Oats For Breakfast Or As A Snack?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sidney • Apr 27, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually eat oats when I need fiber in my body, and just now I thought that oats can also be eaten as a breakfast meal or as a snack when you're hungry and on a budget. It's a cheap way to fill your stomach. What do you think? Do you eat oats or not? I usually mix chocolate powder and lots of sugar to make it taste better. How about you?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've been trying to incorporate steel oats into my day for a while now. Not as easy as it would seem. Especially because I rarely eat breakfast which is when I would enjoy them as is. I've been making a lot of bars for after a workout but running out of ideas fast.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you @sidney@sidney , no matter how healthy they are I don't like oats. I was forced to have them as a child going to school in winter and now I can't bear the sight of them. They are good for people with diabetes as it helps regulate their blood sugar levels and my mother eats them everyday.

She adds soy milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon to hers and it stops her havings cravings throughout the day.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too used to HATE oats with a passion because we were fed them A LOT when I was growing up . I hate the taste and the texture. But then they started improving the taste and making nice flavours in recent years. I really like the Quaker ones in the little pots that you pop in the microwave. I can have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are not like the regular oats I grew up on, these ones are DELICIOUS :)

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried overnight oats? This is where you take steel cut oats and combine with milk and put them in the fridge the night before, then eat them the next morning for breakfast as a cold cereal.

I top them with seasonal berries and honey and sometimes add chia seeds and it is my new favorite way to eat oatmeal. It makes it more like mueslix. The main thing is remembering to do it the night before.

You can use any kind of milk also - if you don't do dairy, almond or soy work fine. I actually prefer the taste of coconut milk in this because it adds sweetness.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oats for breakfast is a tradition in many countries with cold climates. A bowl of porridge or hot oatmeal cream sweetened with jam or fruit confiture is delicious. I prefer it with sesame butter and dates. But I don't eat oats often these days as I live in a hot, tropical region and oats feel too heavy for me.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I only have oats for breakfast, and even then it's rarely. I used to have oats as a snack in the day but it just wasn't pleasant. I don't care about my breakfast as much, but daytime snacks and to be savoury and enjoyable for me, oats just didn't meet my needs there.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to despise oats when I was very young and I was forced to eat them every morning. Much later on, I realized it was because I was eating flavored oats and I always found them far too sweet. I’ve never liked eating overly-sweet foods in the morning, despite having a sweet tooth at any other hour of the day.

Now I’ve gone back to eating oats for breakfast every morning. Unsweetened, with a mix of cinnamon, powdered ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, then topped with raisins and peanut butter, they’re perfect for me. Occasionally I’ll add unsweetened cocoa powder for a kick, or dark chocolate chips if I need a mood boost.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I live in a tropical Asian country, and oats as a breakfast is really not popular/traditional here. I prefer instant cup noodles in the morning.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @JoanMcWench@JoanMcWench, This is the 1st time that I've heard of steel oats. All along, I thought that Quaker Oats was the only kind of oats!

@Theo@Theo and @Lushlala@Lushlala, I don't know what is the kind of oats that you ate that you seemed traumatized by it, lol. I actually thought Quaker Oats was the only type of oats that were around. I guess there are a lot. I don't eat oats while they're hot though. I always put them in the ref first.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't really like oatmeal for the most part.

So the only time I end up eating oats are if I turn them into granola or granola bars.

12. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I was raised on pays too. I never hated them though, I have continued to eat them over the years. I like them as a hot cereal in the winter and as a cold cereal in the summer. I love granola too, and oatmeal raisin cookies.

13. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I think oats are very healthy, low in cost, and it keeps me full longer so that I don't eat too much later on. Yes I do eat oats for breakfast and sometimes I'll add a banana to it. Recently my fiance put some bacon in mine and another day it was sausage which I enjoyed.

14. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    Having oats for your breakfast can not only be really healthy, but also really filling and tasty. I love having a bowl of oats mixed with a bit of honey and bananas. One of the things that make them so good is their versatility, you can put in basically any flavour that you want on them, or add any topping you want. Fruits and nuts are the best choice I think because they are a lot healthier than artificial sweeteners and syrups.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always keep oats on hand. I'm going to look for a recipe so I can make some snack bars, because I think I'd be more likely to eat those during the day, rather than oats in a bowl. My favorite was always cream of wheat or cream of rice, but oats are cheaper, so I usually have them instead.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You always need fibre in your body.. but I prefer the watery veriety. I definitely don't start my day off with oats, as my body is still waking up and oats slow things down. My body needs time to wake up and nothing does that better than refreshing foods full of water and nutrients. I'd rather have oats for snacks or treats.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guys are giving me great ideas here. It never crossed my mind to put bananas in oats, considering we have bananas stocked at home. Adding oily foods like bacon and sausage to oats is quite interesting. I would like to see how that will turn out. I'm sure it will taste good.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe Sidney, you wouldn't have liked the ones I had. I don't know which ones Theo had, but mine tasted like cardboard and had this disgustingly slimy texture. I only ate them because we had to eat what we were given. You can still get them in stores, I've seen them being sold alongside the newer versions. They are very plain, nothing added. They've definitely refined the taste because even my mum was taken aback when she came to visit us in England. Her actual words were "these are too nice" LOL

I prefer mine warm, though :)

19. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite breakfast meal and snacks are oatmeal and banana cookies. :)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork until no longer lumpy. If bananas aren't very ripe, a hand mixer may be used. Stir in oil, oats and chocolate chips.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

For each cookie, spoon about 2 tablespoons of cookie mixture (or more depending on how big you want the cookie) onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

They are scrummy and hardly any calories!

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, What is the brand of oats that you ate? It didn't occur to you to put sugar and milk in it to make it taste better?