Old Coins

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Sep 9, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Do you save old coins when they go out of circulation? It's possible they could be valuable in years to come and you could sell them to make money. I have some old coins which went out of circulation in my country in the 1970s when decimalisation came into being and our monetary system changed.

Do you have any coins which could be valuable in years to come?

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have a few, but am not saving them in the hope that they will gain value in years to come. I am just saving them as a remembrance of where I have come from.

From how things are going, cash payment is slowly being wiped out of the face of the earth. Just like our ancestors did barter trade but now it barely exists. The world is embracing digital payment since it's safer and lighter and as a result, the coins I think are more likely to lose value.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I did have some old coins that my father had given me but I have sold them because I needed the money. Most of them were silver coins that were made in 1964 and before. Coins aren't made from pure silver anymore. I had a nice little amount of them because sometimes I would find some at work and would exchange them. I also had a couple of coins from the late 1800's but they weren't really worth too much because they were pretty worn. I think it is cool to have old coins because it makes you wonder about the people who had them when they were new.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't save old coins, but now that you mentioned it, then I would be inclined to save at least one when I come across one so that I may be able to sell it in the future. I think it could be worth a substantial amount of money if you find the right buyer.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    My brother likes keeping old coins. He also has some foreign coins but he can't use them unless he converts them into our local currency. I also doubt if old coins will ever be valuable in my country but is good to keep them for old memories.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I do keep some old coins and also foreign coins since I was young. I didn't really think of selling them, but just started to have this hobby as my parents gave each of us a $1 old coin when we were young. I just find it quite nice to pass these coins to my children or even grandchildren as a collection. These are some good memories to share with the kids.

7. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    My main hobbies are collecting coins, banknotes and stamps. I have been collecting coins since I was 12 years old. I have a passion to collect old coins of my country as well as many other countries. Steadily, I have built a good collection and hope to collect more rare old coins in the future. Someday my coin collection will be worth a lot of money. Same goes for my stamp and banknote collection.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am an informal coin collector because I was collecting coins since I was in grade school. My collection started with local coins dating to the year 1900 up to 1945, from 1 centavo to 1 peso coins. I tried to sell it before but I was not able to get a good price so I just kept it in the hope that the value will increase over time. Now I am also collecting coins from the countries that I visit and they are a lot. Coins are good for saving because they never decrease in value and they don't get destroyed unlike paper money.

9. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Collecting coins is a great hobby. Old coins of any country are rare. Even foreign coins are interesting to collect. You should keep on collecting old coins as their value will keep on increasing.