New Editions Of Old Movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SLTE • Dec 11, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    The Star Wars thread pushed me to consider a semi-new trend I've noticed in movie releases in the last, oh, five, maybe ten years: re-releases. Movie company releases a movie, they wait a year, they release a new version with a different box, they wait two more years, they release another version with another box, perhaps with a fancy gift set. Maybe toss in some DVD extras. I'm sure anyone who likes Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, any trilogy, really, will know what I'm talking about.

My question is, are you the kind of fan who will buy every new version of a movie, just so you can add it to your collection? Or will you purchase a single copy and be happy with it? I could never justify the expense of buying virtually the same thing over and over again, so I'm definitely in the latter camp. I don't get why some folks are so wasteful with their money doing otherwise.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That certainly is a smart way to get fans to keep buying more of the same thing. Fancy gifts? Some extras? Heck yeah! For me though those aren't good enough an enticement. I hardly ever pay full price for DVDs so I doubt that I'll be forking out more money to buy a DVD that has the same content another DVD I have has. That wouldn't be a great way to spend money. For collectors I believe it's different . . .

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't ever get fanatical about a movie. I guess I'm just not geeky enough LOL We tend to buy one version and if we enjoy it, great. But we don't keep chasing each and every version, spin off and whatever other add ons. We all have our vices, but this is definitely not one of mine. My brother in law is the sort of person who does this, though.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've got so many copies of the Star Wars original trilogy (DVD and video) but you buy them because you are afraid of missing out on any extra footage. I have to admit they aren't always worth it, so I wait and see the reviews or borrow it from my brother who will buy it for the sake of it.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean by remakes. I have noticed recently that movie companies are in the trend of remaking lots of childhood stories. I think a new Peter Pan movie came out a while ago called "Pan". They are going through all the super heroes like Batman or "Dark Knight" and now Marvel has a new movie called "Ant Man". What I would really like to see is more movies based upon classic books. I like mystery and detective type of themes so I would like movies such as Nancy Drew or Sherlock Holmes. I have seen the black and white Sherlock Holmes types of movies on YouTube and have enjoyed them.

I know for some people they will pay extra for extra footage, commentaries, etc but I'm not that type of person.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I appreciate that there are some who enjoy collecting this kind of memorabilia - I'm very definitely not one of them - as to be perfectly honest I would see it as a total waste of money - particularly as - apart from a few movies - the number of which I could probably count on one hand - I rarely ever watch a movie more than once.

:oops: that said - I've just realized that it wouldn't exactly be the case if I were to bring my husband into the equation - as I do have to admit - that I did buy him the first edition of the Lord of The Rings Trilogy when it was first released - not because he is a collector - but simply because - as he has always enjoyed re-reading the books every now and again - I thought that being able to re-watch the movies whenever he wanted to would bring just as much enjoyment - if not more so - which as it did and still does - it was in this instance - as he still has both and uses them at least once a year - worth every cent - as its one of those gifts that just keeps on giving.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't collect because I know the format will become obsolete after a few years and I'm sure I'll want to replace my collection then just to update, and if I don't I'll just have a patchy collection of different types of discs and my compulsiveness probably will never let me rest for that so I just choose to have everything digital where I know I can get the best quality and replacing them won't be much of an issue or an expense as well, and not to mention it takes up way less space. I think people replace their collections just because they love movies in general and probably it is a way for them to physically see that love that they want to express, and sometimes it borders on a bit of an obsession so they tend to buy multiple copies just to be complete, but hopefully they are selling their old stocks or they have plans to sell it for more in the future once they are phased out of the market.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Locally if you like some old movies our library has an annual sale that includes DVDs and CDs. It's so cheap and you can find many oldies and goodies. Maybe your library has the same kind of ales too? I know what you mean about remakes though that I don't particularly like. Mission Impossible is one of them and I like the original cast. When Star Trek came out with other actors I watched it for a while, but I like the original better.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't purchase movies nowadays, but I am still able to add movies to my digital collection just by downloading them. Why pay when you can get them for free, right?