No shampoo also known as "no poo"

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hellotina • Aug 24, 2012.

1. hellotina

hellotinaNew Member

Threads:
    Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has joined the no shampoo club? I am almost at 3 weeks without shampoo and my hair is looking and feeling amazing. I can feel the volume building slowly but surely! It's fantastic. :D

Okay, I know that if you have never heard of this trend, you are currently thinking, "how disgusting". Trust me, I thought the same thing until a friend of mine I haven't seen in a couple years showed up with her incredible hair. I had to hop on the train.

Many people use the baking soda + water and Apple cider vinegar route or others swore of shampoo and conditioner all together. I gave up the shampoo completely, but I still use conditioner. I'm beginning to ween myself off the tremendous amounts of conditioner I use to use. So that, eventually, all I will need is a dab. I use to have so much trouble combing my hair but not anymore! No more stripping away my natural oils and leaving me with dry hair and scalp!

Tell me about your journey, I want to learn more.

2. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Really?

I might give this a try, but honestly my shampoo is the only thing that can keep my hair soft and silky as it is. I know that's weird coming from a guy, but I don't like the feel of rough hair. However, you're saying that I can get results from no poo methods, and that's intriguing.

3. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    It's also called CO (conditioner only). I've read about this a couple years ago. Honestly, I do want to try this, but am too afraid of my hair looking greasy. Tell me...you do put it on your scalp, right? Otherwise, how does the top of your hair get clean?

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Well, I must admit that I tried using natural products but I have come to the conclusion that they suck. The more chemicals in the products...the better. It warms one up too. So, I did give it a try but I truly think that one should use shampoo on one's hair...and a really great quality one too. One should spend money and time on oneself, for sure! I choose one with a beautiful fragrance...

5. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I went "no poo" for a few months, but it left my hair looking greasy and weighed down. I was really trying to make it work by using different ratios of baking soda and vinegar. I tried washing my hair less, washing my hair more, leaving it naturally curly, straightening it, etc. While the commercial shampoos are effective at getting the dirt out and making the hair feel soft, I really dislike all of the chemicals in them. That is great that "no poo" is working for you, hellotina. Can you share specifics on your regimen? I may give it another attempt.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could go no poo. I've heard people rave about it, but I don't think it's for me, at least not right now. I have to shampoo at least every few weeks or else my hair will get super oily and gross. I did get into mixing it up with CO briefly. Meaning I would wash my hair every few days with conditioner and every few weeks with shampoo. That worked out well, I think, but I can't get rid of shampoo all together.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It's an interesting bet in the care of our hair. I wouldn't dare to do that test, as my hair is quite greasy. I wash it every day with water, but only use shampoo only three times in a week. We know that the daily use of shampoo is harmful in the long term and can have some adverse effects on the roots or irritate the scalp. I don't use a lot of conditioner because it leaves my hair a little "heavy". I believe every person has a particular combination of these products, it depends mainly on the type of hair that everyone has.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I just minimize how much shampooing/conditioning I do. Be warned.... because our scalp gets so used to having those oils stripped, when you first start going without shampoo, your hair WILL BE greasier. It takes a few weeks for it to back off its own oil production and start looking amazing.

9. hobbies360

hobbies360New Member

Threads:
    I have been doing a pre poo and no poo for about two years. The pre poo is preparing hair prior to shampoo by doing a pre deep conditioner treatment with different oils, butters, or conditioners of choice. This is said to protect hair from being stripped by cleansing agents of shampoo. I then follow up with a clarifying shampoo once per month to remove build up and I sometimes use a moisture shampoo if needed. I only wash one or twice a month if needed.

Most of the time I wear braids so I opt for an apple cider vinegar rinse and a leave in conditioner. When I want to refresh or remove light build up I use a deep conditioner under my hair steamer and just rinse with cold water.

No poo method is not for everyone, but I have seen a difference. My hair shiny and has more bounce, not to mention I save money because I am not constantly buying and trying new shampoos.

10. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you are talking about except I'm used to the term "co-washing" or conditioner washing. I still have to shampoo at least 2x month because the build up on the scalp just won't go away for me without a good shampoo. I try to use sulfate free shampoo because it's better for the hair.

11. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I wash with conditioner only as well. The reason why I don't use shampoo is because the sulfates in it are very drying. I have curly hair so I need all the moisture I can get. My curls look much better when I avoid sulfates. I also avoid conditioners with silicones in them because those build up if not washed out regularly.

I know Wen has a system for conditioner washing but it's expensive and I hear the products are full of silicones too. I would like to try the no-poo products from DevaCurl and other companies but again- very pricey stuff. I'll have to look out for sales at Ulta.

12. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I tried using vinegar in my hair because I read that it's good for getting rid of dandruff, but it made my hair hard. I am trying to ween myself off of the sulfate shampoos since they are said to strip the hair too much. However, I need a good lather to feel like my hair is clean. So, my sulfate-free shampoo still lathers and actually lathers better than the ones with sulfate.

13. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I am also trying not to use any commercial shampoos. My mom brings me soap made of olive oil which is handmade and that makes my hair feel very soft. I have not heard of baking soda + water and apple cider vinegar method, but now I will look into it. Commercial shampoos dry out my scalp and dandruff shampoo is bad for the scalp, so thanks for this alternative.