New Or Used Phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Miaka_M • May 20, 2016.

?

Used or New?

1. Used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    This is a question that many ponder now, should they buy a new phone or should they purchase a used phone from another seller? (Note that I am not talking about used phones provided by phone companies now, but I mean used phones from individuals like you and me)

One drastic example are iphones. At retail price, they can cost between an arm and a leg if you are a student or not making as much as you would like, then we have some people who do not mind the price at all. Now, would you opt to purchase the phone in their stores or would you buy it from someone else?

Personally, I like purchasing new things, never used because I have an issue coming up with all the negative things that could have happened to the phone, a fear of the unknown is what plagues my mind. I had a friend of mine who dropped his phone in the toilet and resold it because he didn't want to think about that again, he later admitted that he made a mistake and he felt bad for the person that he sold the phone to. Now, what do you think?

2. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Phones are not as durable as they used. In Fact manufacturers design Phones to long only for so long as to keep the Update train on. If you buy a used phone which been used badly then you are making a Dead investment. Considering how quick the price of modern smartphones fall down you can get a newer better version of the same phone for a lower price after a few weeks. Also, buying Used phones Online might encourage people who Clone and Sell Stolen Phones. Besides, You can get a very good Manufacture authorised Refurbished Phone for reliability. Good Luck.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I suggest only to buy used phones from trusted dealers. Is not a poor idea to buy an used phone in retailer as amazon for example as long as there are quarantees established. Remember that due to increasing demand, some Coltan is extracted by slave labour in Congo and major companies avert their eyes in regard this issue and don't ask uncomfortable questions to their material providers. No buying brand new helps to relieve the demand and eventually the pressure for more Coltan.

4. ADE07

ADE07New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy a used phone, like you mentioned, you never know what happened to it during it's lifetime. It may quit very soon and then you will need to buy again.

But you may want to take a step back and think about what you will be using your phone for to decide what your next phone will be. If you haven't already done that of course. For example when my current phone dies I will probably buy a cheap one that does everything that I want to do with it. I mean I check the internet, use social networks like facebook and use a few more apps that really don't use all that much resources. For this I don't need the newest iPhone or Samsung that has the power of a laptop. It would be overkill. You may be surprised what kind of phone will suit you when you analyze your needs.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I had already purchased the new iphone, only because I really like how the iphone is, I like the look and the features that it comes with. I do, however, believe that I would be very surprised indeed if I actually analyzed what phone would suit me the best. For one, I'm not as active on social media as I used to be and I basically text people the most and browse the web. I do like imessaging features on the iphone though, as well as the camera. I used to have an LG that would freeze all the time, hence why I decided to make a switch.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider purchasing a used phone.These phones nowadays can be very fragile and there is a myriad of things that could go wrong with a used phone and there may not be a guarantee against the possible malfunctions. It may be left to the will of the vendor to make right any problems with the device. However, When I purchase a new phone I have the coverage of a guarantee for a certain period to be compensated or to obtain a replacement if the device malfunctions. Therefore, instead of purchasing a used phone, I prefer to wait until I am able to afford a new instrument before seeking to acquire one.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd only want to buy a used phone if I know that the owner hasn't used it for more than six months. That would make the phone relatively new. However if I don't know how long a phone has been used I won't buy it because most people get rid of their phones when it's got some issues.

If have to buy a phone instead of buying one someone has used, I'll instead get a cheaper phone. I'll have saved money whilst also getting something which I'm be sure will be lasting longer . . .

8. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't purchase a used phone. If I'm in the market for a phone, I want the one that came in the original box and has the plastic over it. Purchasing a used phone just has too many risk like everyone else has mentioned.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer just buying new whatever it is I'm buying aside from maybe a few exceptions, but especially for electronics unless they are extremely cheap at a second hand price that I wouldn't mind if it broke down earlier than expected. Otherwise I think just buying something brand new betters your chances at getting the most use out of your purchase even if it means you have to settle for a cheaper brand. I would only consider it if it were coming from a trusted source like a friend or a family member but even then I'd be a bit hesitant.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to frown on used phones before. Why would one buy a used phone when it is already an old model? But when I learned that used phones are sold cheap then I realized that some people have no money to buy a brand new phone and some people just want to save. A good smart phone can be had for $300 at least but the similar phone (with an older model) is sold for less than $50. That's the reason why even housemaids and family drivers have nice phones to show because of those used phones in the black market.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer refurbished phones, because they are frequently much more affordable and also I think overall they perform better than new out of the box phones as they have been personally reinspected for quality. I might buy a used phone, but the price would have to be right. I have seen some pretty affordable refurbished phones, and in fact, I have one now.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had a used phone, and wouldn't buy one either. Refurbished maybe different if it was say a display model and needed fixing, but I still prefer it to be new, not only for hygiene reasons but you don't know what the phone was used for before or where it has been. It's different if it has come from a friend though, but not a complete stranger.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would purchase a refurbished phone from a company but a used phone from a person I don't think I would take the chance of the phone being in good condition or lasting long enough to get value from the phone. Also the cost of the phone would be something to consider also, $10 or $100.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I can afford it then I certainly would buy a brand new phone, since it's liable to not have issues as compared to buying a 2nd hand one. I have already bought 2nd hand phones before and they have turned out quite ok.

15. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    I hate using used phones. Even if I am promised a phone in a fully working state, I won't purchase it due to many reasons.
    Firstly,even though a phone may seem new, it still may have cache and other lag inducing programs in the phone running that we are not aware,thus making the phone slower and even worse than a brand new phone.The second reason is that,sure a used phone maybe be cheaper, but we don't have the full guarantee that it will be in a good state and lasting state as a new one.
    Basically,I like to buy new phones just to guarantee that they are working and there's nothing wrong with them.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would maybe by an used phone from a friend, family or someone I really trust. Or I could buy refurbished directly form the store with a warranty. However, I think it is too risky to go online on eBay or somewhere like that and by an used phone from whoever. The phone can have all sorts of issues and problems that made the person sell it, and you may end up with something that does not work at all or has way too many issues to even use, and the price will not be worth it.

17. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    The only site I will buy used phones on is C7recycle because I have done plenty of business with them and never let me down. Refurbished phones are always good if you can get a good bargain but I would never go to Ebay because it can't be trusted, as far as electronics that have been used goes. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a cheaper burner type phone than yes; however, if you want a new iPhone or Android then it would probably be better dishing out more money for a new phone for the long term investment.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a new phone because it's going to conform to your tweeks. But if the used phone goes for a penny...then I will buy it. So if the used phone is a sweet deal I'll consider it a lot for you can throw it away after it breaks on you and not buy a battery for it later which can be expensive.

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought used phones on ebay twice now and I must stress that you should make sure to not buy a phone that has a stock photo on the listing. I always make sure that I see an actual photo of the phone before buying so that I know what I am buying. You might see a stock photo of a new phone, but the cell you get has scratches all over. It's worth messaging the buyer before bidding!

20. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I always buy new phones, you can also get a decent discount on them if you know how to wait. I got my actual phone paying almost half the price after one year of its release, fresh and new from the store. Most phones nowadays aren't really durable and they are easily burned out by mobile gams and apps, so buying an used phone is always a gamble. After a few months it could start freezing, it could become slower over time and it wouldn't be worth its price.

I prefer waiting a little and getting a new phone with a big discount, but I understand that a lot of people prefer to change their phones often. If you want to change phones every few months to get a newer or better model, buying an used phone will save you a lot of money in the long run. However keep in mind that the durability is a big issue, since you don't know what happened to the phone.