Noise Cancelling/isolating Headphones?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by JosieP • Dec 1, 2015.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in desperate need of something that cancels out talking. I know nothing will do it completely, but I need THE best VOICE cancelling headphones lol. I don't do buds, so that's a no-go for me.. but if anyone has some good head gear, please review here!

I've tried a few and while they cut out sound very effectively, talking is somehow amplified. I can't concentrate, someone help!!! lol.

2. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Are you looking for headphones to listen to music with? Or just headphones that have no other function whatsoever? LOL. I don't think I've ever seen someone just wearing headphones that weren't attached to a phone, laptop or music player. If you're looking for good music headphones, I can maybe help you out. But I know nothing about headphones strictly for the purpose of blocking out sound.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot to clarify! haha sorry. Both. I do need them for music/movies etc, but there are people that use them for the purpose of cancelling out sound as well. Rather than buying two pairs for different purposes (muffs and headphones), I was hoping to get some reviews on the best ones that muffle out talking, regardless of purpose. My son has a great pair that I can barely hear anyone when they're not in use (none will drown it out completely, I know), so a great all around headset, but I don't want to spend a zillion dollars. Open to higher prices considering the issue not having them is causing, but not a zillion dollars lol.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread happened to remind that I too also need noise canceling headphones because I hate listening to boring conversations and as I almost always have guests staying with me these days they would be the answer to my problems.

I've been looking around and found something which I believe might interest you. The headphones are quite pricey costing upwards of $200.

The reviews are here:

The Bose QuietComfort 20 is a giant leap forward for noise cancellation earphones, and easily the most effective pair we have tested thus far.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Try Pioneer headphones. I had a pair a long time ago. It cancelled out everything but what you're plugged into with your headphones. You can hear the songs so clearly with no outside sound at all. Pioneer is great, but pricey.

6. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    Lately I've bought some JVC headphones for just 45$, and they are surprisingly good. Noise is barely noticed with them, and the bass and low tones are very powerful, and this even isolates you more.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard that Sony headphones are great and are reasonably priced. I'm sorry I don't have the exact model number though but from the review I saw I remember it was a wireless Blutooth headphone set that was fairly current. I saw it on a video that was recommending devices for students so I'm assuming it couldn't be that expensive, and Sony is sort of known for their audio devices so I'm inclined to believe the review. Also it seems like the headphones are very portable as they can fold flat when needed to be put into a bag.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you everyone, I will definitely be looking into these suggestions :)

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a shame you can't do the earbuds, because I've found them the most effective at cancelling out extraneous noises. In particular, I like the hollow rubber bulb attachments, since they don't put much pressure on my ear canal and they form a nice tight seal which is really effective in blocking out other sounds.

The big puffy headphones which cover your whole ear tend to give me headaches because of the pressure from them pressing against my ears. I have a larger sized head, so they don't fit very well in most cases.

I did have a set of Philip's noise cancelling earbuds a few years ago, but didn't like them at all since they required a small battery pack which hung from the cord, which in turn weighed it down and put more pressure on my ears. Plus, for the hassle, they didn't really cancel noise that well and their overall sound quality wasn't great either.

My favorite earphones to date, though they are not cheap by any means, are the Shure brand earbuds. I usually go for their mid range (price wise) earbuds, which run around $200-$250. Though not cheap, the sound quality on them is absolutely phenomenal - you can hear every subtle nuance in songs crystal clear. Plus they come with a whole set of different style ear bud attachments from foam to rubber, to molded silicon - to fit just about anyone's ears.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't seem to get over the gross out factor lol.. I just find them so dirty. I'd use them once and not want to put them back in without sterilizing them lol. But you're right, the over the ear headphones are a pain.. I haven't found many to fit nicely and the comfier ones don't seal well enough to keep external noises out. My son has an awesome pair, but I can't justify the cost since it's not THAT important. For him, it was a good investment. I've been thinking I have to give the buds a try again.. I do remember I could never keep them in my ears before though, so hopefully that isn't an issue anymore..