Offal

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Beast_Titan • Sep 15, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    In Asian countries, Some European countries and Latin American countries, Offal or organ meats have the same price or even more expensive than prime cuts of meat. In the US they are either thrown away, ground into dog food or sold for a cheap price.

I think some Americans needs to learn to eat offal because not only they are cheaper, they have some nutrition you won't get from regular cuts of meat. I get to buy some offals from the butcher and the prices are very affordable. There are many recipes online on how to cook them. I am currently loving tripe, liver and hearts.

In other countries offal meats are expensive delicacies. In the US they are very cheap.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    There are many delicacies that use what you call "offal" and I'm surprised to learn that they are priced cheaply in the US. In our place, for example, chicken liver is a bit more expensive than chicken meat itself. If you know how to cook it just right, you can create a variety of dishes around it beyond chicken liver pâté. I've been eating chicken liver on a regular basis since I was a teen because it is a natural source of folate and iron. I'm a heavy bleeder and my body rejects iron supplementation so I have to rely on natural foods. Beef is another good source of iron and so are beef organ meats.

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I love livers, they are very cheap in my area. Recently I had been buying Hearts, Tongues and tripe. Tongue tasted like regular meat cuts but more tender. I love tripes the most because they are the cheapest but they make a lot of tasty dishes. I get to see some recipe from Gordon Ramsey on how to make them more tasty.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, offal or beef entrails are cheaper than the plain meat. We have here street foods of roasted offal of different kinds. But I seldom eat those street foods because many doctors have said that beef entrails is the main cause of arthritis. Whether you believe it or not, it is better safe than sorry. For a cheaper meal, we buy the so called soup bones which can be boiled with green vegetables to serve as a nutritious meal.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    All meats can cause arthritis. There are offals though known for their health benefits like the tripe and the liver. Tripe is actually said to be the reason why Europeans have better lifespans than Americans because there is a nutrition in tripe that you wont get from the luxury cuts of meat and from veggies.