Old Tv Consumes More Electricity

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alexandoy • Jan 23, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend bought a second hand tv that he brought to the province as gift to his father. It was cheap since it is an old model. But the electricity consumption is almist 3 times of a 40-inch LCD tv. And to think that the old tv is only 20 inches. Truly the LCD tv is Thrifty in consumption even against the plasma tv.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I never thought about and I own an older TV too. It has almost been a year since I've used it because it no longer works so I have no TV at the moment. The only thing I knew is that a plasma was more costly than an LCD but never imagened that the older ones cost more based on electricity usage.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That is very much true. Not only TV but old models of all electric and electronic products consume more electricity. The R&D departments of all reputed companies work constantly on reducing the consumption of energy which they display prominently. For example I have just replaced my old 220 lit capacity refrigerator with a 350 lit one which consumes lesser energy what my old one was consuming. Same goes for TV, the older ones with valves have been replaced by solid state technology and with every passing day they are working on reducing the consumption as much as possible which they present as plus point for their product.

4. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Energy consumption wasn't so much of a concern with older products. Now, with brownouts and green awareness a lot of firms are trying to make electronic devices more efficient. There's one thing to watch out for with TVs: their standby mode can use almost as much electricity as if the TV was on. If you have one of those modern models and leave it in standby all day, you will find your electricity costs going up!

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is technically correct. The old model TV uses CRT monitor which eats much of the electricity to function. Now the latest type of TV monitor is LED (Light Emitting Device) which consumes less electricity. We rejected or already disposed our old TV set and changed it with LED type of monitor. And we have paid less electricity bill.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is something I hadn't really thought about, but yeah, it makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the TV in the other room, to make sure it's not pulling crazy amounts of power (the kids play games on that one). I guess we really do have to watch and be aware of everything these days.

We got a new TV for Christmas as a family gift instead of buying each other individual items. That one should be fine.

I would like to know where to dispose of old TVs though. I'd really like to get rid of the old one. It takes up a lot of space, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get rid of it either. Any advice is appreciated.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I can really just picture all the energy that gets sucked up and wasted by those giant television that used to be so popular. It is kind of funny looking back on how enormous those things were and hard to move, and I say good riddance.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I haven't thought about this before I quite believe old TVs would consume more electricity than the modern ones common in the market these days. It's like old electronics were manufactured in their time with little or no thought about energy economy. Talking about cars I know that old cars are less fuel economy.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

The problem, though, with flat screens is they are only built to perform at the highest functionality in a range of 5 to 10 years. However, plasmas are at the higher end of that range. On the other hand, old school TVs might last 25 years or more.

Anyhow, whenever stating about the total life of a tv, you have to take into account how much it is being used. Of course, TVs used more die out quicker.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Based on my experience, any old appliances consumes a lot of electricity, whether it's TV, refrigerator or air conditioner. We have old appliances in our home and we replaced all of them with new ones, not the top of the line brands but just to lessen the electric consumption of the old appliances. Inverter appliances are common nowadays and they are indeed expensive, but I think it's worth it because they consume less in electricity so you can save more in the long run.