No more hamburger

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sbg101 • Oct 12, 2013.

1. sbg101

sbg101New Member

Threads:
    On one of the rare trips we make to visit family in the Mid-west, one of my brothers taught my wife and me a way to save money that we couldn’t wait to implement once we got back home again.

Grinding our own meat is something that we probably would not have tried had my brother and sister-in-law not insisted on how much savings could be had with just a little bit of effort and planning. The term “saving money” has pretty much the same attention-getting effect on us that an electric can opener does with a cat.

It was interesting to watch their preferred way of preparing the meat for the KitchenAid mixer with the grinder attachment in place and using it to prep for that night’s meal of homemade tacos for a rather large group. The amount that they claimed they saved by making their own hamburger was almost too good to be true and we couldn’t wait to try it ourselves.

Watching the local grocery sales fliers, we noticed a pattern for certain meats going on sale. Every six weeks, London Broil was marked down in a bulk “family pack”. So we’ll stock up over the course of two to three days of the sale and then spend 1 ½ to 2 hours grinding and separating into 1 pound freezer bags for storage. Since it’s all done at once, there’s only one clean up and our mixer is put away until the next time.

The savings are real! The last time we looked at the price for packaged hamburger, it was difficult not to high-five each other right there in the store because, since 2008, we pay a lot less for much leaner meat that tastes a lot better than the packaged stuff. London Broil can even make Hamburger Helper taste wonderful.

Try it for yourself and see (and enjoy) the tasty savings! :D

2. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    You know I often look for sales on meat, but I never thought of grinding my own. With you vouching for the taste and savings, I have to look into a grinder and give it a try.

3. sbg101

sbg101New Member

Threads:
    Good, I hope you do!

It can be somewhat frustrating to encourage other family members, friends and co-workers to do the same, only to find out they prefer to get the fattier and higher priced package. It really doesn't take that much effort. We so wanted some friends (FIVE kids at home!) to enjoy the benefits of this that we bought them a KitchenAid mixer and the grinder attachment. Nope. They do put it to use for many other things, but still "opt-out" of the savings. smh...

When 80% lean hamburger was going for nearly $3.00/pound in our area, we were enjoying a leaner and much tastier London Broil that we had gotten on sale for $1.99/pound. That certainly qualifies as a decent savings, doesn't it?

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    One of my aunts used to do that, and you could definitely taste the difference, there was a lot more flavor in those hamburgers because of how they were homemade. But still, fast food hamburgers bring me some type of nostalgia that is good to revisit from time to time.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's easy to make your own hamburgers and it will save you money. Pre-made burgers you buy at the supermarket obviously cost more than buying the beef yourself and making the patty at home because the manufacturer is doing the work for you and that costs money. Buy some 80/20 beef (20% fat) and make your own, it's fun!

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've picked up on this tip as well from watching so many food shows, and I do it for other meat and poultry products too, as the butchering contributes a lot to the end price especially when you look at it at an annual cummulative standpoint. It's a lot better to buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself, as well as buying a whole strip of steak and cutting it into individual portions.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The reason they want the fattier stuff is because fat equals flavor. When you look at a really good meat - like say Kobe - what is pointed out is the marbling i.e. the fat within it because fat just makes it taste better once the cooking has finished.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does save you alot of money to do it your self. I do my own skinless boneless breast of chicken because I save money and it does not take that long. I also don't understand why people spend so much money on instant oatmeal when oatmeal cooks quickly with hot water. More ways to save money.

9. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried doing it, and never thought of it either. I think it's a very good idea. Maybe I will give it a try to.

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    For the same reason people go for BOGO deals that aren't actually deals - people are apparently hardwired to go for certain concepts without very much thought.