needed something in a pinch. No, they didn't last very long. One of the earbuds stop working. My favorite place to buy headphones is Ross Dress for Less. I can get name brand headphones for cheap. BigLots is another great place. They aren't name brand, but you definitely get your money's worth of the headsets that you buy.

8. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I bought 2 from another dollar store and one of the buds stopped working after a few weeks and the second one was going in and out as soon as I bought it. I bought a headset with the microphone from Dollar Tree and it records really low. So yeah, in this case, you definitely get what you pay for.

9. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I disagree with this. They're only $1 after all, so if you're going into them expecting to be great quality then you've got unreasonable expectations. I've bought $1 headphones before and while they have never lasted very long or been the best quality, I also can't complain because I feel like you're expected to know that going into the purchase. Plus when you think about it, Beats by Dre are $300. So logic dictates that these Dollar Tree headphones are 1/300 as good, and I think they might even be better than that.

10. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores are usually incredibly cheap knockoff items. Electronics bought at dollar stores usually stop working almost immediately. Stick to things that can't possibly be messed up even with the worst quality when you buy things from the dollar stores, or things you can see the quality up close like hats and shirts. You get what you pay for there, and you're not paying much.
    And be careful about brands, some knockoff brands have incredibly similar names to throw you off. I learned this when I thought I was getting a great deal on sharpies, which were really shoroies or something along those lines, which was horrible writing quality and the felt tip of the markers actually split and fell off.

11. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree, had some problems with them too, so I went and bought some at walmart for five dollars they work better and are still working!

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    At least yours lasted more than a week lol. I've bought ear buds twice there when I was running low on cash and neighter pair lasted over a week.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased the earbuds from the dollar store a few times for my grand sons and I do agree with you that they are a waste of money. The kids throw them on the floor so the never last more that a week if that long. The kids have some more expensive ones now that have lasted a few months even though they are not treated any better.

14. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    If you throw anything on the floor, it's not going to last very long.

15. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    Good to know. I always try to get items at the Dollar Tree in order to save some money since I have found some items, like liquid hand soap, are pretty much the exact same quality as other places. You should watch deals on amazon or even Wal-mart on earbuds though since there are times where you can get some that are about $1 in price and are better quality than those sold at dollar stores.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know i have brought ear buds from dollar tree and they have worked just fine for me it's going on almost a year and i still have them and they are still going strong maybe you just got bad ear buds

17. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    I got one of those cheap headphones and after a couple of weeks one of the earphones just fell off. They didn't even have good sound. I've learned my lesson, sometimes paying more for a good product is better then paying less for a bad one.

18. darren777

darren777Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean , I would avoid buying any electronics at dollar tree. While they are good for certain things like snacks, notebooks and what not, anything like electronics is usually gonna be not even worth a dollar. Still dollar tree is really good place to shop you can find a lot of good deals there!!

19. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    Some time ago I bought the earbuds from The Dollar Tree and I had the same problem. The Dollar Tree offers cheap things and no one likes to overpay but sometimes it's better to buy more expensive products with higher quality.

20. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I agree and I wouldn't even spend the $1 on them. You can find a much nicer and better quality pair somewhere else and it shouldn't cost you anymore than about $5-$10. It may be a little more in price, but it will definitely last longer than a week.