No shampoo movement

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by jleadbet • Feb 15, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, is your hair brown or black? My friend uses henna and her hair is gorgeous! I don't think it would work for me though; when I was younger I had black hairs, brown ones, and a few gold. Now it seems to be mostly black with lots of white mixed in down the middle. The graying is now starting to spread out on the sides, and while it doesn't bother me, I have been thinking of doing something different with my hair.

In the past I haven't been crazy about having it a different color, but that's about the most drastic thing I am willing to do to it. I don't want to use commercial dye so I have been contemplating trying coffee. Check out this link:

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Very interesting to know. I have always used vinegar and baking soda for different cleaning chores, but I did not know you could use this for your hair as well. I am going to give it a try too. My hair is very dry and damaged so I am looking for ways of making it healthier and soft as well as shinny! Thanks for the tip!!

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It was a dyed-black one that I used and man, was that a bad idea. (I didn't realize I had gotten the wrong thing until after.) I've heard good things about Dudu Osun, but I've never tried it. Another good one is Dr Woods, which is a lot like Dr Bonner, except that Dr Bonner doesn't carry black soap.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have dark brown hair, almost black. I have tried the coffee thing with henna.. it makes my hair rough and dry. I don't like it one bit. I might try the coffee with conditioner. I have been trying to get myself some argon oil.. but to no avail. the shipping cost are really high. I love the castor oil hot oil massage, it works for me.
    I wish I could use something natural.. but I can't find the right product for my hair.

5. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    I suffer from chronic hives and am allergic to so many things. I haven't washed my hair with shampoo or anything else since July last year. At first it felt and looked awful (greasy and lifeless) but now nobody except my hairdresser would even know. I do massage my scalp in the shower everyday and have it cut short to keep it's shape. I have sometimes massaged a beaten egg through my hair to give it some shine but even eggs give me hives so I don't do it very often. If you do try an egg, make sure the rinsing water isn't too warm otherwise the egg will cook in your hair and that won't be so easy to remove!
    I do still really miss lathering up with shampoo though and can't wait to color my hair again if these pesky hives ever go away for good!!

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    How long did it take for your hair to go back to normal from being greasy and lifeless?

7. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    A few weeks but I found that some days it looked worse than others. I do find that getting it cut every 5-6 weeks keeps it looking better. I am lucky to have a natural wave in my hair so it doesn't need styling at all. It's very humid where I live so I don't know if that makes a difference to it not drying out. My hair definitely doesn't have a shine that shampoo and conditioner gives it but then is that just the build up of product on the hair?

8. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Already used to shampoos, so it may be difficult to give it up. Although vinegar and baking soda is good for hair, just cannot stand the smell.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    About a year ago I tried washing my hair with baking soda but it just did not appeal to me. It made my hair look good but it was not a pleasant experience washing my hair. Someone then told me to use castille soap but I have not given that a try as yet. Still shampoo for me, thank you.:eek:

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I know most people don't want harsh chemicals such as keratin in their shampoo but I honestly never heard of not washing your hair the traditional way anymore. I would honestly be concerned with the smell that my hair would have afterwards.
    This seems like something I would try if I was taking a vacation and to going outside!Haha.
    Thanks for the idea though, it's something that is definitely intriguing me.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not just the harsh chemicals which infiltrate the blood stream and cause damage. Shampoo also strips the natural oil from your hair, hence why you need moisturiser. Greasy and dry hair is the cycle created by shampoo.

12. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    My hair always gets super frizzy and strawlike when I don't use shampoo.is that normal?

I think it's pretty normal. My hair hates soap - it gets dull and frizzy and gummy-feeling. (but I didn't follow it up with an acid rinse; didn't know about that back then)

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    If you use some kind of natural fatty treatment in place of a conditioner (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, mayonnaise, etc), it will restore the shine without giving you product buildup issues. I have super ultra curly hair, so I couldn't live without some kind of conditioning treatment. I use mayonnaise and coconut oil (or sometimes regular conditioner and coconut oil) and let it sit in my hair with a shower cap for about an hour and then rinse it out with apple cider vinegar. It makes all the difference not just for shine, but also for controlling frizziness.

14. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like you need to try a bit more conditioner. Leave it sit for about five minutes before rinsing it out, too.

15. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    I would love to still use shampoo but didn't really get a choice coz I just break out in hives. I've spent a fortune on different shampoos and just gave up in the end

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Keratin is not a harsh chemical; it's the protein that hair is made of. It's just that some "keratin treatments" also contain formaldehyde and other nasty things like that.

17. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I do use apple cider vinegar as a rinse once a week. It really does help clarify your hair and add a nice shine. However, I don't think I would switch over entirely. Between coupons and sales, I find good quality shampoos that fit my budget regardless.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use baking soda once in a while and I almost always use organic apple cider vinegar to rinse. I'm also a shampoo user.. not everything unnatural is evil, lol. If you have hair issues, look at your scalp. If you have scalp issues, look at your diet. Unless you're allergic to something in the products of course, which is the case for many people, including myself. But when I clean up my diet, I have no reactions to anything. Almost everything can be traced to something we're ingesting (or not ingesting).