Offering gifts to the teachers

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Gelsemium • Jun 4, 2014.

1. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    My daughter still does this here in Ireland and she's in High School. She always gets her teachers a thank you card and a box of Roses at the end of the year. Also at Christmas she gets them a card and a big tub of chocolates.

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    High school is more unusual I think, but if your daughter feels comfortable with that and the teachers too I don't why not, after all is just a way to show our appreciation for someone and if the teachers are doing a good job (which unfortunately is becoming more rare these days) I feel that we should show them that.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    As a way of appreciating the efforts of teachers, I do give gifts to my kids' teachers but in the form of food items. Often, these are homemade cookies which is not really that expensive especially when baked in large batches. The kids and I set a time for baking these goodies and they really enjoy it. On occasions when we travel, we bring home gift souvenirs to teachers who are close to us. The kids do this initiative.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We do give the teachers gifts at Christmas and at the end of the school year to show our appreciation. I have found it much less expensive to give gift cards than actually purchase a gift. It doesn't have to be wrapped and honestly the teachers like it much better anyway. :) They get tons of little gifts and having the gift card is just a nice change.

We usually get Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks in the amount of $10. We also just limit it to their homeroom teachers which cuts down on the cost.
    Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, buying a gift card is something way more expensive than I would be willing to give, but I am sure that the teachers would love that because they can actually spend them in what they want. I think, like you say, it's just a sign of appreciation, it doesn't need to be something expensive because it's given with love. :)

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I knew some people before when I was in grade school who give gifts to teachers. We usually disapprove of this tradition because it can be deemed as bribery. I studied in a public school, so it is illegal to give gifts to teachers. They are considered employees of the government, so they should adhere to the "No Gift Policy" rule. Also, most of the students who give gifts are those who need to have their failed grades modified or changed.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to this this too at Christmas but nothing special. Usually just a box of chocolates for my main teacher. I only did this in primary school so it wasn't really a very costly thing. There were often a couple of parents though that would bring in these extravagant gifts.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that it only makes sense when the kids are small and when there aren't many teachers. When the kids are still under 3 or 4 years old the relationship between parents and teachers is way closer, so it makes sense this sort of gestures, even if it's just a chocolate.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think giving gifts to teachers is the right thing to do to make them happy. But a student must give gifts to only those teachers who are actually worth it. I think it is always better to give gifts to those teachers who prefer to teach well and respect each student as they are. I love to give gifts to teachers who take care of students as their own child and who provide all the valuable lessons of the life.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a nice thing to do to show appreciation for all the hard work they do. Not everyone does or is able to give teachers gifts, but if you can I am sure they will appreciate it.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I feel that some people might not be able to buy because they don't have money, but the majority of people that don't give anything is because they simply don't care, they don't take the time to think about other people and in this case I think we should.