No More Rodent/bug Exterminators...seal Holes Yourself

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hades_leae • Jul 28, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    When I bought my first apartment, I had lots of roach problems, and saw a rat every now and then. I told the rent office, and they sent people to come and spray every where. I noticed that this did not fix the problem.

One day I was taking a bath and looked at the edges of the tub. I wanted to know what the sealant was that they used on the edges. I went to Home Depot and found out it was Caulk. I bought a lot, and other things as well to try. I told myself that I shouldn't just spray to get the bugs to die, I want them permanently gone.

I sealed every single corner/edge that I could find in my kitchen, bathroom, closet, bedroom, etc. It was a lot, but for someone who owns a house, this is ideal because you will be there for years.

Just seal up those edges with some sealant and you won't have to worry about spraying a new batch of bugs because they won't get threw sealant. No need to pay full for an exterminator monthly, or bi-monthly.

2. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Good advice and someone might want to buy some type of mesh to keep rodents out. Hardware cloth can be put up to keep rodents from getting through many openings in your home. Especially great for keeping them from getting into an attic.

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Seems like I will be trying some new tricks soon, it's such a nice advice coming from you, I will definitely share this with my friends and see what they can figure out, I will probably put it into practice soon because I have been having some bug problems with the livingroom's couch so yes, it will probably be helpful, thank you!

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is also the issue of rodents who had invaded my house. They had looked for weak areas in the soil to dig deep holes which went into the house. Here, they procreated resulting in constant harassment by giant rats at night. Sealing the holes after killing the rodents by directing hot water into the holes solved the problem.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our home was infested with rats when we first made an ocular. This was a 20-year old house that we bought via a bank loan. After 2 weeks of some needed repairs and eradication of pests particularly rats, mice and cockroaches, we moved in. But then rats still came and they even penetrate the ceiling. A neighbor suggested a professional pest control company that would charge us $300. We had a lot of thinking. My husband called a trusted carpenter and had the whole house checked. Yeah, he found holes that he patched with plywood.

That solved the problem except that one or 2 rats were trapped in the ceiling. And when the rats died, there was that pungent odor in the living room. We had to call the carpenter again to remove the dead rats. But in fairness, think of how much we have saved instead of hiring the pest control company.