Old Books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Cilivren • Apr 3, 2016.

1. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I don't buy printed books anymore, but I have a lot of books in my house that no one reads now. They take up so much space, and I haven't had much luck in trying to sell them. Still, I simply can't bring myself to throw them away!
    So what do you all do with your books? Do you have a library at home where you keep your books or do you sell/ give them away for free?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I try to sell them and if I cannot sell them online then I will sell them in a yard sale. If I cannot sell them at all, then I will give them to someone who wants to read them or I will give them to charity. I have seen a house that is by my children's school that has made a type of bird house that is large and they use it for a free library. People can take books to read or leave books for others. I think this is a neat idea to do.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Our book collection has been decreased drastically over the years with our frequent moves, but we do still have a book case full. (Books are so heavy to move!) We enjoy hard copies of books better than the e-versions, especially for nonfiction books. We have had some success selling books, either online (on half.com, Amazon, our book-buying sites which pay shipping),our at our home garage sales. If you are looking for places to donate unwanted books, local libraries may accept books for their annual book sales or for their own collection. Schools in need and daycare centers sometimes accept children's books, and of course thrift stores will willingly take book donations as well.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to sell my old books too, but when I can't I just donate them to the library. The library gives you a receipt and you can deduct them at tax time too. Some people say that they have sold old books on e-bay or other sites like e-bay.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on how old the books are. If the books still look new and I can't sell them [I've seen people sell their books for as little as $1, something I never will do] then I'll donate them. It's not like I'll be losing money — the books would be on some shelf collecting dust. It's better to give them to people who will read them.

For those who have friends who love reading, swapping could get your more books to read and save you some money.

6. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I still keep some of them at my house. I got them from older generations. There's some special vibe about it. They look pretty old. However, I can easily read them. What's about the whole vibe thing? Well, they are pretty antique. Sometimes I feel like I could get wise simply by reading them :D