Old clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by xcmiller93x • May 14, 2012.

1. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    There's a local Facebook group called Reruns For Everyone that I have recently found and there's a lot of gently used clothes selling going on on there. I wish that I had known about this earlier, as I had bags and bags and bags of clothes that I just gave away and now I'm thinking I had a few hundred dollars worth of stuff in there. It's a little depressing.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I only ever throw clothes out when they're worn out or stained. If I can, I'll put them in a clothes recycling bin. If it's good stuff I'm just fed up of wearing, I'll sell things at a car boot sale or dress agency, or donate them to a local charity shop. My neighbour and myself are similar sizes, and we have similar tastes in clothes, so very often, we swap around when we're fed up of wearing something.

3. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, I hand down my clothes to my nieces - it's crazy that the eldest can fit into my t-shirts and some tops! Other times, I'll donate them. I have never tried to sell my old clothes, maybe I should give it a try. My old clothes are kept neatly in Ziplocs, and I placed them in boxes. I saw this on Oprah :D and I thought it was neat way to keep things "fresh".

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I never throw those clothes that I think would still be useful. I usually give them to charity and sometimes if I'm feeling artsy, I try to create a new clothing out of them. For example would be my old worn out jeans, I turn them into shorts. :)

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I rip my old clothes up and throw them away. I don't like the idea of someone else wearing my clothes. I take a pair of scissors and I cut them up into pieces, and I put it in a trash bag. I haven't donated clothes before, because by the time I'm ready to throw them out, they have extreme wear and tear. If I have clothes I haven't worn as much, I let friends have them.

6. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    If it is still in good condition, I give my clothes to my cousins and sister.. But if it looks so bad, I just let my dogs have it.. :D

7. chigger

chiggerNew Member

Threads:
    Typically I'll wash them well and donate them to a charity such as Good Will, or to a church. If they're kind of ratty or badly stained or damaged then I keep them. I'll cut them up in that case and use them for cleaning rags. If they aren't the type of fabric to be a cleaning rag, then I"ll cut them into squares to use in a quilt later, or pile them into a zipper-pillow case for the dogs to sleep on. In some occasions they can be bedding for small animals too.

8. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    With old clothing that i really loved wearing, but was worn out, i would make into pillows.It works awesome and its super easy!
    Try and get pattern clothing or different textures, cheap way for pillows and they look great! If you have a favorite shirt with some kind of saying (twilight, abercrombie, hollister, cutie, ext) you can find a pillow case almost the same color, cut the shirt to like the logo or something, and then sew it on!

9. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the condition of the clothes. If it's irredeemable, I just shred them up and use them as cleaning rags or toss them out. That seems to be the case with most of my shirts since I like to wear them till they tear up (I hate clothes shopping). If the clothes is still in good condition, I'd try giving them away to other family members. I also fold some up to stash away. We always have friends traveling overseas so we give it to them to hand out to their family there (it's a third world country so they are really appreciative for the clothes). And finally, I'd donate to places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army.

10. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    That is a brilliant idea, katniss - thanks for sharing! I have a number of favourite t-shirts that I didn't want to throw away or donate them (I love them THAT much!) and I might just use this idea. Maybe buy cheap pillow cases and saw the t-shirts on them!

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how worn the clothes are. Any childrens clothing that is in good shape I give to my friends for thier kids. If the clothing is stained or in poor condition, then I just toss it.

Any of my own clothing that no longer fits me, I donate to the Am Vets or Good Will.

12. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I try to donate, though I am just about to have a baby and I have some maternity stuff that is in almost brand new condition. I wish there was a place around here to sell some stuff back to so other people could use it and I could make back a little bit of cash. There is a place near us for my daughter's clothes, but no maternity clothes. I usually try to sell stuff on e-bay and if I don't have any luck, then I just donate it or let my sister take a look...

13. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Another good tip I got from a friend the other day is to have a clothes swopping party. The idea is for all your girlfriends to bring along clothes they no longer wear or doesn't fit anymore and swop it for something else in the clothes pile. Each friend can bring a plate of snacks and a bottle of wine/soft drinks and you have a party going! Something like a bookclub just without the books. :D Its a good girls night out and everyone goes home with new outfit.

14. imokaye

imokayeMember

Threads:
    I keep them as long as I could. LOL. But when I realize that I can never really use it anymore, I give them away to friends and children of family friends that are less fortunate. Since I don't think that more fortunate ones would take old clothes. ;)

15. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    We usually have a garage sale and try to sell the clothes. I sell them dirt cheap just to get them out. People come and buy clothes by the bags. Whatever I don't sell I donate to our local Goodwill. I never throw clothes away unless they have holes, are torn, or are extremely faded and do look fit for anyone to wear anymore.

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the clothing itself. For example, I had a jacket that was worth $125 but I bought it for $25. Unfortunately, I didn't like it after a few months and I sold it to a buddy of mine. The rest, though, I donate to Goodwill, Value Village or other clothing donor organizations. If there is a massive rip or a lot of stains I will just throw it out.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me: I should go through my old things and give up what I don't wear anymore soon. I have too many things in my closet, haha!

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always give our old clothes to the less fortunate people who work for us when our house needs repairs. Sometimes we leave our old clothes and old shoes on top of our garbage can lid and a while later, the clothes are gone, someone took them already. :D

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If my old clothes are in good condition, then I donate them. If they are old and worn out with stains, in the trash they go.
    At one point, I was a recipient of donated clothes. I try to pay it forward whenever I can.

20. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    If I have old clothes that I don't or can't wear anymore (usually because of smaller size than my current ones), I ask my sisters first if they would want it. If they don't, I give them away to relatives or less fortunate neighbours. My family usually does that as those clothes may not be useful for us anymore, but it'll be a big help for the others.