New or used appliances, Which would you prefer?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Deeme • May 6, 2013.

1. Deeme

DeemeNew Member

Threads:
    When it comes to buying appliances like Washers, Dryers, Toasters, Stoves etc, Which would you prefer? Would you go all out and buy brand new? Or would you look around for a good deal?
    I have purchased used appliances in the past and I still have some of them. I think the oldest one I have is a toaster that was from the 70's and I still use it, I think it looks cool because its vintage!
    So which would you prefer, New or used?

2. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the appliance. One of the benefits of purchasing new appliances is that they come with a warranty which could be beneficial for items like washing machines, stoves etc.
    I do love the idea of vintage appliances and ironically some of them may have a longer lifespan than newly made items!

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really matter to me I have gotten used things before and they have worked really good. I have my washer and dryer and they are both used and I have had them for 2 years and they still work great

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try to buy new appliances. Especially those that are used practically on a daily basis. I will admit that once I did buy a refurbished washing machine from the appliance company that I deal with. But as pointed out above this machine didn't come with a warranty and it only lasted about a few years before it needed to be replaced. As hard as it maybe at times to afford these appliances, I still find that buying them new is best, because they will come come with a warranty and last a bit longer then used ones.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For small ,affordable items like toasters and coffeemakers ,I buy new ones because they're really affordable.
    If I was buying something expensive like a stove, I would consider used. Some of those old stoves from the 70's are still in working order and I don't have a pot of gold to spend on a new stove.

6. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    When it comes to appliances, I buy new. I'm afraid of investing money into a large item that may have been repaired. Plus, I like to have the manufacturers warranty with expensive items.

I love buying used items as far as clothes and other small items, especially from Goodwill.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would buy a dryer used, but I don't think I would buy a used washer just because I'm a freak about bacteria. I think that the dryer would be cleaner because the clothes were already washed. LOL I'm just weird like that. I wouldn't buy small things like toasters or appliances that are hard to clean. Buying used saves you money and saves another appliance from the junk yard!

8. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    With appliances I think I would mostly buy new. I can only imagine the wear and tear that some people put on some of their appliances and many times people get rid of their old appliances when they don't work as good and are replacing them.

I like to know the appliance from the beginning if I am paying for it so this way I know that it was treated good and not a washer that was overloaded too many times and caused problems for example.

We just replaced our old washer (which we didn't buy the one we just replaced so we don't know how old it was.) When the guys took out the old washer, they told me that the shipping cord was never taken out and that is what put the strain on it the whole life of the washer. The shipping cord is supposed to help keep the tub from moving all around during shipping but then be removed before installing. So if I would have sold it before it died (not knowing this) somebody could have bought it and ended up with the washer completely dying on them because of this.

They may cost you more, but I think new appliances are the safer way to go if you want it to last a long time.

9. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I would prefer new appliances - I think if given the choice, almost everyone would pick something new over something used. As you mentioned though, there may be a better deal on a used product, so it's more would I choose something cheap and used or something new and expensive.

I think with big appliances, if I have the money I'd buy new. I want the warranty because I've seen them break down so often in the past - particularly with washing machines and dryers.

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I only prefer new appliances.
    I just can't imagine buying something used especially when I plan to use this product very often or even everyday.
    I rather buying something new and full of quality instead of getting something from a stranger who used it.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only allow second hand as an option on a select few items, and I especially don't like buying used products when it comes to appliances that will be used for food. First, I'm not really sure what's been done with it and how it's been used, and second, I wouldn't know if it will break down on me after a few months or years. At least with a brand new one, I can be sure of the quality and it will even be backed up with a warrantee.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on the items. in general, things as old as your toaster are made MUCH better than toasters today. Most products are built as cheaply as possible and the proof is in the need for repairs early in the item's life. A TV used to last me so many years, I just bought three large flat screens, big names, all different stores and all three had issues in under 8 months. Not good. Also with used, they can be cheap enough that if they break down, fixing them or even buying a new one will still keep you under the price of a brand new appliance.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks on a nick & dent appliance, such as something that got knocked around a little during delivery and they cannot sell it for full price. But I would be reluctant to get something that is too old or worn, simply because of all the work to get it delivered and hooked up.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to appliances I always buy new and make sure that I get the best. I don't making paying a little more for quality which works perfectly. I hate having to spend money on repairs and maintenance. It is always new appliances for me.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to something pricey then I will try and buy a cheap secondhand one but if it is something with a lower price (toaster, microwave, etc) then I will just go out and buy it new from a store like Argos. I think the only thing I would not buy secondhand is a bed, which is weird because I sleep in hotels and B&Bs a lot and my girlfriend pointed out that people sleep in those beds other than me.

16. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I greatly prefer to just buy new, just like all my gadgets. It's just not the feeling of buying something new, which is great, but also you get fresh guarantee that it will work, and if something goes wrong, you can still trade it back.

But there are times which are good to buy used appliances, just because of the ratio of using value and price.

17. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    New appliances because they last longer and you can claim warranty...

18. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    It's all about what I can afford. If an used product is almost the price of a new product then I buy the new item. I would love to be able to buy all new appliances all the time but I'm perfectly content with used items. My washer and dryer are both used and run great and I have a couple of small appliances that were purchased used.

19. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I like to get new appliances, because their is definitely not going to be any problems with new appliances. I remember getting a used refrigerator, and it did not run for along time. It stopped running smooth after about 2 years.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the budget that you have at the moment. Sometimes if you have less money to spend, then buying used appliances might be the way to go. Just make sure that you get to check the condition of the product before buying it. Sometimes the condition might be poor so buying it is just like buying trouble.