Nut Allergy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SLTE • Sep 10, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like more and more people these days are either being born with, or developing, nut allergies. Three of my girlfriends have had allergies to nuts of varying kinds, one of which is allergic to every form of nut known to man. (Besides coconuts, I guess. They don't really count.) I have to make a lot of sacrifices to ensure that my current partner's food isn't contaminated, 'cause hers is rather severe, and allergic reactions get scary. On the plus side, though, I really get to know what's in all of the foods I buy, 'cause I have to read every package extra carefully.

Do you know anybody with a nut allergy, or any food allergy? What kind of special measures do you have to take to buy or prepare food that's okay for an allergy sufferer? Do you find it more or less expensive to put up with an allergy?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No I don't know of anyone that has any kind of allergy. It is very frustrating to be allergic to nuts for it's so good for you health wise. I feel sorry for you and your friends having such allergies. People have these days Epipen to count on just in case something happens to them with their allergies. Take care everyone. My Mother is allergic to Warfarin, but it's not a food it's a pharmaceutical drug, so it doesn't really count.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a shellfish allergy that causes me to break out in hives if I eat anything that’s even been touching the stuff. But that’s not as severe as some nut allergies. I can’t even imagine it; nuts are super difficult to avoid. (Plus I love them, but that’s beside the point.) At least it’s fairly easy for me to steer clear of shellfish. My soy sensitivity is slightly more of a hassle since that stuff is in EVERYTHING, but I can still eat it. Just have to be super careful about my intake.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People are more aware of allergies these days and it's not really expensive, but more about knowledge and reading the labels and asking the right questions if you are eating out. My parents have various allergies and they learn how to deal with them, because they are responsible. It's about taking responsibility and not expecting others to.

I remember on a plane once they announced a passenger had a nut allergy and warned no one to open anything with nuts on the plane. I have a feeling some people still did and the person didn't die.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes as I'm highly allergic to most nuts too - along with many other foods and a whole host of other things - I can definitely relate to the “ allergic reactions get scary “ - as almost everything I'm allergic to sends me into anaphylactic shock - which is not only scary for me but also for everyone around me at the time.

Whether or not the cost of having allergies is more or less expensive - is difficult one to answer - as I don't really have much of comparison - as I've suffered from allergies since the day I was born - but that said - as I'm extremely restricted in what I can eat and can only have totally natural foods - in my case its probably less expensive.

To be honest its more the inconvenience than the cost that bothers me and although its something that I'm extremely used to - it still is at times a little frustrating and somewhat time consuming and particularly the latter - mainly because - as I don't want my husband to have to sacrifice what he enjoys eating - it generally means having to make two totally separate meals or at least ones that can easily be adapted to accommodate the foods that he enjoys and therefore - as that not only means having twice the amount of pots, pans, utensils etc - as nothing I eat can come into contact with foods that I'm allergic too and also often involves having to wear gloves when handling some of those foods - preparing meals in my house - is not exactly simple or what you might call quick.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is it I never considered myself to have a nut allergy. There are times I eat certain nuts and I feel like it bothers my throat a little. Then there are times where I am perfectly fine and I'm thinking it is only because I get scratched.

7. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    You probably don't have an allergy, in that case, or if you do it must be incredibly minor. Typically full-on allergies to nuts result in some violent reactions, to the point that the sufferer can't breathe and immediately needs to go to the hospital, or at least needs an epipen injection. Even minor reactions can be dangerous if there's no way to treat them.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My son has a tree nut allergy. We ended taking him to get food testing when he was sick after he ate a pastry with pistachios in it. He immediately said his throat was burning. He later vomited until his eyes were blood shot. He carries and epipen now and we are careful with what he eats. Every few years he sees his allergist and get tested, his reactions to most tree nuts is coming down except for pistachios and cashews. I read ingredient labels carefully and let restaurants know he has a tree nut allergy. Restaurants are good and will use separate pots and pans. We've even had cooks/chefs come out and discuss his allergy so they can be careful not to cross contaminate his food. I keep our house nut free and all our friends know as well. He is very aware of his allergy and will ask if there are nuts in food that isn't prepared from home, especially desserts.