Obscure Smarthone & Tablet Brands

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 16, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Anyone here care to discuss some of your favored obscure phone brands? I'm talking about ones that are not Nokia, iPhone, Nexus, LG, etc. For example, there is this brand "Jolla" and to the best of my knowledge, it's a Linux based phone. Not that I want to buy it, though, I just find it interesting to see these less popular tech brands and their products.

jolla-website.

#1Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really paid attention to the obscure brands, because.. well, they are obscure for a reason. Especially all those cheap Android devices that don't even have GApps and no Market access.. I never understood who would buy that.

As for niche smartphones, they aren't really for me, I like having a wide library of applications available. :)

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah Aladar does have a point, are there really quality "obscure" smartphones out there? I know that Ainol is a quality brand for tablets, but for smartphones, I don't really know of any.

4. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    ZTE is a hit and miss. They have a few decent models that are great for the price, but you can probably get a Nexus 4/5 for a bit more and have tenfold the benefits. You can also find "fake" copies of popular models like the S4 on eBay that are sometimes decent for the price, but it's a gamble.

5. LALucien

LALucienNew Member

Threads:
    LOL, this is a funny thread.
    I used to work for Everything Everywhere in London for just over a year and left last year to start my own business (Life story - sorry).

While I was there we sold two main 'Obscure' brands which were 'ZTE' & 'Huwaei' (which none of us could pronounced, so we just called it Hawaii)

Customers generally come in looking for name brands like Samsung, Nokia & Blackberry (I Don't think I even need to mention the ones Designed in California!).

Because of this, our store manager would run in store prizes and scoreboards to see who could sell the most 'Obscure' handset brands because as soon as you show a customer that looks like its designed in California, does pretty much everything one of those handsets can do and maybe a lil more, plus its like 3x cheaper, they are like, 'yeah, that sounds great!' Then they ask what make it is and I say (as casually as pos of course) 'Oh, its a ZTE or a Hawaii', they are like, 'a what!? Nah I don't want it'!

Seriously 8/10 customers would rather take an inferior handset made by a bigger brand than take the 'Obscure' one which smashes the pants off the low end big brand phone.

People ay! SMH

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Huawei isn't an obscure manufacturer, they have been contracted to make one of the first value Android phones ever and been on the scene ever since.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, Huawei is more known as a USB modem and router manufacturer than a smartphone maker. My Huawei USB modem is a year old already, and it's still working perfectly fine, so I'd say that they make durable products.

8. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Huawei and being a computer scientist, that does indeed make it obscure. Perhaps you could recommend a good phone from them that is cheap and does everything the normal brands can do?

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a HP Touchpad tablet that HP stopped supporting shortly after it hit the market. There is nothing wrong with the tablet, it does not have as many bells and things but it works fine for my needs.

10. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I agree. Huawei makes very good phones too. I have used a Huawei before, which is quite good considering the build quality is no different from Samsung.

11. Muralangdito

MuralangditoNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's huawei. I didn't like it at first but well I can see lot's of people buying this

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I remembered reading about that phone a while back. The design has me confused because it looks awfully thick compared to the phones on the market currently. Is it supposed to have some sort of physical keyboard or something as well? It would take a lot to get me to switch to a whole new operating system. I would be more inclined to try phones from one of these companies if they were running Android instead or at least Windows Phone.

Firefox also has a mobile operating system in development and is rumored to be working on it's own phone too.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, that just makes you misinformed.