Old Bed

Discussion in Home & Garden started by to7update • Dec 8, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I have a relatively old bed (almost 20 years old now), but it's made from solid wood and it was really expensive at the time. The issue is that the bed makes a lot of noises whenever we make any move on top of it. I checked out new beds and they are really expensive, so I disassembled it and I am buying some new parts just today to see if I can silent it. Maybe a lot of work, but I think I'll be able to solve the issue! :)

Or should I just get a new one? :rolleyes:

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If you think you will be able to fix it and it will cost less then why not do it yourself. Buying a new one could be expensive so if you have other options you should take advantage of them. If you have enough money and prefer a new one that is good too especially if you find a discounted one.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:

Old furniture become an antic piece given their worth. The quality of wood what was used 20 years back is something you cannot get now. Sometimes the varnish of wood gets depleted with time which strips off the oiling in the joints. This gives rise to noise whenever there's a load. You can try to varnish the bed which might help. However, if the cost of repair goes beyond buying a new one, it would be wise to replace it.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly @moondebi@moondebi, that was precisely what I notice when I was seeing beds, the wood these days is no longer wood, so a bed with the wood of mine costed a few thousands and I cannot afford it. The platform bed is made of wood and it wasn't in the right position, so I hope it's fixed now. :) Sometimes nothing like taking a deeper look to save some money.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I also think that if you can fix it and get the right parts you need at a relatively reasonable price then there's no need to buy a new one just yet. A lot of the new beds, and all furniture even aren't as well made as what they used to be, so I'd hang on to that bed as long as you could.

I've noticed that with a lot of things, and just because something isn't new anymore, doesn't automatically mean that it's not fir for purpose and a lot of people end up throwing out items that are more than good enough to still be used just because they are certain amount of years old.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, most new things these days have way inferior quality than they had 10 or 20 years ago. For me it would be way more convenient to throw that one away and get a new one, but I simply cannot afford it and let's face it, what a waste it would be to do that. More, this DIY situation always teach me something, so I am becoming more skilled for the future. :)

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes if the bed is that old, it's best to replace it because it can attract bed bugs, some sorts of germs or even mold that you can't see immediately. If you thoroughly check it and it has no problem, then I suggest you try fixing it yourself if it's cheaper because you may never find a bed that good. I do highly recommend checking it thoroughly or with a black light if possible though most expensive beds don't have this problem.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If you got the skills to fix your old bed yourself then I'd advice you to go ahead. New family beds of high quality are really quite expensive these days, I was recently in the market for one had an idea of their prices If I can make or fix one that would be fine.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem buying parts to fix things. Doing so can be a good way to save some cash. There are lots of good places to shop for quality parts, if you have the know-how to make repairs.

I think I would at least give it a shot before replacing the existing piece. If it doesn't work out, you can always start shopping around for a new bed at that point. There are even sites that let you compare prices and read reviews. You can always head to the stores and make a day of it as well.

Where do you like to shop for furniture? I usually hit the warehouse or factory outlet places to look for deals.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of our old sofa in the living room. It is also made of wood but with removable cushion. When the cushions were worn out, my wife had planned to fix it herself. But when she canvassed for the material, she was surprised that it would be cheaper if she would buy new cushions. That's a lesson in furniture.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well as to cost saving, repairing it to get rid of the squeaking sound of the old bed produced could serve already the purpose, rather than buying a new one, a good one which is too expensive. Besides you've not only saved money but your preserve its antiqueness. Imagine it has served you for 2 decades already.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi said it right. Get it varnished or if you are planning to get a new one why not sell the old one? That way the cost for the new bed can be recovered atleast partially.

13. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    We had am old bed frame that I really like but we had fixed it twice and it was just not fixable anymore, thankfully I found a strong metal one at an auction for 5 dollars (king size). It works pretty good but I do miss my wooden bed frame. I personally do not like buying furniture at all and try to make it last as long as possible (you should see my poor couch) or find them on the curb, so I would probably try to fix the old one first if it is cheaper.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It's no actually antique because even if it has 20 years old, it had a really modern look at the time and it's still contemporary. At the same time, fixing it is way more work than just getting a new one. I've just bought two wood horizontal bars to make it more stable, so it's still an on-going project... :)

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    A solid wood bed, huh. I am not sure why, but I am having trouble picturing what this might look like. I think that I am just overthinking it though. Whatever it is, it sounds kind of cool and something that I would have a hard time parting with.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    LOL, pretty much what I am thinking too @larryl332@larryl332, even more after seeing this new modern beds that are really expensive and seem as fragile as a piece of paper. So, it's an ongoing project, I haven't place those horizontal bars just yet, they are still waiting that I have some time to fix them, but the bed is much better, with a lot less noises. :)