Nvidia or AMD?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Squigly • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Nvidia GPUs for my past few computers, and I really like their performance. The GeForce Experience program also can scan for any installed games on my computer, and automatically optimize graphics settings for it based on my rig, and performance feedback from other Nvidia users. I find this feature to be really convenient and useful for day-to-day gaming.

However, I have heard that AMD cards give better value for money. Can anyone affirm this? Would love to hear any reviews from AMD/ATI card users!

2. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I have never ever used an AMD card in my life. I won't say that I am a fan of Nvidia, but they are efficient and do their job without making much noise. AMD has upped its game in recent years though. It will be interesting to see these two giants compete.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    they say AMD products is much robust among any manufacturer and this is what i also believe. AMD processors are known to be great with heavy graphic games and the more it works well along a decnt graphic card. I find AMD card useful when I was tried to mine altcoins. just so you know this is cryptocurrency/digital money where you can buy real products online.

4. Saji

SajiNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is true that AMD cards are cheaper and provide a better cost to performance ratio. However, even AMD's flagship R9 M290X is horribly inefficent and can't even outperform Nvidia's GTX 860 (Nvidia's second most powerful GPU). AMD cards also have a higher failure rate and tend to get fried if they're overclocked. If I were you, I would always go for Nvidia. I speak from experience as I am the owner of Nvidia's GTX 880m GPU. This GPU is a beast!! :)

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people say that AMD cards are better but based on my experience, AMD cards a bit iffy when it comes to drivers unlike Nvidia cards. I've long since switched from AMD to Nvidia because of that and so far I think it's been fairing good lately. The only downside for me is that Nvidia cards are really expensive.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't beat AMD when it comes to dollar to performance ratio. You'll spend far more on a Nvidia GPU compared to a top of the line AMD GPU. Then again, even some basic Nvidia GPUs will blow AMD's best out of the water. Everyone knows that Nvidia produces the better graphics cards, but not everyone can afford them. Sometimes, you have to settle for what offers the best value, and that sometimes happens to be AMD. AMD will satisfy 90% of users anyways, though. Not everyone needs Ultra settings.

7. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    Nvidia all the way. It's the same case with Intel vs AMD for processors; AMD is less reliable and usually has a lower quality than Intel. Here, Nvidia releases quality drivers and is constantly updating their software that makes their products shine. Furthremore, Nvidia GFX cards are a lot more reliable (at least in my eyes). I've had my GTX 760 from MSI for around a year or so and it's still working perfectly. I did a lot of this research when I wanted to make my own build, so hopefully I can save some research time for you.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Nvidia. Sure they're pricier but you get what you paid for. I have a friend who owned an ATI GPU and he's always giving me crap about how it's hard to maintain which I don't get since I don't own one but when it comes to Nvidia the drivers are always there and every update has some improvement even if it's a low end GPU. I once owned a laptop with a GT520MX GPU which is classified as low end but it can run Skyrim and Black Flag at High settings on lower resolutions at a flawless 60FPS.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I have used both before and I have to admit, both have their flaws and quality. AMD in my opinion works best depending on what operating system it is processing for, because I have had little trouble with it for XP, but other window versions tend to cause it to overheat or malfunction over the course of three-quarters of a year in my experiences. Nvidia is similar as AMD, but it acts very wonky once it gets heated and starts causing processing lag. Nothing is perfect, but I have used my AMD for a bit now and it hasn't failed.