No Breakfast

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gad • Jun 15, 2017.

1. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Sometimes in our lives, we are faced with hardships. Many a time you find that you have been fired and you did not have savings. Before you get another job you have to survive. At other times we have delayed salaries. This is where one comes up with tactics for survival. I remember a time I would jump breakfast so as to save on money for lunch. It worked but I had o strain a lot. Would you sacrifice your breakfast to save on cash?

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Skipping breakfast is a bad decision because it is the most important meal of the day. You can skip snacks and lessen your dinner but never ever skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast will actually make you eat more.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    It happens to me at the end of the month so I would just skip my breakfast and go directly for lunch as I get my lunch from my office canteen which is included in the salary and also dinner. It will be hard but I don't have any other choice.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well this sounds just terrible. I get it and I have been there, but these days I need a good breakfast to get out the door. I consider myself lucky I like cereal though because the last thing I really want to do that early is cook.

5. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    Like the most of us here, I would disagree too. As Beast_titan rightly mentioned, breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day. It's not good for your body to keep it starving for over 12 hours, considering that you had your dinner. To save money, I will choose to skip my lunch and have a heavy breakfast and have things like Sago (takes a lot of time to digest) which keeps me out of hunger for a reasonable amount of time. Breakfast will always be on my list even if it comes to cost cutting.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is so called breakfast for you have "break" the long hours of waiting to eat the next meal. Imagine you eat your dinner, shall we say, 7 in the evening, then your next meal would be 6 in the following morning. How much time you have to wait? 11 hours. Thus, you have to eat your morning meal or your breakfast. Nutritionist, dietitian, doctors would generally recommend not to skip your breakfast to help you body to function normally.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scrimping on food is not a good idea for me because I have issues with my stomach. I get dizzy when I am hungry and being hungry for more than an hour would really make me sick. I had a colleague who takes an early lunch at around 10:30 am. When I asked him why so, he answered that he was trying to save money for his wedding. Instead of eating breakfast and lunch, he eats brunch. And he said that his stomach was already used to that habit of skipping breakfast in lieu of brunch.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I used to think it is okay to skip breakfast when I was young, as I didn't really take breakfast. But when I got older, only I realized the importance of having breakfast, and we can actually skip the dinner. Now, we choose to spend not so much on breakfast, but still have breakfast, and have very light dinner. We have our lunch as the mail meal of the day.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about buying cheap breakfast like low sugar cereals or oatmeal on sale. A big box of 42 oz. of oatmeal goes on sale for just 3.50 and a box of cereal on sale a 10 oz. box is just 2.50. Locally we have to put our cereal in our Folger's container when the coffee is all gone I use the plastic containers for cereal and other things. I buy on sale breakfast things like my cold and hot cereal to have breakfast for the lean time of the month. Breakfast is essential for a good healthy body, so I believe it's best to get at least a cereal in you to get the day started. Breakfast bars goes on sale too, so these are nutritional as well as grab and go.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would only do this in a very extreme situation because skip a meal is a bad decision. The best thing to do (before making such a decision) would be to split the value of lunch or dinner into two.

11. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you that breakfast is the most important food that our body needs. In fact this is the food we take after taking long hours of sleep. That is why it is called breakfast (breaking a long fast). This is the most important food for our brain so it is better not to skip it at any cost. It is found that people who take nutritious breakfast get very high IQ levels.

Breakfast need not to be costly all the times. We need to focus more on nutritious fiber rich foods like fruits and whole grains. Local seasonal foods and fruits are not always very costly.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather eat small meals spread throughout the day than skip an important meal like breakfast. Breakfast doesn't have to be costly. You can have oatmeal, bread, crackers, or fruits if you're really trying to save. You can also eat leftover or set aside a portion of your dinner to be eaten in the morning. What's important is for the body to get the nourishment it needs at the proper time. I eat breakfast even when I don't feel like eating because I know that my body will be starving if I don't.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It pains me a lot to hear that people have to skip meals because of hardship, it's not that I am better as I have experienced that and have learned to manage within the available resources. This could be very harmful to the body, there is the risk of developing stomach ulcer, migraine and others due to starvation. Instead of skipping meal why not spread the available food bit by bit to serve the three times a day.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don"t think it's worth it for me as I would feel too weak and sick throughout the entire day. I would probably opt for cheaper lunch and dinner choices instead of skipping any. There are so many cheap food choices one can make themselves. One time we were so low on money that we had to eat eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in different styles though.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Breakfast is the one meal I would not miss as I know I would feel weak half way through the morning. I will always have either porridge or toast and honey at 6 am and I'm usually hungry again by 10 am.

My granddaughter is not big on breakfast but I found some cereal type drinks made by Weetabix that she likes so at least she is getting some nourishment before she goes to school.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's not good to skip the breakfast during the morning. I have seen some of the people having health issue if they do that. I think each to their own. Not all the people can adjust with the breakfast. But some people need it for the rest of the day's health. I think this needs to be understood that it's not meant for all. So breakfast and moderate lunch should be in our list. That way having decent breakfast definitely helps.

17. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It is better to skip a lunch or dinner if someone is out of cash for a while. Jumping of breakfast might eventually push us to greater expenses bringing further health hazards. Breakfast is the principal meal of a day, and is pretty essential for our health system. There's a tendency among people to ignore this principal meal even in regular scenario. If someone remains fill in the morning, this actually helps us to lower our intake during rest of the day.

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Skipping breakfast is never healthy but we can't avoid to do it since we work at night and sleep during the day so most likely it's lunchtime when we woke up. If you intentionally skip breakfast just to save money then it's not really good since most if not all people know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So if you're an early bird, make sure to have your breakfast before starting your day no matter how busy you are :)

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I usually skip breakfast, not to save money but because I usually am never that hungry in the morning. I tend to only have a cup of juice. I will gladly take an apple or biscuit for breakfast just to give me that boost. That being said, if I am struggling with money then I wouldn't mind skipping breakfast every now and again to save up.

20. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I normally only eat two meals a day for financial reasons. Nonetheless, it isn't a big deal and the missing meal doesn't have to be breakfast. In fact, it never is. Instead, it's often dinner.

@Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail Right, if you're going to miss a meal, breakfast might not be a good choice.

#20Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017