No refunds policy

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Dora M • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A while ago I bought a pair of new boots. It was late in the evening and my feet were slightly swollen from the heat, which I didn't realise at the time. Next morning when I tried my new boots on, I noticed that they were a size too big, so I decided to take them back straight away. I had not worn them and only owned them for less than a day, yet the store refused to take them back. They said they could only exchange them but that it would have to be a different style of boots as I had bought a last pair. I was open minded and had a look at what they had on offer but nothing took my fancy. So I said I will wait until they order in a smaller size pair for me, yet they told me that they couldn't do that. I started to get really angry with their attitude and informed them that it is against the law to refuse a refund. To which they replied that they don't mind if I took it further and sue them. But to take them to court over a $190 pair of boots seemed ridiculous to me, especially considering the time and legal costs. So I just left with my big boots, after telling them exactly what I think about their policy and their store.
    Have you ever come across a situation where you didn't get a refund or exchange for an item that you purchased?

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of a company doing that. Since it was just over night, I am assuming you still had the receipt? Can I ask what store this was, was it a chain store or a little privately owned shop? That is a ridiculous policy and you would think that customer service would be a top priority. You should ask if you can speak to the manager or the owner of the store.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my country that is illegal, unless you have wore them. If they are as good as new you have 15 days to have your money back or 30 days to change them for another number or product of equivalent value. That's the law, the stores don't make the law.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Unfortunately, in-store exchange policies are fairly normal. Instead of refunding, they insist you use the same money in-store. They should've at least offered you a gift card for the same amount or something that you could use later on instead of being forced to decide right then. I'm sorry you had to deal with that frustrating situation. :(

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since they're only one size too big, maybe you can wear thick socks or put some Dr. Scholl's insoles in. Their attitude stinks and their customer service was atrocious, but if you're stuck with the boots and they're only one size too big, you could still make them work. I've sold brand new shoes that didn't suit me on eBay, but I took a loss on them and only made half of what I paid for them, so I wouldn't recommend that for an expensive pair of boots.

6. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    At Christmas I had gotten a pair of jeans for my son. They turned out to be just a little bit too small so I wanted to take them and do an exact exchange, except for a pair that was one size larger. They told me that wasn't possible and gave me a gift card for less than I paid for the pair of jeans. It really made me mad because there was no reason that they couldn't do a like exchange when they had the bigger size jeans in stock.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I was being nitpicky with a cd that I bought many years ago, since I heard a weird crumpling sound on the cd. The saleslady listened to it but refused my request, she said that it was part of the recording. Then I realized maybe she was right, but I still have to listen to another cd to confirm that.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they were bluffing telling you to go ahead and sue. Don't you have a state department that helps with customer rights? In Brazil we have one called PROCON where you can take stuff like this and they'll contact the store and give them warning to take care of it. For example, I returned some shoes to an online store and 3 months later they hadn't refunded me yet, so I got in touch with this department, sent them all the info, invoice and proof of payment and return, and they contacted the store. 15 days later I received my refund!

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I had the receipt. It was a small independent shoe store. Since about a year now it is not uncommon for certain shops here in Australia to refuse refunds. I keep hearing about it from other people and on consumer shows on TV. I did speak to the manager at the time, and she was the one who told me that I could take the matter to court if I wanted to. My own policy now is to ask in every shop I go whether they will give a refund if necessary. It may sound ridiculous to you, but if I make a big purchase, I ask for it in writing.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you. That's exactly what I did. I bought some insoles and now always wear socks. They are still a little big as the leather stretched out, but that's alright. I didn't think of reselling them as I really needed the boots urgently. I am now ever so careful when I buy something new.