North Carolina: Gas or Electric

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by ValerieAnne • Jun 13, 2012.

1. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I am thinking of relocating to North Carolina at some point this year or early next year. I've noticed a lot of places are gas and forced air. Would this be more affordable than electric? I've never had anything but electric so I'm not sure. One of the reasons I haven't decided on when/where yet is because of this issue. I'm just not sure and I know the prices would be different there then here in Ohio. Also, which companies would have the best prices? Would it be better to find a company that provides both gas and electric services? The only provider I know in North Carolina is Duke, so any ideas on others would be helpful.

I guess the question is gas or electric though, and not specifically North Carolina.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the Pacific Northwest and the electricity is cheaper than gas right now. It has been this way for several years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I suppose you could contact the utility companies directly but you may get a better answer from a real estate agent from that area.

3. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I use electric so can't help ya there. However , I warn you it will be airconditioning and not heat that you will have to worry about. Winters are usualy short and mild. Its the summer heat that will get you.

4. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    Thank you both. The only company that I know of is Duke (so if anybody knows others I'd be happy to take suggestions). I know when I lived in an apartment (which would be about same square footage, etc) my electric bill was between 50-65$ a month. I didn't really use heat at all though since I lived on the 3rd floor and since heat rises, I didn't need it. I rarely used the AC except if I knew it would be too hot for the animals as I had ceiling fans otherwise. If I think about it, when I had the animals (which I had to give away) I'd turn the AC on if it was at 80 since the sun shined right in my apartment. Since I am living with my parents again, saving, we've only turned the AC on once so far and that was because it was about 100 degrees. We didn't even turn it on when it was in the 90s since it didn't feel bad.

#4Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Depends on how warm you want to have your home. I know for me the electric or gas would not matter because I like my home to be cool all the time. However, if you like your home really warm then it takes the electric heaters forever and my brother-in-law had a thousand dollar electric bill for his home last year because he wanted it to be at about 70 degrees.