Non-reader Becoming Reader Through Auidobooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Dame6089 • Jun 4, 2016.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I am a person who does not really enjoy reading books at all. I will read articles, but getting through an entire book is a monumental task for me and it is not due to a lack of intelligence. I just simply cannot stay focused enough and often wonder what else I could be spending my time on. I have been thinking about trying out Audiobooks and wonder if any other non-readers like myself have been converted through them. I know I can just use a free trial through Audible.com, but I'm curious of others' experiences.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I am the opposite so I don't know if my opinion counts. I am very much a bookworm and I love reading books. I've tried audio books before but somehow, it doesn't satisfy me as much as paper or traditional books. I enjoy flipping through the pages and anticipating what will happen next. When you listen to audio books, everything is done for you. You don't need to flip the pages or even use different voices for the characters.

I can even remember one time when I fell asleep while listening to an audio book. I wasn't even able to remember at what part I fell asleep. And for me, audio books just aren't good enough for my personality. I can see why busy people love it though. Like you said, you're the kind of person who thinks what else can you do instead of reading a book so audio books might be perfect for you.

I love getting lost in pages of books though so maybe that's why audio books aren't for me. Give it a try though, maybe it can convert you to become a reader. Good luck!

3. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    The main reason I am interested in audiobooks is that I feel I am missing out on a lot of knowledge and great stories because I don't enjoy reading. With and audiobook, I can do the dishes or make dinner, while listening, which is something that can't be done while reading a regular book. I am a big fan of podcasts, so I think audiobooks will be a great idea for me. I will update you after my first one!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a huge reader myself and but I can sit through a book once in a while if I find it interesting enough although it is very seldom, and I do find it very helpful to just listen to audio books a lot of the time. Sometimes I play it when I'm driving or sometimes I even just listen to it while I play a mobile game. For me that's a great way to be more productive with downtime. Although I'd say that the experience is slightly different as reading is still somehow a little more powerful for me, but maybe that's just me.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    OOOOO I love listening to books. I got hooked when I would drive several hours to see family. I would pop in an audio book to listen to while on my way. Now, I like to listen to books at home. It seems to leave my brain free to imagine the events like a movie in my mind.

6. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    There’s only one way to find out and that is you should try it yourself. Just because it works for some people doesn’t necessarily mean that it will work for you as well. Personally, I prefer reading a book over listening to an audio version of it. It’s so easy to get lost in the story if you’re listening to it instead of reading it. But that’s just me.

7. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I'm a bookworm myself, and I tried to convince a lot of friends to start reading with little to no results since their main problem is the loss of focus after a few pages - theri mind starts wandering off and they lose focus. However with audiobooks they don't need to actually read, but just to listen, so staying focused on the story is easier.

That's a good point. You can listen to audiobooks while doing monotonous, repetitive task that require little attention to what you are doing - like washing dishes or folding your clothes or cleaning your house - so they feel less boring. Two birds with one stone!

8. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    I love audio books for the reason that I can continue with my reading even while doing other things like driving, chores and so on. I read a lot, about five or six books every week, and so any spare time that I have I pick up a book, and while I do my chores, I listen to audio books.