No First Birthday Party?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Missfireflower • May 29, 2015.

1. Missfireflower

MissfireflowerNew Member

Threads:
    I'm on my last baby and I really want his first birthday to be special, but I don't want to overdue it. I thought Instead of having a party, we'd hire a photographer to do a cake smash photo shoot and call it a day.

With my first son we went all out- a big cake, a fantasy venue, custom clothing. It was huge and expensive and unnecessary. The camera with the photos ended up getting stolen. I feel it was money wasted.

I'm thinking this time we'll just take pictures, eat some cake and call it a day. Thoughts?

2. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I have two children and for my first born we had a first birthday party which went well but afterwards we only had the photos to show for it. For my youngest we just had a photo shoot to commemorate the event and that was it. Now my children have grown up, they have never asked about their first birthday. They remember other birthdays when they were older and we did something different.
    So I agree with you just having photos is fine. The party etc is not needed and your children will certainly not worry about it in the future.

3. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with not having a party for their first birthday but I would be a little worried about what they might think when they are a little older and realize their siblings had a big event for their first birthday and they didn't. I do love the idea of a cake smash photo shoot though, the kids have so much fun doing it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Personally, I see the first birthday of children to be more for the parents rather than the child itself because they won't remember it anyway, and that's why I say you should do what you want with it. If you feel bad about skimping on the celebration, then just try and keep track of the money you save and splurge it at a time when the child can really feel the effect and actually remember it. I myself have been saving most of my money for when the children of my family are older and I plan on using the money on something bigger and better when they are teens instead of splurging it all at a time that they probably won't remember anyway.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a few other people have already stated, many parents will overlook the first birthday of a child 9 especially if they do not have the finances to throw a party or purchase presents - because it is not as if the child is going to remember the party, be able to enjoy it, or grasp the significance of what is actually happening. Richer parents, I find, tend to still go all out. But every day people tend not to in my experience. It is a party or celebration for the parents.

6. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a big birthday party ever in my life. I've never wanted to be like a snob or make it seem way too rich because I just love it way too simple with just a cake and family eating it and enjoying it. I love a small gift whether it's just simple money or something way too simple. My girlfriend spoils me a lot though, I love her but I want everyone to be okay rather than spend a lot of money on my birthday.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think it's a special time and only happens once. I have my 1st birthday pictures and all my cards and even though I don't know any of the people in the photo now, it's still something I am glad I can look at and show others.

It's not for you, but for the child's memory later on. If I didn't have the photos I'm not sure how I would feel.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think that's totally up to you.

I'm not sure I would bother hiring a photographer for the cake smashing, though. For me, I'd rather take the natural photos myself and enjoy the day. I would probably compromise somewhere in the middle and have a few close friends or just the family there to have some cake and then move on instead of huge party.