Nothing To Wear

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by keytcee • May 18, 2015.

1. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I don't know why but recently I've been having problems with my clothes. I've been feeling like I don't have anything to wear even if I do have loads of nice clothes inside my closet. I try on some clothes only to feel like they aren't "right" for the day or for my body (even if I wore them loads of times before) and I end up trying on almost all of the clothes inside my closet (sometimes I even go to my mom's closet when I'm really desperate).

I don't know if this is just me wanting/needing to go shopping for new clothes or it's something a lot of people go through. Is it? Because honestly, I don't want to spend a single dime on clothes as of now because I'm lacking money.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds more psychological than anything, because maybe you don't feel so good about yourself for a reason. I have wardrobe fulls of designer clothes, but I'm not in the mood to wear them as right now I prefer comfy clothes as they may me feel better. They may not look so good on me, but the important thing is how they feel on me.

Try to find a comfortable t-shirt or top and then pair it with some favorite pants or leggings and then build from that.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, this may be a psychological thing. I’m going through a bit of it myself, in fact. I never used to have a problem dressing up for no reason, but something’s holding me back a bit lately. Could be the fact that I’m still recovering from an illness that really brought me down both physically and psychologically.

Anyway, sometimes it does help to force myself to look my best, but there are some days that it’s just too much effort. I actually wrote

a while back about what I do when this happens. It pretty much boils down to gathering some fairly basic items that strike a balance between looking good and feeling good, making sure they coordinate with each other, and remembering to wear a couple of things that make you smile (for me, those are the fancier choices).

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I also feel the same way sometimes. I would think as I open my closet, "Oh, no. I have got nothing to wear," but when you look inside my closet, you would see pile of clothes there. Yeah, I agree. It is just more of a psychological thing and the fear of wearing the same outfit again to a party.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe because you have worn all of them, so you feel the need to wear new ones. I think you got so tired of wearing the same designs, so I think if you acquire the money then go to a thrift store and buy yourself new clothes.

6. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I guess it does have to do with feeling good or bad about myself. There are days when I just want to give up dressing nicely because I feel nothing will look good on me so I have a bad mood all throughout the day.

I also have the tendency be really sad if ever I see an outfit or style I really like and I can't re-create it because of my lack of clothes or clothes in that style won't fit me. After feeling down, I'd feel like I'm wearing a potato sack whatever I may be wearing. I guess I should focus on being comfortable and feeling good about myself first. Thanks for this!

7. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    As I've mentioned in my previous reply, I also agree that it's psychological. But it's hard to not feel bad about myself at times when I dress up, you know? Not a lot of things will suit you or fit you and it just makes me want to give up on putting any effort at all.

I read your blog post and I found it to be really informative! I do agree that basic items that coordinate with each other would look amazing as well (because I have the tendency to think that printed/patterned clothes look more fabulous so I neglect my basic or plain clothes). I should also learn to choose clothes that'd look and feel comfortable. Thank you for this! This helped a lot :)

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think the thing that’s holding me back lately might be that I don’t quite feel like I deserve to dress up. Like maybe I’m just trying too hard if I do. Faking it ’til you make it is a piece of advice you often hear in such cases, but… easier said than done sometimes. So I totally understand that. And you’re very welcome, I’m glad I could help!

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think i know what you mean there, when I look in my wardrobe, I'm often thinking that the clothes I have are too "good" to wear for that particular day. I really need to get out of this pattern and start actually wearing them!

10. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    That is an understandable feeling that I get quite a lot, sometimes you might feel bigger or smaller and what you have is just not right. But try a few things on and see how you fare, something might surprise you?

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of good advice one good thought is it is a temproray situation. You will be back to your old self soon. In the mean time remember you dress to make yourself happy so if you feel like being comfortable wear only comfortable clothes. There also comes a time were you will want to change your style all together because you realize what you have does not really reflect how you feel about yourself. Select the pieces that are a good reflection of you and wear those pieces for now.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this happens to everybody sometimes. You're probably just in a rut and bored with some of your things. You probably are having a bit of a jones for shopping as well. I'd suggest trying to pair some of your items with different pieces than what you usually wear with them. Sometimes, you can be surprised by the "different" outfits you can come up with or how much fresher something looks when you wear it differently or wear it with something else.

13. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I go through this phase sometimes despite having an overflowing closet. What helps me is looking for inspiration from people who have a similar aesthetic. I usually look through pinterest and lookbook.nu. I'll usually find quite a few women who wear clothes similar to what I have, and I can use their pictures as inspiration.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This happens to me sometimes too, and if you are feeling the same way, it might just be because you have outgrown those types of clothes, both physically and mentally. I think it's alright to feel this way as it is natural and if you want to change it all without spending too much then just consider selling it all in bulk to someone else for a substantial amount of money and buying some new clothes with it. Even if you end up buying a lot less items with the small amount you get by selling, you can at least be more sure that you will get to use them since they are new purchases that go with your current lifestyle. In the end I think it's worth the trade off to have less new clothes that fit you well now rather than having lots to choose from but none of them appeal to you anymore.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea. I"m including an article about

that I found, which shows a bit about what I had in mind (be sure to scroll down). She shows a few different ideas for mixing and matching and wearing things in completely different ways. While some of it is not really my taste, I think it will help people get the idea. They can also check Pinterest and stuff like you mentioned. Then, all that's left to do is get creative and have fun with it.

16. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I'm experiencing this too sometimes. I don't feel confident in what I'm wearing because I feel like I've used it too many times already. I guess I reached my saturation point with my clothes. Haha! You said you lacked money, right? Why not try to sell your clothes? Then use the money to buy new ones? :) that way, you'll have a new set of clothes to boost your confidence and you get rid of clothes that you aren't comfortable in. Win-win!

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It's just you. Honestly, you already said that you have a lot of nice clothes in your closet. You should try to wear what you have, or just be contented with what you already have instead of wanting more. If you really want to shop for new clothes, donate your old clothes to those who need them.