New study on milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TPhoenix • Oct 29, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sitting here having breakfast and all of the sudden I hear a newscaster bring up a new study revelation about milk. Now from preconceived knowledge, milk has always been declared as a vital liquid source of calcium for your bones and a strong consumption a day is healthy. However, now I'm hearing a new study that if you drink up to 3 glasses of milk a day, you put yourself at risk of reducing your lifespan? Don't you guys just get annoyed when these so called studies come out that they are only finding now for some reason?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like you can currently find a study for just about anything these days. Hah. I try not to follow anything reported on The Today Show. They are so trendy and just passing around whatever is the latest fad.

As far as the necessity for milk though, strangely enough, though I grew up drinking it, none of my 4 children do. It turns out the first two are lactose intolerant and my 3rd is just plain allergic (breaks out in hives). My baby is still on breastmilk, but I have no intention of giving her cow's milk when she's one. It turns out that a well balanced diet provides all the necessary vitamins kids need.

Honestly, the milk thing for me was more about the fat I thought kids needed for brain development. My first 2 both drank whole milk at 1, but eventually we learned it was the cause of their gastrointestinal problems - so I don't even buy it anymore.

I think people in America are currently more worried about the hormones in milk now than anything else, and it isn't as common as it used to be.

The main thing for us was not switching from milk to juice or something. Instead, my kids pretty much just drink water with everything. We tried almond milk and soy milk and coconut milk, but they don't like it and frankly, I'm happy not to spend the money.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    You should always take any studies with a pinch of salt, often researchers try to tweak their data and research methods to yield a significant result. While I'm not saying that this study is wrong - 3 glasses of milk is indeed fairly extreme and could cause some problems, consuming say 2 glasses of milk in moderation should not be expected to do any harm to your body. If anything it should be good since calcium is an essential mineral that we require.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Milk has calcium because of what the animal eats. Think about what most commercial cows eat. It's not actually a good source at all and there are many reasons for this. Just because it's in there, doesn't mean it's working for you.

That said, you don't need a study on milk.. look at the vast amount of studies on overall nutrition and vitamin and mineral consumption. Most people are deficient in key nutrients that will actually cause the calcium to be leached from the bones and teeth.. just because you drink your calcium, does not at all mean it's getting to where it needs to be. Most people are deficient in Vitamin D, which helps absorb the calcium.. once absorbed though, yet another nutrient is needed to help guide it to where it needs to go.. otherwise, you risk plaque build up in the arteries and other calcification issues plaguing your organs etc. It's actually very risky to drink so much milk when you have no clue what other vitamins and minerals you're deficient in.

Get your levels tested.. then put the milk down and eat your greens.

#4Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There will always be these new studies on everything we consume on a regular basis - the news networks eat this stuff up because they want to keep their audiences in a constant state of fear and panic and tuned into them at all times. All they have to do is lead into a commercial break with some salacious headline like "Is the milk you drink really as safe as you think? Find out what new studies suggest when we return..." and boom, you're glued until they come back.

In reality the study was probably done by some quack organization with other motives in mind for planting that story in the press.

If cows milk was the threat some people claim it is, most of us wouldn't be here. Plus giving up milk means giving up a whole slew of things many of us enjoy and love from cheeses, to baked goods, to whipped cream, butter, and other products.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL! I'm not supposed to be amused since we're talking about reduced lifespans here, but really, it's kind of ironic. Thankfully, I've stopped drinking three glasses a day since elementary. I try to get my source of calcium from various dairy products instead. This is no different from coffee studies. So many conflicting research results. I don't know who to believe anymore.

7. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I guess under the right circumstances any study could be justified. Without knowing all the details to the study then there's no way to know if it is real or not. The best thing to do is to just take everything with a bit of moderation.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Studies or no studies the fact is that some African tribes live on cow milk, blood and meat alone. I read that somewhere and I'm sure they live long lives. So for me, when I hear of new findings, etc, etc, I just ignore them. Soon some other group will come out with proof that drinking lots of milk is beneficial same way they did with avocados . . . blast them first then come back later and say, hey, we were wrong.

Have no fear, drink your milk if you like it. Everyone will die eventually and the cause of death will never be excessive consumption of milk.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find this annoying as well, which is why I've chosen to just ignore most of them and just eat what the basics are in terms of healthy food which is vegetables and fruits. I've given up On milk and vitamin tablets and will not go back unless a doctor tells me that it would be beneficial to my condition specifically. A lot of old ways that were just blindly enforced on us by our parents are slowly being revealed as false so I've chosen to just unlearn everything.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, but you're wrong lol. As I said above.. if you know how the body works, you don't need studies on milk. First.. no tribe will be hiking to the nearest grocery store for their milk. Their milk is likely very healthy. Not ours. It depends where you are though, of course. Second.. Heart disease.. check it out on the list of top killers. Clogged arteries are a fast track to heart attack and stroke. Anyone who eats the typical diet of high fat, high sugar and salt etc are likely getting a lot of calcium from their cheeses and other dairy products. Excess calcium leads to clogged arteries when there is a deficiency in other nutrients which most people are definitely doing to themselves. So yes.. I'd say many of the deaths are from dairy product consumers. Even if their diet is somewhat healthy otherwise ;)

Never listen to studies on specific foods.. there is a pro and a con to everything. It's well known what the body needs and doesn't though and that's where we need to focus.

#10Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The pasteurized milk sold at most stores, are highly deficient and mixed with a bunch of preservatives that are harmful to humans. Non-pasteurized milk from free-range cows that eat green grass, are the best and have not history of being harmful to humans in high quantities. Also, calcium is constantly being used from one's bones throughout one's lifetime, and drinking milk doesn't prevent this loss or helps supplement the Calcium if no Vitamin D is present with it, according to a recent Harvard study of milk I read - then again, there is no clear understanding of how milk can help with human bones.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At one time a study would be announced and people paid attention to the new findings. Now with a new study coming out controdicting all of the old or newer information they seem to be just another person talking that had too much time on their hands and needed something to do.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These studies are quite inconsistent, maybe because technology before was not as advanced as compared to today? There also has been a study regarding milk not really helping to combat osteoporosis. I guess the latest study is the more valid, I guess.

14. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    My family doesn't drink regular milk as their are better options out there. We tend to drink either Almond milk or make our own Hemp Milk. Both are considered more nutritionally sound than drinking regular milk. Most regular milk brands have hormones and other stabilizers added to them in their production. You can do your own research on the matter and the health concern is valid. Therefore, why take the risk when you can easily substitute?

15. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    Milk is not as nutritious as it was in the past. It is contaminated with hormones and chemicals. I avoid milk as much as I can. I substitute it with soy beans, vegetables, eggs and sunshine for the source of supply for protein and calcium. It is quite hard as many food or dishes require milk to prepare. Luckily I am not allergic to it as some people do.

16. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    Studies have gone back and forth on random topics for ages. It can get frustrating. But as for milk, I like to use Almond Milk as a good alternative. It has a great amount of calcium and vitamin D.

17. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I too am getting a bit sick of all of these new studies. I understand that things a discovered about our bodies everyday, but some of this stuff is just ridiculous. Milk, really? It took all these years to finally find out that milk in excess would shorten life? That seems like someone doesn't want us to be healthy. It wouldn't surprise me that this along with a bunch of other so-called dietary studies are false. Think about it, they are steadily making our food unsafe with all the MSG, and aspartame they are putting in the food with thousands of preservatives. That's why I stick to just eating everything in moderation.

18. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like studies on milk change all of the time...kind of like the ones on coffee, wheat, etc. I don't pay much attention to them. I don't think that drinking 3 glasses of milk a day could be detrimental to your health in any way. That's just my opinion though :)

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It is a little annoying, not to mention what you're likely to hear on the news is probably not even 1/3 of the actual story and leaves a lot to be desired in terms of relevant details. I'm not a big fan of milk anyway, never have been, so I'm more likely to have a lack of it than too much. Still, milk is far from the only thing that has the advice and "expert opinion" changing faster than you can turn around to try and keep up with it.